Market Square Tower: 40-Story High-Rise At 777 Preston St.

Urbannizer

Oh well, we can't get mad at them for trying something new.

Agreed. They certainly pulled all the stops, but luckily their hasty decision didn't put them in a precarious position. Some might say this design choice tittered on the edge a little and just fell flat, but I would have to disagree with such a jump to conclusions. Certainly the designers would not exhibit such a gaping pit in their logic from which a person could toss a vehicle full of malice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apartments with views command higher rents - there's almost no way it won't look the same as the other sides of the building.

What views will they have? I-10 @ I-45? Airplanes landing and taking off (on clear days), from IAH?

Edit: I'm talking about the "back" view. I know the views from the units shown in the rendering will have spectacular views of the Bank of America Plaza.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

On clear days they should have views (at least building wise) of Greenspoint and The Woodlands, plus the buildings on the North Loop between Shepherd and 290 areas. Maybe they'll get a good view of whatever is going to replace the huge abandoned car dealership on the North Fwy around Gulf Bank if they're lucky, although I'm not exactly betting on another "Marlowe" going up there...

Edited by por favor gracias

It's possible to have a solid wall but it would be rare. Single-loaded corridors significantly drive down the efficiency of the building and make per-unit costs too expensive.

There will likely be units facing the gargae. On-site employees will live there, and the rest will be used to advertise lower entry prices.

Similarly, on the east side of Skyhouse River Oaks, the units on the bottom ~6 floors will have close-up views of their parking garage and nothing else.  The units above will have views of downtown, Greenway Plaza, TMC, etc.

Edited by ArchFan

In more ways than one. I was just looking at an image of downtown from 45 north and if you look at the location of the existing garage  in the image and project 2 - 30-40 story towers on Market Square, it appears that they will block out anything to the east of the Chase building. So you might not get to see the new tower when you come up from below grade and get the panoramic view of Houston. The two new towers will really extend the downtown to the edge of north pierce elevated when coming in from the north.

I can't wait to see the new skyline once this whole phase is finished. Especially the east side!

How tall is calpine center?

Im trying to figure out if this is the ever important building that will finally stretch the skyline northward when viewed from 45 south inbound.

As it stands, the skyline seems to end at the former Chase bank building, which leaves the skyline lacking towards the north because of the severe dropoff after the 75 story building. Fingers crossed.

I know commercial floors are taller than resi, so i will be let down if this tower isnt much taller than Calpine.