M5250: Gables Multifamily At 5250 Brownway St.

• 3 weeks later...

<sigh> Yes, this reveals how our local market has devolved since the late 70s - early 80s.  Its sad when the best thing one can say is "at least its not as bad as The Mercer".

It's natural that developers + their investors will tend to build the cheapest thing that yields a reasonable profit in a timely fashion.  Exceptions to that can occur when (1) the investors have deep pockets and a strong desire to create something the city can be proud of, or (2) the local market demands higher-quality products and the cheap stuff won't sell well.

I understand why some people get annoyed with those of us who don't fawn over every project.  But ... I think if we just passively accept junk, we aren't likely to be offered anything better.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1

Right. Before they start a new project, architects and builders run straight to Internet discussion boards looking for acceptance and advice from anyone who knows how to plug in a keyboard.

I feel that if we passively accept lame opinion from just anyone on the Internet we won't be offered anything better.

Edited by Mister X

I'm not into trashing people just because they disagree with me.  But that's ok, to each his own.  This is the "internets", after all.

Actually, I agree with what Mister X said ... I don't think opinions expressed here by any one person are likely to affect developers or architects.  I have mentioned this site (and Swamplot) to people I know who are developers or who are closely related, and I didn't see any interest.  Sites like this aren't on their radar, I suppose.  OTOH, maybe there are more realtors (commercial and residential) reading here; there are certainly more of them numerically.  But while, to some extent, they can influence what sells, I don't think they  normally have a lot of direct influence on the products that are delivered to the marketplace. 

Nevertheless, I think its good for people to have a venue to express opinions on issues they care about, even if they have little reason to hope doing so will evoke immediate change.  I would like to think that if people in a community talk with each other about how they would like to see the infrastructure of their community evolve, it is better than staying silent.

Edited by ArchFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, I think he was just making fun some promotional text on their website, which apparently was written by someone unfamiliar with Houston.  Here's a longer quote:

"Experience the thrill of downtown Houston living at 5250 Apartments. This sparkling new high-rise puts you within walking distance of the best dining and shopping destinations, as well as the most scintillating nightlife the city has to offer. Plus, with the Galleria right across the street, there’s no more exciting place to live in downtown Houston."

• The title was changed to M5250: Gables Multifamily At 5250 Brownway St.
  • The topic was unlocked