HNathoo

East Village at 1201 St. Emanuel

144 posts in this topic

I heard from someone in the real estate community that this property traded hands.

Does anyone know what the new owners plans are? I believe the restaurant depot store has already shut down.

I believe that property is going to be developed into mixed use with retail and creative/community work spaces. It may also incorporate part of the block south... next to the building being developed into the comedy club.

1 person likes this

Ancorian's new retail development at 1201 St. Emanuel, East Village is coming soon. From their website:

East Village is a 60,000 SF mixed use project in the heart of east downtown Houston. The project is the first of its kind in EaDo and includes concepts from some of Houston and Dallas’ most talented and respected operators.

More from Swamplot

Houston’s Own East Village Planned Next to 8th Wonder Brewery in East Downtown

From the folks currently in the process of bringing you Heights Mercantile: plans for East Village, a 2-block mixed-use complex planned along St. Emanuel and Hutchins Sts. between Polk and Lamar in East Downtown — a few blocks south of the Dynamo’s BBVA Compass Stadium, and across 59 from the George R. Brown Convention Center and Discovery Green. Real estate investment and development firm Ancordian (founded by Finial co-founders Neil Martin and Michael Sperandio with Matthew Donowho) is behind the development; as of two months ago, land for the project (across the street from the Yen Huong Bakery and the now-closed Kim Hung Supermarket) was still being acquired.

A few renderings are up on the Ancordian portfolio website — the view above is of a Lamar-facing courtyard and a renovated version of the warehouse currently housing Kitchen Depot. But a presentation dated late November shows many additional angles, siteplans, and renderings of the planned development, one block of which is credited to the design firm of Austin-based Michael Hsu, and the other to Māk Studio Architecture:

Māk did the 1201 St. Emanuel St. block (on the left above, south of Dallas St. across Hutchins from 8th Wonder); a more detailed view of the siteplan includes a “creative office” space tucked into the L of the forthcoming Secret Group comedy club, as well as retail spaces, a parking lot, and an area labeled for Air BNB rental:

A conceptual rendering of the corner of Dallas St. and St. Emanuel (bottom right in the site plan above) incorporates the structure of an existing warehouse on the site:

Meanwhile, on the north side of Dallas St., Hsu’s section (referred to as 2118 Lamar in the presentation deck) includes several large outdoor areas, an office building, restaurants, and a distillery:

More conceptual renderings also incorporate some existing structures into their designs — check out the corner of Lamar and St. Emmanuel:

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
4 people like this

East Village in EaDo at 1201 St Emanuel site plans

BLNiTu1.jpg

d6qngqr.jpg

blHZ55D.jpg

Kyw9Uyy.jpg

4 people like this

The distillery at 2118 Lamar St, corner of Lamar and Hutchins at EaDo's East Village is Our/Vodka, according to CultureMap and Twitter.

12501711_165765093788185_642767738_n.jpg
[Photo from Our Houston Vodka on Instagram]

From CultureMap

Vodka-fueled party place headed to EaDo as international distillery teams up with Houston duo

Two Houstonians who are experts in helping other people have a good time are bringing the city a new place to party, fundraise and compete. Fresh off the success of the Day for Night festival, Omar Afra and Dutch Small have joined forces to open a Houston branch of the global Our/Vodka project in East Downtown. 

Established in Sweden in partnership with spirits giant Pernod Ricard, Our/Vodka is a series of micro distilleries in cities around the world including Amsterdam, Berlin, London, Detroit and Seattle. In each city, the company partners with creatively-minded people who help source local ingredients for the vodka and program events at the distillery. Currently working its way through the permitting process, the facility should open later this year.

"One day I get a call from this guy named Thurman," Afra recalls. "He says, 'Yo man. Opening a distillery in Houston, are you interested?' I said, 'Who are you and where did you get my phone number?' He said, 'I’ve been researching you and looking for you. This one real estate guy had your number. Why don’t you let me come talk to you?'"

After a meeting, Afra and Small flew to meet with the Our/Vodka partners in the other cities.

"It’s a really rad group of people. Everybody in these respective cities are cool. They’re kind of the Dutch and Omar of Amsterdam, Detroit . . . We decided to move forward on it. From there, we’re here now."

The vodka itself will be packaged in a clear bottle with a simple label and a signature crown cap. While the spirit in the bottle is an important part of what's happening, Afra and Small are excited about the distillery's potential as event space for non-profit organizations. 

With 3,000 square feet of space available to 501c3 organizations at select times "for gatherings of any kind" and 1,500 square-feet of space "attached to the distillery for galas or other events geared towards raising funds for non-profits," the distillery will likely become a major fundraising destination. A 600 square-foot patio will also be available either separately or in conjunction with the other spaces.

"The most sexy part about this was the way this program fits into the community," Afra says. "It’s got a lovely geography where it both works with and helps the local community of non-profits and entrepreneurs. It (also) ties Houston into this global movement."

Afra adds that it's up to the individual groups to determine how groups to use the space and what kind of events they hold there. He and Small are hoping the opportunity fosters creativity. 

"We’ve worked with so many non-profits. People are constantly getting in our ears about 'hey, I need a space for this non-profit event.' There’s not a lot of great spaces for non-profits to program in at no cost. We’re glad to offer this space for that," Afra says.

In addition to fundraising events, the duo also have plans to allow organizations to hold fundraising happy hours at the distillery, and Small will plan bartender and chefs competitions similar in spirit to the Thanksgiving Leftover Throwdown he organized in 2013.

1 person likes this

More on the distillery Our/Vodka aka Our Vodka Houston at 2118 Lamar St from Houston Chronicle:

Local names plan launch of a Houston vodka micro-distillery east of downtown

An East End block lined with nondescript warehouses and commercial buildings doesn't offer much in the way of atmosphere now.

But it's here, at the corner of Hutchins and Lamar, where a brain trust of local names will build an event destination anchored by their upcoming Houston vodka micro-distillery Our/Houston.

Free Press Houston publisher Omar Afra and public relations guru Dutch Small have become staples in the local arts and music scene for launching such successful events as Free Press Summer Fest and – just this past December – Day For Night.

Afra and Small were drawn to 2118 Lamar because of their affinity for this neighborhood, as well as its proximity to 8th Wonder Brewery. Our/Houston's 4,200-square-foot structure – which will house both the distillery and and venue– is about a block north of 8th Wonder. Afra, Small and the 8th Wonder brewery owners plan on hosting street festivals along Hutchins, the street that connects both of their sites. Along with block parties, the distillery's event space will be used and leased out for charity events, public receptions and private parties. Small says the warehouse will see a renovation overhaul by product launch time, sometime around fall 2016.

"It's going to be made right here in Houston, right off of St. Emanuel. This is not one of those vodkas that comes in on an aircraft carrier that's distributed to a dozen people who put a sticker on it," Afra says. "It will use local ingredients to create the distillate."

The global connection

The duo is working in collaboration with France-based spirits powerhouse Pernod Ricard and with Åsa Caap of Sweden-based Great Works to launch the local Our/Houston micro-distillery. While these investors may have headquarters abroad – far from Houston's up-and-coming east-of-downtown neighborhood – the duo explain that Great Works' goal is to impact major, evolving metropolises.

Great Works' mission is two-fold: create a profitable product that translates to markets around the world and connect with key creative community players in these major cities.

The corporation reached out to Small and Afra – who have individually and collectively amassed an assemblage of local talent, from writers to musicians and artists – to be the Houston branch of the global project. The pair have creative-minded counterparts with Our/Houston plants in New York City, Seattle, Amsterdam, Berlin, Detroit, London, Los Angeles and Miami.

"The great thing about it is, this isn't going to be a ticketed venue," Afra says. "This is going to be a place where you can say, 'Hey I'm in this burgeoning neighborhood with a brewery down the road. I can hop in here and see a great art show by a local artist, or a great art show from Amsterdam that we brought in via our partners in Amsterdam.'"

"It gives me stronger tools to do the things I've already been doing," Small says.

Afra is quick to explain that this isn't "something to subsidize Omar and Dutch's existing projects," but he admits that the profit from this launch will help them accomplish certain other goals; he cites bringing in international artists as an example.

The product's Houston connection

The liquid itself is intended to taste markedly different from city to city, so Houston's vodka will have a unique flavor profile. Visually, the product's packaging won't match the current standard. The sleek, modern bottle is a smaller, 375-milliliter container. "It's about the size of a Red Stripe. This is something you share with friends," Afra says.

Vodka has traditionally been the bar industry's most lucrative product, selling in higher volume that most other spirits. Within the service industry, it's often denounced for its lack of flavor nuance.

"All bad vodkas taste the same, much like all bad tequilas might as well be the same garbage, but this is a really beautiful, high-quality vodka," Afra says.

It's also a spirit that offers flexibility, since it adapts to most cocktails ideas. And that, for a diverse group of artists, is the ideal blank canvas.

1 person likes this

Photos of Our/Vodka distillery in East Village pre-construction from Elizabeth Connely of Houston Chronicle:

eKWCNo5.jpg

5pQxeDZ.jpg

IMXTD0A.jpg

GJFaVQQ.jpg

3 people like this

YES today has been a second Christmas. Love the concept, and can't wait to go there!

Next HAIF meet up? Or just Naviguessor?

From Houston Chronicle:

EaDo developer opts to reuse rather than tear down

Two aging midcentury industrial buildings on the east side of downtown have been spared demolition by a local development company that plans to remake them into a mixed-use space and continue the trend of rehabilitating older structures in the transitioning neighborhood.

"Instead of wiping them out, we wanted to bring them back to life and create something unique," said Neil Martin, a partner in Ancorian.

He said developers worked for about a year to piece the land together at Hutchins, St. Emanuel and Dallas streets. They vied with townhome developers for the land.

The Ancorian project, dubbed East Village, will include 60,000 square feet just a few blocks from the Metro light rail line and BBVA Compass Stadium. Preliminary renderings show storefronts incorporating the original industrial architecture with brick and metal siding and bike racks in front. They show a grassy open area with picnic tables and trees with hanging lights filling part of the development that is now a large truck parking zone.

"We have really cool buildings and structures that we want to take advantage of," said Michael Sperandio, another Ancorian partner. "The area is so transitional. That's what drew us to the East End."

The two buildings will ultimately have space for between 10 to 15 retail and commercial tenants. The developers say that before construction begins, the space will be 65 percent leased. Already on board are a vodka distillery and an architecture firm, Three Square Design Group. The project is slated for completion as early as this summer.

The East Downtown area, known locally as EaDo, has blossomed in recent years to become a mix of original homes and buildings and built-from-scratch townhome developments. Recently, several developers in the neighborhood have announced projects to revitalize older buildings into hip projects that could give a bigger boost to the neighborhood just east of U.S. 59, said Anton Sinkewich, executive director of the East Downtown Management District.

The predominantly Hispanic neighborhood boasts a tight-knit community of older residents as well as the soccer stadium, which opened for Dynamo fans in 2012. The even newer 8th Wonder Brewery is within walking distance of the stadium and the East Village project.

Vacant lots, industrial buildings and overgrown land still cover much of the area, but Sinkewich cited other adaptive-reuse pro-jects on the books. They include plans to reuse a former coffee plant and to turn a former furniture building into lofts.

Preserving character

"We are seeing all these very visible, vacant, under-utilized buildings transforming," he said. "We welcome density, but I'm thrilled to see developers want to preserve the character everyone loves about this area."

'Unique vibe'

The East Village developers said they are looking for businesses, shops and restaurants that have a "grittiness" and "unique vibe." They hope their project will set a tone for the developing area.

"We are excited that we are in the shadow of downtown, a place that is uniquely Houston," Sperandio said.

One of the debut tenants will be a micro-distillery, Our/Houston, that will open in 4,200 square feet in the former Kitchen Depot space at 2118 Lamar. It's led by Omar Afra, publisher of Free Press Houston, and public relations official Dutch Small.

"It's going to be made right here in Houston, right off of St. Emanuel. This is not one of those vodkas that comes in on an aircraft carrier that's distributed to a dozen people who put a sticker on it," Afra said. "It will use local ingredients to create the distillate."

Afra said that by fall, the space also will be ready for use as event space for charity events, public receptions and private parties.

"The great thing about it is, this isn't going to be a ticketed venue," Afra said. "This is going to be a place where you can say: 'Hey, I'm in this burgeoning neighborhood with a brewery down the road. I can hop in here and see a great art show by a local artist or a great art show from Amsterdam that we brought in via our partners in Amsterdam.' "

The two are working with French spirits powerhouse Pernod Ricard and with Åsa Caap of Sweden-based Great Works to launch the distillery.

I like brewery tours, but distillery tours are much more fun.

1 person likes this

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. Its the kind of project I hope will continue to happen. There are many wonderful industrial buildings both brick , lathe and plaster, and metal that will lend themselves to creating the kind of vibe that is so now.

Hutchens street has quite a few new bars and businesses going in. I just hope that the townhouse developers don't come in before the creative youth and tear down this wonderful stock of buildings that have so much potential for this type of growth.

I commend these guys for having the vision and understanding which needs to continue. It reminds me of the growth in East 6th street in Austin.

Which brings up something I've often contemplated. It seems like all Texas cities major growth is to the West, or north.

Dallas, Houston,  San Antonio, Austin. Is this a product of our culture to go west young man or is it just a coincidence? 

1 person likes this

I like brewery tours, but distillery tours are much more fun.

Aren't there more distilleries in the Houston area? Our/Houston vodka isn't the only distilled in Houston. There's BJ's Hookers for one but they and other Houston vodkas didn't get this kind of fanfare. I would take a gander that it's who you know being Omar and Dutch are well known in town.

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. Its the kind of project I hope will continue to happen. There are many wonderful industrial buildings both brick , lathe and plaster, and metal that will lend themselves to creating the kind of vibe that is so now.

Hutchens street has quite a few new bars and businesses going in. I just hope that the townhouse developers don't come in before the creative youth and tear down this wonderful stock of buildings that have so much potential for this type of growth.

I commend these guys for having the vision and understanding which needs to continue. It reminds me of the growth in East 6th street in Austin.

Which brings up something I've often contemplated. It seems like all Texas cities major growth is to the West, or north.

Dallas, Houston,  San Antonio, Austin. Is this a product of our culture to go west young man or is it just a coincidence? 

It's great but I'd like to see affordable housing with less strings attached in the mix in this area. People who have lived there for years will no longer be able to afford living there. I hate that's the price to gentrification.

It's great but I'd like to see affordable housing with less strings attached in the mix in this area. People who have lived there for years will no longer be able to afford living there. I hate that's the price to gentrification.

Displacement isn't nice, but if they own the house/property won't they make a decent amount of money to then afford a nice house close by?

It is unfortunate and I'm not sure that most of these people actually own their homes or are renters.

It happened in the Heights and Montrose and now its the near North, Third ward and the east end that are 

feeling the costs of gentrification. I was suggesting that the East end has the potential to have a bohemian feel 

and could possibly grow into a very nice village.

I'm a little confused though and forgive me because I'm not completely aware of the housing situation around the area I'm talking about but I thought that most of this area was light industrial and abandoned warehouses. I thought that most of the housing was more in the area of Navigation , Canal and Harrisburg to the north and much farther east of Live oak in the Polk ,Leeland, area to the south towards 45. The area I'm speaking of primarily hugs 59 to Live Oak and I didn't  think there were many homes in this area, except for all the new town homes that have been recently built. 

The area I'm speaking of primarily hugs 59 to Live Oak and I didn't  think there were many homes in this area, except for all the new town homes that have been recently built. 

You are correct

It is unfortunate and I'm not sure that most of these people actually own their homes or are renters.

It happened in the Heights and Montrose and now its the near North, Third ward and the east end that are 

feeling the costs of gentrification. I was suggesting that the East end has the potential to have a bohemian feel 

and could possibly grow into a very nice village.

I'm a little confused though and forgive me because I'm not completely aware of the housing situation around the area I'm talking about but I thought that most of this area was light industrial and abandoned warehouses. I thought that most of the housing was more in the area of Navigation , Canal and Harrisburg to the north and much farther east of Live oak in the Polk ,Leeland, area to the south towards 45. The area I'm speaking of primarily hugs 59 to Live Oak and I didn't  think there were many homes in this area, except for all the new town homes that have been recently built. 

In the very near east end (the area eado), it was primarily warehouses, now a lot of it is townhomes. That's the area where East Village is being built. So in this specific instance, yeah, it's just growing a neighborhood in what was otherwise an industrial neighborhood.

Farther out though, the concerns above are for real. The area is changing. There's small pockets of hipster that have been here for a minute or two, there's bigger pockets of artists. small businesses are following. It's not a bad change, and hopefully it never becomes what montrose or the heights have become. I guess if it does, I can sell my house and buy another one closer to a bike path, cause I hate riding my bike in traffic. There are some signs of huge things to come. someone is building a single home on two lots, it's huge. Comically so. There have been other new constructions replacing empty lots and tear downs.

On the street I live only 1/4 of the houses are rentals, the rest are lived in by the owners. Maybe my street is the exception rather than the rule?  and if they're owners, they just need to keep up with the tax and insurance. if they're on a fixed income (retirement) the tax should stay the same as it was when they turned 65, so really we're just talking about the possibility of insurance costs going up and what they've always had to pay in upkeep. I'm unclear as to why they'd be priced out of the neighborhood. 

Edited by samagon
1 person likes this

How close is this to the proposed microunit highrise? Would be a plus for that development to have a nice mixture of mixed use space near it.

Samagon, you're right, that house on two lots is enormous!  I'm guessing he plans to stick around the East End for a while, considering the style is also very specific to seemingly one person's tastes.  

If I were to sell and move, I'd still stay in the east end as well, just relocate a little closer to the light rail.

How close is this to the proposed microunit highrise? Would be a plus for that development to have a nice mixture of mixed use space near it.

It's about 4 blocks away

so too far to walk. disappointing. 

joking!

Edited by samagon
1 person likes this