Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

I live on Washington Ave not to far from Sawyer Park but closer to HPD. This is nothing new to this area. Over the last 2 1/2yrs I get woke up at least 1 a week from some sort of disturbance. Just in February my backyard was like a shootout at the OK corral. Two men were shooting back and forth at each other with gangs of people running in the middle of the street. One had a shotgun..... We called the cops and it took 30 minutes for one to show up. I live with in walking distance from the Main police station. Whats sad is this isnt Gang member these are wealthy college students doing the shooting.

BMW get away vehicles.

Exactly.

hahaha these two post remind me of when I moved in high school from going to RE Lee in Houston to RE Lee in San Antonio......both schools had a lot of different income levels going there, but Lee in Houston had many many more at the higher end and VERY higher end

one day I was sitting in health class listening to coach and in comes a girl (she was a student) that was one of the office assistants on her off period for that particular time of day and she has a note from the office to give to the coach

one of the guys in my class leans up and tells me "she drives a Mercedes to school" implying that she is "rich".......I am personally thinking "big deal it is a car" and also thinking of the people I knew at Lee in Houston that got 944s or a 500SL for their 16th bday or the ones that had a "hardship" and had been driving to school since they were 14

at the end of school that day I am walking out to the parking lot and I see that girl and she is going to her "Mercedes" and when she gets to it it turns out it is probably a 1965 4 door......don't get me wrong it I am not trying to be a car snob, but it was probably a $5,000 dollar car at the time and the lot was filled with regular cars and trucks that cost twice as much at least......it was not trashed or anything and I am sure it was a nice safe ride for a high school girl, but there was also a place in the front grill where some motor of some sort had been replaced and probably when they found out the part was $1,500 they had cut some of the grill out and put in a different part and the motor part of it was sticking out of the grill.....I actually thought to myself that her family was smart because they had probably passed that car along from parent to kid or maybe even from grand parent to grand kid and made that Mercedes last a LONG time for them

so yea a "BMW getaway car" is in no way, shape, or form indicative of someones financial status :rolleyes::lol:

or better yet growing up my mom spent some time in high school in Odessa......she had a friend that everyone thought might be "rich" because her dad drove a Cadillac......turns out they were far from it, that was their only car (which was not uncommon at all back then), but her dad worked in the oilfield checking pumps and production gauges ect. and back them Odessa and the surrounding areas were BFE (back when people worried about radiator water ect especially in boiling hot west Texas) so all the guys in his line of work bought the most reliable cars they could and at the time that was a Cadillac

Edited by TV2EBoogaloo
  • Like 1

^ True. Some people really buy into the perception of image and quality promoted by car manufacturers, despite the reality that some brands like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi rank near or at the bottom of reliability rankings, well behind most domestic and Asian rivals whose vehicles don't carry much snob factor.

^ Ahh...badmouthing German cars...slow day on HAIF I guess.

"Some people" buy these cars for their superior performance and handling. I was back home in Ireland recently on vacation and rented a Toyota Avensis. As it lurched drunkenly* through the wee back roads of Donegal like a superannuated earth mover I kept wishing I was in my 325i. As for reliability - any conversation on that inevitably drifts into tendentiousness, but I haven't looked under the hood of mine except to refill fluids for 3 years, and it's 6 years old. Changed the tires a couple of months ago, that's about it. Formula 1 engines are rebuilt after every race, but show me one person who wouldn't want to be in one for a day.

* the car, not me.

• Like 1

So which areas of the Heights should i avoid during the evenings?

It depends on the breadth of your definition of what is "the Heights". If you go by a historian's perspective, it'd be the parts that are dry anyway (and those are uninteresting to drunkards except possibly to historian drunkards). If you go by a Realtor's perspective, it may encompass a quarter of the metropolitan area (if it serves their purpose); this is also not useful input.

It is my belief that you should endeavor to enjoy those parts of the Heights that are not the Heights. There is no Spec's Liquor in the Heights. My back yard is not in the Heights. The Heights is irrelevant.

• Like 1

So which areas of the Heights should i avoid during the evenings?

Avoid Porchman's house. Dude collects rocks to throw at people. Has a deadly aim, too. If the title had said, "Rock Throwing at Sawyer Park Sports Bar", I would have called him into Crime Stoppers.

• Like 1

"Some people" buy these cars for their superior performance and handling. I was back home in Ireland recently on vacation and rented a Toyota Avensis. As it lurched drunkenly* through the wee back roads of Donegal like a superannuated earth mover I kept wishing I was in my 325i. As for reliability - any conversation on that inevitably drifts into tendentiousness, but I haven't looked under the hood of mine except to refill fluids for 3 years, and it's 6 years old. Changed the tires a couple of months ago, that's about it. Formula 1 engines are rebuilt after every race, but show me one person who wouldn't want to be in one for a day.

* the car, not me.

"Some people" are a little touchy about their cars, I guess. I haven't had to open the hood of my 6 year old chevy minivan except to add windshield washer fluid since I bought it, either.

"Some people" are a little touchy about their cars, I guess. I haven't had to open the hood of my 6 year old chevy minivan except to add windshield washer fluid since I bought it, either.

Then you might need to change the oil.

* the car, not me.

Nah, just badmouthing folks who associate social status with corporate labels. I doubt a high school girl asks for a BMW (or an old Mercedes as was the case) for performance reasons.

What else would you associate social status with other than corporate labels? I'm just badmouthing people who associate putting labels on corporate labeling of social status.

= P

My hood doesn't "pop", it has manual latches (along with manual windows and door locks). I guess my label = poor.

Nah, just badmouthing folks who associate social status with corporate labels. I doubt a high school girl asks for a BMW (or an old Mercedes as was the case) for performance reasons.

I don't know about that, I talk to a lot of women who choose to wear 5" heels over flip flops for reasons of comfort, and it has nothing to do with showing off, or status, or anything. If I talk to one more person who tells me how comfortable skinny jeans are, I'm going to go directly to the store and buy at least 6 pair for myself.

as it relates to cars, everyone has their own definition of ultimate driving machine, and BMW may fit the bill for some, but the vast majority of people who drive a BMW are doing so because they are comfortable to sit in on 59 at 6pm going 5mph on their way home to Sugarland (whether it's because of the seats, or because the other people driving next to them see them in a BMW is a toss up though).

Personally, I find my Subaru to be the ultimate driving machine, handles great in all conditions and all speeds, accelerates more than fast enough for me, still partially economical, and I can fold down the back seat and toss my mountain bike in there without feeling bad about getting the interior dirty.

Edited by samagon

I don't know about that, I talk to a lot of women who choose to wear 5" heels over flip flops for reasons of comfort, and it has nothing to do with showing off, or status, or anything. If I talk to one more person who tells me how comfortable skinny jeans are, I'm going to go directly to the store and buy at least 6 pair for myself.

as it relates to cars, everyone has their own definition of ultimate driving machine, and BMW may fit the bill for some, but the vast majority of people who drive a BMW are doing so because they are comfortable to sit in on 59 at 6pm going 5mph on their way home to Sugarland (whether it's because of the seats, or because the other people driving next to them see them in a BMW is a toss up though).

Personally, I find my Subaru to be the ultimate driving machine, handles great in all conditions and all speeds, accelerates more than fast enough for me, still partially economical, and I can fold down the back seat and toss my mountain bike in there without feeling bad about getting the interior dirty.

Can't help but laugh at that one...my wife wanted me to dress a bit more trendy...for lack of a better word...she bought me some skinny jeans....those things were tried on and promptly returned...I don't understand how anyone could possibly be comfortable in a pair of jeans that is literally glued to your ass, thighs, and inner legs....the pitch in my voice went up three octanes in seconds...to top all that off, there is no way you could ever put skinny jeans over the top of a pair of boots...and forget about putting a wallet or keys in your pockets...skinny jeans have no place in my wardrobe.

Can't help but laugh at that one...my wife wanted me to dress a bit more trendy...for lack of a better word...she bought me some skinny jeans....those things were tried on and promptly returned...I don't understand how anyone could possibly be comfortable in a pair of jeans that is literally glued to your ass, thighs, and inner legs....the pitch in my voice went up three octanes in seconds...to top all that off, there is no way you could ever put skinny jeans over the top of a pair of boots...and forget about putting a wallet or keys in your pockets...skinny jeans have no place in my wardrobe.

Does this mean you spoke with a considerable amount of power?

• Like 2