GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I know I've been seeing only half-empty glasses ever since I learned that Ritz-Carlton will never ever open another hotel in the entire state of Texas. ;-)

That is funny since they are developing one in Dallas as we speak. It is being developed in conjunction with Crescent and is being build right across the street from the Crescent Hotel. The Ritz Carlton is very interested in building a new hotel in Houston and I would not be suprised if it is developed as part of the Post Oak Projects. The Glass is half full again !!! :)

BTW, is this the biggest thread on HAIF. Nearly 1200 replies is crazy !! Good Work to all.

Edited by Trophy Property

That is funny since they are developing one in Dallas as we speak. It is being developed in conjunction with Crescent and is being build right across the street from the Crescent Hotel. The Ritz Carlton is very interested in building a new hotel in Houston and I would not be suprised if it is developed as part of the Post Oak Projects. The Glass is half full again !!! :)

they have been looking for a site here in houston for the past 5+ years. not in a rush and waiting for the perfect location.

I meant another hotel beyond the one under construction in Dallas (sorry if I was unclear). And when I say "I learned" that there will be no additional Ritz-Carlton's in Texas EVER, I was being sarcastic. That is what we were told in another thread by a certain board member who is a resident of a certain Texas metro area. ;)

Personally, I have no doubt that there will once again be a Ritz-Carlton in Houston, probably within 5 years or less.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I meant another hotel beyond the one under construction in Dallas (sorry if I was unclear). And when I say "I learned" that there will be no additional Ritz-Carlton's in Texas EVER, I was being sarcastic. That is what we were told in another thread by a certain board member who is a resident of a certain Texas metro area. ;)

Personally, I have no doubt that there will once again be a Ritz-Carlton in Houston, probably within 5 years or less.

Gottcha. Sarcasim never works as well in print as it does live in person. Thanks for the clarification.

Does any one know why they dug up the asphalt on the corner of the lot on the block of San Jacinto St and Polk St? They started on that right after they announced that the Pavilions was going to be built I would have gotten a picture of the crew but every time I was downtown I did not have my camera with me this is what it looked like on June 10th.

125p1yo.jpg

Edited by eelimon

your camera takes pictures of the future? what model is that?

Yes I messed up on the date thank you...but yeah I bought the camera in Japan you can't buy it here yet. Sorry . It takes pictures 24 hours in the future...

Oh and WELCOME to page:125rlnd.jpg

Edited by eelimon

Back on subject, can anyone see a Barnes & Noble or Borders with extended hours at the Pavillions? It'd be nice to walk to a bookstore/coffee shop at 3:30am and read a book or hang out all night on a balcony or patio downtown with no alcohol involved. I'd DEFINATELY go there after a dj set, clubbing, or hanging out at House of Blues or Main Street. Do you think other Houstonians would also?

There are plenty of 24 hour bookstores around town for you to "relax" in. I guess that is not what you mean though. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
I mean something like that or Borders within Downtown where business people and college people could relax between hours, after work, and at night.

It's a great idea, but it's also a money-losing idea. Witness Kaveh Kane's.

Any news regarding construction at Houston Pavillions ?

Also do like the book store idea. If Starbucks is opening at Preston/Main then I definately believe the bookstore concept could also work in the area. Basically, think that there is a lack of things to do downtown in the entire downtown area in between the hours of 5pm-10pm. The biggest question I think isn't so much what might work, but who is going to be the first retailer or (combined group of retailers ) that appeal to a daytime crowd and 5pm-10pm crowd that will commit to opening downtown, that will actually give people that do work downtown something to do after work that will keep them in the area instead of jumping into rush hour traffic ?

Edited by mainvoice

Have you ever seen the 24-hour Starbucks across the street from the Galleria? If a 24-hour Starbucks were at Pavillions, plus a 24-hour bookstore like Barnes and Noble or Borders, it could work knowing that Pavillions will have residential lofts within it. House of Blues is perfect for tourists, but Pavillions could also be a playground and hang-out for downtown residents.

Well, there may be lofts as part of the Pavillions, and there may be some 4,500 or so residents living downtown aside from those who might live at the Pavillions, but that still may not be enough of a critical mass to support something like a 24-hour fitness, 24-hour Starbucks or a 24-hour bookstore. I think once you start getting into the tens of thousands you can start talking 24-hour services, IMHO.

I don't disagree with the bookstore or the fitness center(s) but I doubt that the 24-hour concept would work given the current demographics downtown.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Well, there may be lofts as part of the Pavillions, and there may be some 4,500 or so residents living downtown aside from those who might live at the Pavillions, but that still may not be enough of a critical mass to support something like a 24-hour fitness, 24-hour Starbucks or a 24-hour bookstore. I think once you start getting into the tens of thousands you can start talking 24-hour services, IMHO.

I don't disagree with the bookstore or the fitness center(s) but I doubt that the 24-hour concept would work given the current demographics downtown.

How much critical mass existed downtown back when Main street was thriving and retail stores were found all along Main Street years ago. Keep in mind that this was prior to light rail ? I have to think that the Houston Pavillions group decided to do this because the demographics do support retail as a whole. I would guess that there is more critical mass downtown perhaps than there has ever been. What do you think ?

How much critical mass existed downtown back when Main street was thriving and retail stores were found all along Main Street years ago. Keep in mind that this was prior to light rail ? I have to think that the Houston Pavillions group decided to do this because the demographics do support retail as a whole. I would guess that there is more critical mass downtown perhaps than there has ever been. What do you think ?

Malls and the suburbs killed Main Street. When I was growing up the only place to shop was Main Street unless you wanted to shop at Weiners. Gulfgate, Northwest, the Galleria, Sharpstown all had the major stores. Why schlep DT when you could buy the same things at Foley's or Penney's at NW mall?

Now malls-except the Galleria-seem to be going out of fashion. The current trend is the Town and Country model: open air and parking in front.

B)

Have you ever seen the 24-hour Starbucks across the street from the Galleria? If a 24-hour Starbucks were at Pavillions, plus a 24-hour bookstore like Barnes and Noble or Borders, it could work knowing that Pavillions will have residential lofts within it. House of Blues is perfect for tourists, but Pavillions could also be a playground and hang-out for downtown residents.

A large bookstore downtown we might see very soon my friends...very soon

I didn't know the 24-hour starbucks was even in exsistance until a week ago. Its lively, but usually teenagers... Even when the lobby is not closed, people sit outside. A downtown one might be too scary because of the Homeless, which drives people away. Even sitting in a particular cafe in Montrose at odd hours of the night, the homeless/bums will walk by asking for money, I refused this one guy who threw a nickle at me.

Maybe it being in the Pavillions is a little more secure?

I didn't know the 24-hour starbucks was even in exsistance until a week ago. Its lively, but usually teenagers... Even when the lobby is not closed, people sit outside. A downtown one might be too scary because of the Homeless, which drives people away. Even sitting in a particular cafe in Montrose at odd hours of the night, the homeless/bums will walk by asking for money, I refused this one guy who threw a nickle at me.

Maybe it being in the Pavillions is a little more secure?

I think if a homeless guys threw a nickle at me I would have to come back with something like: "Sweet, thanks for the change loser, I guess we know why you are homeless." I would probably get killed, but I would try anyways.

The question isn't about retail itself. The question is about the 24-hour variety. That's where things get dicey. There weren't many (if any) 24-hour "stores" downtown in the 50s and 60s either.

The question isn't about retail itself. The question is about the 24-hour variety. That's where things get dicey. There weren't many (if any) 24-hour "stores" downtown in the 50s and 60s either.

So why do we need a 24 hour variety. I think 24 hours can come later but for now I think we really could use a lot more that gave people something to do during the day and between 5pm-10pm. This guy from out of town stopped me yesterday and asked me what was wrong with the downtown area in this big city of Houston ? Where is everybody and why isn't there anything to do ? I directed him to a restaurant. He thought it was really bizarre and it actually kind of is when you think about it and thats another reason that I say there is basically nothing to do downtown between the hours of 5pm - 10 pm.

hey everyone....

first off, i have been reading the boards for a while now, you know, all stealthy like :ph34r:

anyway, so i work for a temporary utility equipment company (here in houston, btw). i took a call from an engineering firm today looking for 3000 tons of temporary cooling for a '3 block project downtown.' so of course, me being nosey, i asked him if it was the pavillions. he seemed totally shocked, but responded 'yeah, actually'. basically they are putting together back-up plans for cooling the project...

so, the gears are turning...

hey everyone....

first off, i have been reading the boards for a while now, you know, all stealthy like :ph34r:

anyway, so i work for a temporary utility equipment company (here in houston, btw). i took a call from an engineering firm today looking for 3000 tons of temporary cooling for a '3 block project downtown.' so of course, me being nosey, i asked him if it was the pavillions. he seemed totally shocked, but responded 'yeah, actually'. basically they are putting together back-up plans for cooling the project...

so, the gears are turning...

great news, welcome to the forum and keep on snooping!