Citizens National Bank At 402 Main St.

tigereye

• 1 year later...

sorry to bring up an old topic, but i thought i saw it fit to post this here rather than start a new thread.

What has happened downtown? I know its been a little while but i did not realize it has fallen off the way it did. It is literally a ghost town at night I took a drive down downtown last saturday and there wasn't a single soul walking the streets. And the once hopping Main Street area has completely gone black. Jefe Bar, IBar, Cabbos, Glo, Heat, pretty entire strip has gone black.The only thing that seemed to have something going on a little was St. German where people were sitting outside on the patio.

And what confused me, was there were still parking attendants advertising $5 parking signs. And for what? To go where? Even the Houston Pavilions looked like it was a little slow around HOB and other places.

It almost brought a tear to my eye to see how downtown's night life has almost completely dissapated within the last few years. I don't know, i kind of had some high hopes for downtown. I thought once the Pavilions, OPP/Phonecia's, and Discovery Green got built out, it would add to what used to be a thriving nightlife which included Main Street, and we'd have a little bit of a downtown action going. Instead, downtown is like a light bulb and its currently burnt out.

Anyone know ?

Depressing :(

Main St. used to have a really vibrant weekend night scene. I don't go to "clubs," but I did go all the time as a (hobbyist) photographer -- sidewalks at capacity with crowds. I've been a few times recently, and nothing like how it used to be. It did give me a bit of a sad. Probably for the best -- hopefully higher rents forced out the clubs, as they're large and unproductive spaces for most hours of the week. I'd rather see a restaurant or grocery than another bar. DT finally getting a foothold on better quality retail has surprised me over the past couple years.

Edited by woolie

sorry to bring up an old topic, but i thought i saw it fit to post this here rather than start a new thread.

What has happened downtown? I know its been a little while but i did not realize it has fallen off the way it did. It is literally a ghost town at night I took a drive down downtown last saturday and there wasn't a single soul walking the streets. And the once hopping Main Street area has completely gone black. Jefe Bar, IBar, Cabbos, Glo, Heat, pretty entire strip has gone black.The only thing that seemed to have something going on a little was St. German where people were sitting outside on the patio.

And what confused me, was there were still parking attendants advertising $5 parking signs. And for what? To go where? Even the Houston Pavilions looked like it was a little slow around HOB and other places.

It almost brought a tear to my eye to see how downtown's night life has almost completely dissapated within the last few years. I don't know, i kind of had some high hopes for downtown. I thought once the Pavilions, OPP/Phonecia's, and Discovery Green got built out, it would add to what used to be a thriving nightlife which included Main Street, and we'd have a little bit of a downtown action going. Instead, downtown is like a light bulb and its currently burnt out.

Anyone know ?

Depressing :(

For the clubs you reference, I think you would have been even more impressed in the 02-04 timeframe, downtown was PACKED on main street, you had grasshopper, mbar, barcode, hub, 410, and many others. every one of them with people waiting in lines to get in. as far as dance clubs go, it's been declining almost as fast as it flashed into existence.

As Kyle mentions, there's still a very vibrant nightlife in Downtown, just not the dance club atmosphere you're remembering, and not as packed as it was back then. Yeah it was cool to see the girls dancing in the windows at grasshopper, or the streamers all colorful on mbar, and streets blocked off from traffic so peds could use the entire length of street, but it's different, and that's not necessarily bad either. A lot of people that live in midtown and downtown do so because they were initially drawn to the area as a result of all those clubs, now they're happy with what else the area has to offer.

A lot of people that live in midtown and downtown do so because they were initially drawn to the area as a result of all those clubs, now they're happy with what else the area has to offer.

Or they don't want to/can't afford to break their lease.

Or they don't want to/can't afford to break their lease.

That's definitely possible, but most of the people I know that moved to the area did so back around the '03-'05 time frame, their leases have been renewed multiple times since, and two have bought residences in the area since.

They got exposure to the area through the clubs, but it was what the area had to offer (such as close proximity to everything, downtown turning into a giant playground at night, etc) that ultimately made their decision to move to the area.

I couldn't help that you weren't noticing the loss of Niko Niko's, Georgia's Market, or Phoenicia Deli...because those things weren't lost, they were gained. OTOH, Scott Gertner moved in, but then Scott Gertner sucks. White people (i.e. the establishment) caught up with y'all...and it was pretty obvious what your perspective is. I only asked to be absolutely sure.

Here you go, for your enjoyment:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154102/flippity-floppity-floop

What has happened downtown?

The homeless. As the crowds thin out you see them more and more and then finally that's all you see. Most people with money in their pocket looking for a good night out will soon tire of being harassed by the homeless. Downtown pushes them into Midtown, Midtown pushes back and the cycle is complete.

Downtown before rail was even better. Now all rail does is connect people from the Allen Rosen-connected Midtown Terrace to downtown where they can pester everyone for change.

One more thing: Back in 2004 it was easier to park your car for free after work. People that show up for happy hour would stay late into the evening when parking was less complicated.

So what's changed with regard to parking?

Edited by kylejack

One more thing: Back in 2004 it was easier to park your car for free after work. People that show up for happy hour would stay late into the evening when parking was less complicated.

Nothing has changed with respect to parking. It was free after 6 pm back then, and remains so today. The Saturday parking meter rule went into effect around 2000 or so, but it only effects daytime parking, not nighttime parking.

Nothing has changed with respect to parking. It was free after 6 pm back then, and remains so today. The Saturday parking meter rule went into effect around 2000 or so, but it only effects daytime parking, not nighttime parking.

Exactly right. And there is nothing remotely complicated about it.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So by April 1st a collection of new spots are opening up in NoDo. They include Goro & Gun, Captain Foxheart's, Bad News Bar, Batanga Tapas, Spirit Lounge and Clutch City Squire Bar. This inaddition to OKRA, Hearsay, La Carafe, Dean's & Warren's

Dare I say it ....is Downtown coming back alive again?!?

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

So by April 1st a collection of new spots are opening up in NoDo. They include Goro & Gun, Captain Foxheart's, Bad News Bar, Batanga Tapas, Spirit Lounge and Clutch City Squire Bar. This inaddition to OKRA, Hearsay, La Carafe, Dean's & Warren's

NoDo????? LOL! Whats next, MiTo for midtown? How about WestCHA for westchase, MuDi for the Musuem District or RiVi for Rice Village. These hipster abbreviations are so corny and pointless for Houston.

• Like 2

Clutch City Squire has opened. I like it.

The Club Glo spot has reopened as Club Pure.

Unless Firehouse Philly's is coming back, it will never be the same.

• Like 1

NoDo????? LOL! Whats next, MiTo for midtown? How about WestCHA for westchase, MuDi for the Musuem District or RiVi for Rice Village. These hipster abbreviations are so corny and pointless for Houston.

Any city CDB where you can walk from one end to the other in less than 20 minutes does not need the hipster abbreviations.

• Like 2