The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Yikes, and their website says there are 50 store fronts. So in year, they will still have 44 empty retail spaces?

no bueno

Actually, if Tootsies is indeed going to take over 34,000 sq feet of space, then it's more space than any pre-allotted amount and will most likely reduce the total number of store fronts down from the original 50 or so (biggest I see according to the original plans is 12,000+ sq feet.

Also looking at the floor plan Level 1 and Level 2 There are allotted spaces (prior to construction) for Wildfish, Social House, The Pie Bar, Swig, and a Microplex. If those are indeed still going to be present then that cuts it down to 39. Not sure the status on any of these, but they are on the plans...

One thing I wish they would have is a nice pool hall. There's really nothing super close to this area now, the Slick Willies on 59 between Weslayan and Buffalo isn't there and the only other place for pool super close in the 77098 or 77027 zip is Harlow's inside the Edwards Grand Palace movie theater. If I'm wrong please enlighten me, I miss playing pool...

One thing I wish they would have is a nice pool hall. There's really nothing super close to this area now, the Slick Willies on 59 between Weslayan and Buffalo isn't there and the only other place for pool super close in the 77098 or 77027 zip is Harlow's inside the Edwards Grand Palace movie theater. If I'm wrong please enlighten me, I miss playing pool...

There is a Slick Willies there on Westheimer near Montrose

Thanks fates, I knew of that one but wasn't sure if there was something closer eluding me... been a while, and been forever since I went to that particular one... it's about time though, I think.

So the Menu of Menu thing was pretty cool. Parked in the retail portion of the garage underground... they have a pretty big garage, really tall ceilings, lots of space, and escalators right up into the heart of it all.

The event took place on the ground level of Building 1 on the north half of it. So far just one big open unfinished space, but it served the purpose very well. It was super packed for a little bit, took me 20 minutes to get Sushi at the Sushi King table, but for $35 to enter and try all that food and wine (maybe I had too much wine?) it was a good time. They had a live band playing outside which was a nice touch.

Houston Press had some photos from last night Here but they are mostly to promote the event and the food, but you get s few glimpses of West Ave here and there.

Edited by Geoff8201

• 1 month later...

after seeing what i posted above and then reading nancy's article again, i wonder if that phase 3 might be a tower of some kind. There's not enough room to building anything else except maybe two or three levels of an extension of phase I. What do yall think? looks prime for a hotel or condo tower if you ask me :)

Also, there's TONS of room for Phase II (WAY more than Phase I)...can't wait to see what they come up for that. The rendering we have now looks tiny compared to the amount of land available.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/sarnoff/5448931.html

The developers are looking at nearby tracts for what could lead to a hotel, office space, condo tower and more shopping space.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Top-of-the-market apartments do tend to lease fast provided a couple of months of concessions and--oh yeah--19 months to lease up. I'd also point out that Bivins is citing units that are pre-leased, not occupied. Occupancy is 89% (meaning that average monthly absorption was 18 units, not especially impressive). The percentage of both leased and occupied units is actually down since having peaked this July.

Come on Ralph, I know you're a better writer than this. Is it that you think that stroking some egos will help you get early leads on breaking stories?

Top-of-the-market apartments do tend to lease fast provided a couple of months of concessions and--oh yeah--19 months to lease up. I'd also point out that Bivins is citing units that are pre-leased, not occupied. Occupancy is 89% (meaning that average monthly absorption was 18 units, not especially impressive). The percentage of both leased and occupied units is actually down since having peaked this July.

Come on Ralph, I know you're a better writer than this. Is it that you think that stroking some egos will help you get early leads on breaking stories?

Maybe I've asked you this before, but where do I find out the occupancy rates of a certain place? An insider or a website? I need to bookmark if a website.

Maybe I've asked you this before, but where do I find out the occupancy rates of a certain place? An insider or a website? I need to bookmark if a website.

If you want to pay money, you can get an account with Reis, ADS, or O'Connor & Associates.

Otherwise, call them, sound professional, and ask. Didn't you work at VCR? You should be a natural.

• 4 months later...

Found this "updated" site plan for Phase II.

Looks like a hotel with a garage on the far wast side, a office mid-rise on the southwest side, mixed-use (retail/residential) on southern/middle portion (words that have "residential lobby"), two one-story retail/restaurant plats on the far east side, and "retail above" and a "theatre lobby" on the middle/northern portion.

gallery_723_64_22924.jpg

http://www.page-partners.com/flyers/WestAve/westave_package.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What? Why? Fashion boutiques are exactly what this development was aiming for.

Understood. Excepting Tootsies - look at the lineup. Two salons, an audio store, and a men's custom clothing shop. Fine for residents that are in the top 1%, but isn't going to bring much foot traffic. I give Bang & Olufsen eight months before they relocate.

The line-up seems perfect to me. The people that I know that are in that area's demographic spend their money in stores like these.

A custom clothing shop for men just outside River Oaks? -- Perfect. My friends that make 3 times the money I do live in the area and they buy all custom tailored clothing. A Zegna shop would be good too.

Bang & Olufsen just outside River Oaks? -- Where else are their customers going to come from?

Trust me.. you don't want other developers emulating this developer. There are some ate up aspects to this project that I wish I could share.

From a design standpoint.. its okay.. but that praise should be directed towards whatever architect they hired.

Why can't you share them with us?

The line-up seems perfect to me. The people that I know that are in that area's demographic spend their money in stores like these.

A custom clothing shop for men just outside River Oaks? -- Perfect. My friends that make 3 times the money I do live in the area and they buy all custom tailored clothing. A Zegna shop would be good too.

Bang & Olufsen just outside River Oaks? -- Where else are their customers going to come from?

I find Zegna's styles a little bland. Too safe.

I don't have an issue with any of the individual stores. My point is related to the overall mix of stores. My concern is that they are not creating an overall shopping experience and that is exactly what this kind of layout should drive. You have a couple of individual stores that may be a destination, but you don't have a mix of stores that encourage further shopping. You may come to the center to buy custom clothing, but are you then going to get your haircut and buy a new stereo while you're there?

On the plus side, I think that the restaurant mix is really good so far.

On the plus side, I think that the restaurant mix is really good so far.

I don't think the developer knew what he wanted his tenant mix to be when they started that project. They have leased to way more restaurants than they initially planned for.

They had numerous issues with additional plumbing and waste needs... all made the more difficult because the slabs were prestressed, so they couldnt just drill all willy-nilly to add 2nd level plumbing.

• 1 month later...

I don't see why this trend should not continue in the area. The model is succeeding, they ought to keep pushing; buying more land in the area and expanding.. I think I've said this before, but I hope this brings confidence to Oaks District and High Street.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some photos from my walkthrough after happy hour at Chuy's last week. It is VERY nicely done. And it already feels like there are more people walking on the sidewalks on this part of Kirby than there were a few years ago. This is what urban development should be.

img2125h.jpg

img2124bf.jpg

• Like 1