Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

48 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Having a grocery store within walking distance is dandy, but not necessarily something to be "enjoyed" on a daily basis as a park like environment would be.

IMO the whole of Buffalo Bayou from Downtown to Shepherd is a park, or park like environment, which is one of the major selling points for the multiple developers who are currently building apartments and mixed use in the area. (The Allen, Regent Square, Hanover Autry Park, and Alta River Oaks) 

My thoughts on nicely developed mixed use in the area are as follows:

Animated GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 11/27/2019 at 1:10 PM, wilcal said:

I'll bet the lines in the grass are for the layout of the site.

Anyone got a drone that they want to send up?

Looking at a zoomed in version of them holding the model, it looks like a BUNCH of trees. Like 50-70?

And 2 or 3 structures. Largest one along the western edge and two smaller ones along the eastern edge. 

I tried to tell y'all!

On 10/16/2020 at 2:01 PM, tangledwoods said:

first upload was hard to see, i colored over the lines so they stand out:

Google Earth.JPG

Looking very cool! I like using the full site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What does that mean? That they are taking samples or something else? 

Typically this means the client or design team have retained a geotechnical engineer to provide a report that the structural engineer is then able to use to develop their foundation design.  It is not very common for a general contractor to mobilize before that work has been done which is why I am confused on the schedule.

They could have been out there for other reasons (subsurface water testing, or supplementary testing) but it is weird and a bit out of sequence.

My worry is that they had McCarthy "mobilize" to help with fundraising or for PR purposes, not to actually start construction....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Typically this means the client or design team have retained a geotechnical engineer to provide a report that the structural engineer is then able to use to develop their foundation design.  It is not very common for a general contractor to mobilize before that work has been done which is why I am confused on the schedule.

They could have been out there for other reasons (subsurface water testing, or supplementary testing) but it is weird and a bit out of sequence.

My worry is that they had McCarthy "mobilize" to help with fundraising or for PR purposes, not to actually start construction....

They did initial soil sampling last year. This may just be to get additional data points.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Allen Parkway At Montrose
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center, First In U.S
3 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

imagine paying a general contractor 100-200k per month to sit in their office trailers while you scramble for funding.  The apartments across the street will likely finish before this one gets out of the ground.

I doubt any GC is being paid that much for the work being done right now. The cost to rent trailers is a few hundred per month, and they'll cover any labor cost plus an admin fees, which I would imagine are pretty minimal given the site activity.

In regards to fundraising, the group running this is incredibly well capitalized - Money isn't the issue.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, hindesky said:

3 trucks and the workers are hard at work applying tape to the tool boxes so they can paint the white portion.

39 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

If I had to guess, the red tops add visibility for forklifts and crane ops. Also, I see two ice machines so at least one of those containers is a break room. I would guess this gets kicked off before the end of April.

• Like 4

I doubt any GC is being paid that much for the work being done right now. The cost to rent trailers is a few hundred per month, and they'll cover any labor cost plus an admin fees, which I would imagine are pretty minimal given the site activity.

In regards to fundraising, the group running this is incredibly well capitalized - Money isn't the issue.

No GC will mobilize on a jobsite without MONTHLY fee which includes staffing.  Minimum staffing would be a Superintendent and maybe a PE.  There are 2-3 McCarthy trucks on that site every day and have been for a couple months.  Trust me, they are burning cash.  Hell they even had a truck load of timber delivered that is sitting around waiting to be used.

Painting your connex box is a prime example that McCarthy is just burning hours.  they dont need to do it (no crane is going to run into a connex on the ground).

Hopefully they will break ground soon, but it is hella weird to have staff onsite with nothing but busy work.

• Like 3

Have they in recent years painted their trailers to advertise their company? If not, maybe they're "advertising" their company because of how grand the cultural center is going to be and they want their name associated to the institution. Glass half full

5 minutes ago, HoustonBoy said:

Have they in recent years painted their trailers to advertise their company? If not, maybe they're "advertising" their company because of how grand the cultural center is going to be and they want their name associated to the institution. Glass half full

Most companies rent trailers but they obviously own these. Almost all the bigger construction companies using fence signs with their names on them.

• Like 1