Lakewood Church At 3700 Southwest Fwy.

houstonsemipro

You know, I found out the other day that Lakewood doesn't own the Compaq center. They are leasing it from the city. The original plan was to put Lakewood where the new proposed downtown park is going to be. The city squashed the church's proposal to by the land and bought it.

Lakewood entered an agreement with the city for the Compaq Center.

So techincally, Lakewood could eventually move out of there.

Edited by kjb434

The City of Houston still owns the property (the former Compaq Center) and Lakewood has a long-term lease. IIRC, it's something like a thirty-year lease with an option to renew for thirty additional years.

KJB, do you have a source for your story about Lakewood trying to build where the downtown park is going to be? I'm highly skeptical. There was a connection between some of that land and the new Lakewood Church, but I think your source may have gotten the story confused.

Here's the deal... Lakewood entered into the lease with the city to take over the Compaq Center. Crescent Real Estate objected to the lease. (Crescent owns the surrounding Greenway Plaza development, including, I believe, the parking garages.) Crescent also owned the land in front of the GRB downtown (they had held that land as part of the Houston Center development). The City had been wanting to acquire some of Crescent's land downtown. So as part of a global settlement among Lakewood, Crescent, and the City of Houston, Crescent agreed to allow Lakewood into the Compaq Center, Compaq and Lakewood agreed to terms regarding usage of parking facilities, and Crescent sold some of its downtown land to the City.

Edited by Houston19514

• 1 year later...
Yikes! So Lakewood opened this Saturday and what a total traffic mess it has become. Its like having a Rockets Playoff game every weekend. 59 between Kirby and Wesleyan was totally blocked. I kinda forgot how traffic was with the Summit. Now its back. I bet all the restaurants are going to love it though.

It makes me laugh to think that we atttended (too many to mention) rock concerts when the Summit was new. I am not a fan of Lakewood for certain obvious reasons but I find it hard to see someone preaching from a stage that once had so many Heavy Metal/hard core bands playing on at one time. Boggles the mind. Black Sabbath one day then this? Hilarious! I am sure most long time Houstonians agree. Like a recent article stated just glad Mr Osteen has finally removed that wretched mullet.

The good part is hopefully the local eateries will benefit but I will steer clear from that gridlock traffic everyone mentioned.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I rather like the idea they bought it. All the Jesus in the world won't change the fact that thousands of people smoked

dope in their pulpit, peed in their sinks and had coked-up sex in their bathroom stalls. Vaya con dios, Summmit.

I represent that remark!  I think I saw Jesus at one of the concerts I attended.  To me the Summit was one of the best concert venues in town. (Even if the bathrooms were overcrowded). I hated to see the city part with it. 

:lol:

How did I know that there would be nothing but sarcasm before I opened this thread? One of the reasons that HAIF is dying is because of responses like those above. I'm sure I'll get a "lighten up" from someone, but these kind of comments are really offensive.

How did I know that there would be nothing but sarcasm before I opened this thread? One of the reasons that HAIF is dying is because of responses like those above. I'm sure I'll get a "lighten up" from someone, but these kind of comments are really offensive.

Lighten up.

I hate to disappoint you.

Edit: And for what it's worth, when I was a kid I saw some Christian concerts there too. It was Carmen and Stryper if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by AtticaFlinch

Lighten up.

I hate to disappoint you.

Edit: And for what it's worth, when I was a kid I saw some Christian concerts there too. It was Carmen and Stryper if I'm not mistaken.

How could you dissapoint? Aside from a certain other member, your the poster child of religious offense here.

Edit: Still can't see my posts when replying.

Edited by Gary

I'll reserve the right to offend and you reserve the right to be offended. We'll make a hell of a team.

Do you really think sarcasm directed toward a con-artist like Joel Osteen is an insult to religion in general? Joel Osteen and those of his ilk is what should offend you.

• Like 2

Do you really think sarcasm directed toward a con-artist like Joel Osteen is an insult to religion in general? Joel Osteen and those of his ilk is what should offend you.

I don't particularly care for Joel Olsteen overall, but I don't think he's an affront to religion as you say he is and I'm not a fan of Megachurches overall.

I don't particularly care for Joel Olsteen overall, but I don't think he's an affront to religion as you say he is and I'm not a fan of Megachurches overall.

I'm not a big fan of mega churches either, but the building looks a whole lot better than an empty parking lot would. Since most arenas that are replaced end up getting torn down, I think that this is a pretty good deal for everyone.

I'm not a big fan of mega churches either, but the building looks a whole lot better than an empty parking lot would. Since most arenas that are replaced end up getting torn down, I think that this is a pretty good deal for everyone.

Besides, there is a good chance that they will move again in about 10 yrs or so as the congregation grows.

A good deal would have been Lakewood paying market value for the property. Didn't HISD get 38Mil for a smaller parcel of land nearby? A parcel that is now generating property taxes for the city?

• Like 1