Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

On 10/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, hindesky said:

The Aga Khan, a direct descendant of the prophet Muhammad, is the spiritual leader of the Ismaili sect of Shia Muslims.

Maybe Aga Khan is waiting for Arc Angel Gabriel to also visit him  with a message to BREAK GROUND!

1 hour ago, shasta said:

Maybe Aga Khan is waiting for Arc Angel Gabriel to also visit him  with a message to BREAK GROUND!

I mean this is a flood prone city, so maybe its Johnna and the Whale? Oh maybe this will be an arc.....

On the serious side. I think people underestimate just how long it takes for a project to break ground, how expensive it is, and also how proud a buildings owner is of what they built or want to build.

Lets think about this for a moment, if this is going to be the only Aga Khan Islamic Community Center in the United States, I'm willing to bet that nothing big or small is being left to chance. Every single detail is being looked over with a fine tooth comb. Every part of the budget is being examined to be sure each dollar is worth it. Every single material is being examined to make sure it matches the quality the Aga Khan wants this to be. Yeah this is going to take a long time.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8

This is going to be incredible. I think it's safe to say we've turned the corner in terms of development and quality of life. We're becoming much more sustainable as a city by making massive strides in technology with the Innovation District, TMC3, and the spaceport. We've become way more walkable as a whole and more bikeable. This is just all really exciting to witness. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

Thats actually really good work on the shadow. As someone who uses photoshop everyday, I can certainly appreciate it.

Thank you. I just created a duplicate layer of her. Completely darkened the underlying layer using Levels. Skewed that layer into something approximating a shadow cast in the same direction as that of fence post. Decreased the opacity. Nudged the shadow around a bit to better align with her feet. Flattened the image and resized. Easy-peasy.

The direction's a bit off and I could have blurred it a bit but I was in a hurry. Plus her feet still look like they're floating.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy

1 minute ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Thank you. I just created a duplicate layer of her. Completely darkened the underlying layer using Levels. Skewed that layer into something approximating a shadow cast in the same direction as that of fence post. Decreased the opacity. Nudged the shadow around a bit to better align with her feet. Flattened the image and resized. Easy-peasy.

I do it exactly this way. Probably one of the more efficient ways in terms of workflow.

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I'm unfamiliar with the Red Bag girl.
Is she a popular meme or stock photo?

She's everywhere! 😆

https://littleredridingbag.tumblr.com

https://www.nonarchitecture.eu/2020/01/16/girl-red-bag/

https://architizer.com/blog/practice/tools/the-art-of-rendering-7-mistakes/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

they have now brought on site the big guns.  Oscar Oduno is now on site.  They specialize in deep retaining wall systems.  This is making me start to think that they are going to have below grade parking or something else substantial below grade.  These fools are not cheap but holy hell they know what they are doing.

Oscar Orduno Inc. - Earth Retention Systems - Dallas TX

• Like 4