GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Maybe in Midtown, maybe along Main downtown. There are several scoping out locations right now. By early 2008 at least one should be open.

I'm curious to know where you guys would like to see a movie theater.

In the historic district. Where so many were removed. Maybe where Shamrock Tower was suppose to go. Close to the Rice.

largeTEXAS

Where do you see a Movie theater nearby being built? Where is it most appropriate? Midtown? South a few block from the Pavilions?

Close to the Pavillions off of main preferably near a Metro Rail stop. OR Midtown Near the HCC Metro Rail Stop. There is more land out there and it is probably cheaper

More details:

Months of negotiations ended last week as Houston City Council and Mayor Bill White tweaked the rules to provide a tax break for a major downtown development.

The action removed a roadblock to construction of Houston Pavilions, a $200 million mixed-use project planned by the team of Houston developer Geoff Jones and William Denton of California-based Entertainment Development Group...................

"It's very significant for downtown and the city in general," says the native Houstonian. "I don't recall anything of this magnitude coming to downtown with retail, commercial and residential."......

Says Hagstette: "With every project that happens in the downtown area, there is a tendency to characterize it as the be-all, end-all to solve all our problems, and I don't want to give the idea that this project falls into that category. But this project is breaking new ground in a new market -- urban retail -- and in that sense it's going to be extraordinarily influential."

Full story: City retools TIRZ for project

Project still moving along... I hope this urban retail brings in other retail especially on the east side of downtown.

Says Hagstette: "With every project that happens in the downtown area, there is a tendency to characterize it as the be-all, end-all to solve all our problems, and I don't want to give the idea that this project falls into that category. But this project is breaking new ground in a new market -- urban retail -- and in that sense it's going to be extraordinarily influential."

That's what I'm talking about.

Alamo Drafthouse downtown... now there's a great idea! I love that place, but West Oaks Mall is just too damn far out to drive for a movie and dinner. And after sitting through a movie Friday night while stranded in Alabama surrounded by teenagers that wouldn't shut up I'm all in favor of theaters that serve alcohol and have age restrictions as a result. At least this time nobody's cell phone rang and nobody's baby cried.

as for the movie theater discussion.... I don't think your run of the mill cinema concept would be good for downtown nor economically viable... I do think that a theater like the Alamo Drafthouse would be ideal either in midtown or in the Pavillions...

Great point!

My imagination is going wild here. I would love to see recliner style seating. I would pay a premium for that. I say about $15-$17 per-person. Concession stands would serve better food.

They could have a waiter service via remote; you could click on a touch screen, and select what ever you want. The servers could walk up and down the isle with night vision goggles. Seating could accommodate foot space for servers to get to any seat.

Scharpe...

Alamo Drafthouse does do rentals for corporate events/seminars, and with the tables provided at every row it is ideal for that purpose as business people can put their papers on there and laptops etc...

I graduated from UT back in '98 when there was only 1 Alamo Drafthouse in Austin... now there are 3 there I think and the one here at West Oaks Mall... I believe they have one coming soon to Deerbrook Mall as well... from talking to one of the managers the reason they haven't invested yet inside Houston is that land is expensive and there aren't any old theaters to purchase and convert... call me crazy, but I think their business model fits in perfectly with the downtown crowd... fun campy and cult films during the week with drink specials to attract the nearest residents and your mainstream releases all week long to keep people coming in...

anyone have access to some venture capitalists? if the AD people aren't in on this deal I should be!

there are four in austin now, just went to lake creek last weekend. looks like there's going to be one on south mason road in katy coming soon.

so they are expanding in houston, i agree downtown would be a great place for one.

maybe we can email the drafhouse and the pavilions and introduce them to each other.

Edited by skwatra

This is something new I found today on Houston Pavillions. I'm sorry if it is repetitive but it does give an exact location.

City and county officials are planning governmental incentives to induce the development of Houston Pavillions, a $200 million mixed use project proposed for downtown Houston. The project will be bordered by Main, Caroline, Polk and Dallas. It will include 200 condo units, an office tower and almost 400,000 sf of retail. The development group includes William Denton of California and Geoff Jones, a Houston developer who is also affiliated with CB RIchard Ellis.

The won't break bround untill all the TIRZ situation is finished off. The city council agreed on the measure, just more paperwork and permit issues will have to be ironed out.

They just can't start building. The construction of this size facility will create some traffic issues in downtown. Measures need to be in place for the contruction of this facility. The project is moving forward nicely with all the pieces falling into place so far. The developer is committed to the project and is financing plan was based upon the cities help with the TIRZ. I thinking the devloper is now securing financing which will allow for construction to start in the future.

Just ignore AWACS, he does not know what he is talking about.

Also city kid, those pictures are for the site of boulevard place. That is in uptown, no where near the proposed pavillions site.

I think AWACS is an alarmist who likes to send out bad news even if it is not true

:angry:

Edited by editor

Houston Pavilions will not have a movie theater. The econonomics don't work.

Well, maybe they rehash everything and see if they can make just the economics work, instead of the econonomics. <_<;) :DI think everyone makes a valid point about a nother theater, I'm sure it would be a contrast to the Angelika, maybe play some Rocky Horror, at the new one. Or Angelika could have it, that would be fun for the late night artsy fartsy crowd.

Edited by TJones

Well, maybe they rehash everything and see if they can make just the economics work, instead of the econonomics. <_<;) :DI think everyone makes a valid point about a nother theater, I'm sure it would be a contrast to the Angelika, maybe play some Rocky Horror, at the new one. Or Angelika could have it, that would be fun for the late night artsy fartsy crowd.

economics vs. econonomics

a nother vs another

THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!!

B)

economics vs. econonomics

a nother vs another

THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!!!!!

B)

You mean to tell me it's not , a nother ? See, being a smart@$$ never pays off around here. Karma is a MOTHER !

Me and my FAT FINGERS !

.........and to top it off, I GET NUMBER 500 !!!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO !

:blink:

Edited by TJones