Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

On 8/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, classic said:

I don't have an answer to this for the Houston project, but the Toronto touchstone (IE the Aga Khan Park wherein theIsmaili Centre Toronto and Aga Khan Museum reside) is fully accessible all the time.  Quite literally, all the time.

Quite a different attitude towards guns, immigrants, social obligations and inequality in Toronto than in Texas.  We live in a fortress society to some extent to protect us from the chaos that we sometimes mistake for liberty. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skyboxdweller said:

Quite a different attitude towards guns, immigrants, social obligations and inequality in Toronto than in Texas.  We live in a fortress society to some extent to protect us from the chaos that we sometimes mistake for liberty. 

Well, let's hope the Aga Khan people try to set a better example in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Highrise Tower
This post was recognized by Highrise Tower!

EllenOlenska was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 1000 points.

43 minutes ago, KirbyDriveKid said:

Sorry to do this, but what apartment building is that rising in the background? The one in this photo on the line between the Ismaili Center and the Hanover Autry Park. I think it is on Waugh?

Modera Waugh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, now that is one beefy set of girders...

EDIT: I was just fantasizing about the coordination meeting when architecture presented this to structure. Arch: We want this large column free space, and want this nice and open, oh and there is also a space above this. Structure: Well if you want to do that then more than likely we will need to manufacture a custom steel girder with a depth of 6'... Arch: Yeah we want one of those. Is that a problem? Structure: Not a problem, its just expensive. Arch: I've been told money is not an issue. Structure: Okay, if you say so...

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 7