Houston sightings

editor

Fox 26 planning on doing a special on the diverse communities in Houston, which effects Texas & the entire United States next week! Wondering how people like TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick [R] will react when they see the Texas or America they know changing into a more racially diverse place ?

Does this explain why we're seeing Voter ID laws, etc., from the Legislature in order to hold back the inevitably of seeing the Anglo population declining as racial minorities becoming a majority in Texas?

I don't think the Anglo population is declining?  I think that the other populations are growing and the anglo population is stable?

Regardless I think the voter ID laws are a way of combating some democratic votes...  Frankly I'm in favor of Texas splitting into 5 states!  No reason Houston should EVER be affected by some senator or congressman/woman from Pecos or the Valley or elsewhere.  Won't ever happen, but if it does - I won't fight against it.

• Like 1

Fox 26 planning on doing a special on the diverse communities in Houston, which effects Texas & the entire United States next week! Wondering how people like TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick [R] will react when they see the Texas or America they know changing into a more racially diverse place ?

Does this explain why we're seeing Voter ID laws, etc., from the Legislature in order to hold back the inevitably of seeing the Anglo population declining as racial minorities becoming a majority in Texas?

You should get a job as a barista at Starbucks.

• Like 3

It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Sometimes 26 sounds a whole lot like the national component, sometimes it sounds more like a product of Houston - a city that hasn't had a majority of anything for a while, and is often quite comfortable with things like what I call "collision cuisine" - like freshly house made banh mi with freshly house made churros for dessert.  On the same menu.  That offers beignets, croissants, and boudin kolaches at breakfast.  

Edited by mollusk

• 3 weeks later...

It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Sometimes 26 sounds a whole lot like the national component, sometimes it sounds more like a product of Houston - a city that hasn't had a majority of anything for a while, and is often quite comfortable with things like what I call "collision cuisine" - like freshly house made banh mi with freshly house made churros for dessert.  On the same menu.  That offers beignets, croissants, and boudin kolaches at breakfast.  

Didn't realize it was going to be a longer-term series. Looks fairly interesting thus far.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/category/298788/houston-the-new-face-of-america

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Brain with David Eagleman on PBS is pretty much all in Houston and has some incredible architecture shots from around town and inside buildings. It's a new 6 part series definitely worth watching. You can stream them online for free.

I had noticed that too and had been wondering what the connection was.  Just Googled David Eagleman:

"David Eagleman is a neuroscientist and writer at Baylor College of Medicine, where he directs the Laboratory for Perception and Action and the Initiative on Neuroscience and Law."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Weather Channel has had someone down at Buffalo Bayou Park most of the afternoon, primarily near the Sabine Street bridge to talk about possible flooding. Good shots of the low clouds passing through and obscuring some of the skyscrapers at times.

Actually had a good discussion with Anne Olson from the Buffalo Bayou Partnership about the recent renovations and how it was designed to handle flood events.

• Like 2

From an episode of Major Lazer in which they have to defeat a villain in Houston named Double Cup who created a purple drink laced with cough syrup that slows everyone down and "chops and screws" up things.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ArchMemoH said:

what are houston sightings

Anytime you spot Houston, be it a setting or a shot of the skyline, anywhere but Houston or national news (i.e. If you see a car commercial in another state that features the skyline or overseas and spot a cellular company advertisement and see Houston). Book or Movie setting or filmed in. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, LarryDierker said:

The new TV series 'Preacher' set in Texas and based on the comic by the same name had some shots of downtown as seen from the Bayou in episode 3 or 4.

Thought that was the Houston skyline. Love that show. 

There's a new show on Animal Planet called "Lone Star Law". It's a reality show about Texas Game Wardens that shows them at work in various areas of the state. One of this week's cases showed one of the Game Wardens investigating an alligator attack on a swimmer near Baytown. The victim survived and was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where the Game Warden is shown interviewing the victim's family outside the hospital. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Air New Zealand featured a picture of the Houston skyline in their travel magazine. I guess whoever chose the photo thought we were on a lake and weren't in the middle of a major flood which is why it's of note. Really a non-news item, but kinda funny.

http://www.chron.com/life/travel/article/Air-New-Zealand-travel-magazine-used-flood-photo-10622817.php 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...