Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

On 6/30/2023 at 8:36 AM, tangledwoods said:

it just dawned on me how lucky a few of those apartment renters are going to be having what will likely be the nicest gardens in all of Houston right outside your balcony doors!

It'll be used as a reason to increase rent!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They were using a high pressure water jet to cut out a misplaced or unwanted concrete wall. Super loud, sounded like a constant barrage of explosions but would occasionally stop. Made a little video to show how loud it was. It took it from the south side of W. Dallas St.

• Like 4

spacer.png

^^^ does anyone harbor any information regarding the overall budget for this entire stunning project?  (i do not recall referencing any cost details thus far) this looks like something that should be bordering on or about ($650mm+)  upon referencing the entire scope and scale of this extraordinary development, this has to be MAJOR expensive.  sooooo very happy that we have it here in H-TOWN...

Edited by monarch

54 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ does anyone harbor any information regarding the overall budget for this entire stunning project?  (i do not recall referencing any cost details thus far) this looks like something that should be bordering on or about ($650mm+)  upon referencing the entire scope and scale of this extraordinary development, this has to be MAJOR expensive.  sooooo very happy that we have it here in H-TOWN...

On 12/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, hindesky said:

$176,200,000. DLR Group is the architect of record. That is a nice chunk of money.

fCrOXM2.png

iCpbxiS.png

• Like 1

I wonder what it will be like to have one of those apartment/condos facing this development.  Will it be quiet like facing a cemetery, or will it be noisy like facing one of those temples that shoots off fireworks every week.  (I lived near one of those once. The immediate neighbors were not happy.)

If it's quiet, I'd love to have that place as my view.

• The title was changed to Montrose Blvd. At W. Dallas St.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, cityliving said:

FYI, That’s because I removed them. 

Why would you remove them just hours after posting them?  I see you removed many others too, older ones also, in many other threads.  I am thankful @hindesky doesn't remove his photos, so that this forum can remain as a historic record of the construction projects.  It's always depressing when I go to old threads and see photos are missing, but usually it's because of link rot, not because of active actions.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

Some people should not criticize you when they don’t know the whole story, that’s all I’m going to say period. 
Going out and taking photos for HAIF Houston, is hard, it takes time and effort, it’s like being a reporter covering a story going from construction site to construction site and not getting paid to do it, sometimes walking long distances in the heat, rain, windy conditions, finding a safe area to fly and land a drone from, having  transportation and health issues especially with my Muscular Dystrophy. 
Some people just want to see pretty pictures but don’t appreciate just how hard it is to take them, they don’t contribute nothing but criticism and laugh at you when you try to defend yourself. 

I’ve had a good run but maybe it’s time for someone new to take my place.

Cityliving

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, cityliving said:

Some people should not criticize you when they don’t know the whole story, that’s all I’m going to say period. 
Going out and taking photos for HAIF Houston, is hard, it takes time and effort, it’s like being a reporter covering a story going from construction site to construction site and not getting paid to do it, sometimes walking long distances in the heat, rain, windy conditions, finding a safe area to fly and land a drone from, having  transportation and health issues especially with my Muscular Dystrophy. 
Some people just want to see pretty pictures but don’t appreciate just how hard it is to take them, they don’t contribute nothing but criticism and laugh at you when you try to defend yourself. 

I’ve had a good run but maybe it’s time for someone new to take my place.

Cityliving

Your pictures are always great, and trust me, I along with most people on this forum really appreciate them! From an outside perspective, it looks like miscommunication between jokes. It can be hard to distinguish a person's tone through these messages. Really hope you reconsider because you along with other HAIFers are what make this website alive!

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The construction page for the Houston Ismaili Centre on the.ismaili looks like it gets updated monthly with pictures and update videos:

https://the.ismaili/ismaili-center-houston/ismaili-center-houston-construction-progress

Wood wall panels:

us_ismaili-19.jpg?itok=o9ejensi

Mechanical / electrical starting to come in:

us_ismaili-22.jpg?itok=jjL4t1nl

And here are some images from Houston Council Member Abbie Kamin, including the area where they are testing out cladding, flooring, and so on.  Ref:  https://twitter.com/AbbieKamin/status/1709709628173402412

F7ob052XkAAYiDR.jpeg

From a related FB post.  REF: https://www.facebook.com/theismailiusa/posts/pfbid02dDTLywEXtytiJw3en2kGMbszGReUzn3qLQVWWVZMC88iPEtar8YgJbLobJexcnHyl

387030863_635118345464001_5480725115619542760_n.jpg

And this one from Farshid Moussavi's Instagram feed gives some perspective on those massive beams we saw earlier in construction!  REF:  https://www.instagram.com/farshidmoussavi/

Untitled-fm.jpg

Edited by classic
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

"Houston’s new Ismaili Center is set to reach its tallest point in construction in the coming days, marking a milestone celebrated by dignitaries and local officials during a topping-off ceremony on Monday at the cultural landmark’s site in the Montrose neighborhood.

The building has slowly taken shape since construction began in 2022 near Buffalo Bayou Park, transforming what was once a grassy field off Montrose Boulevard into a towering skeleton of steel beams and concrete. It’s one of seven Ismaili cultural centers worldwide and the first in the United States."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/religion/article/ismali-center-houston-largest-cultural-center-18435581.php

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Houston Ismaili Center, first cultural landmark of its kind in the U.S., hits construction milestone

Houston’s new Ismaili Center is set to reach its tallest point in construction in the coming days, marking a milestone celebrated by dignitaries and local officials during a topping-off ceremony on Monday at the cultural landmark’s site in the Montrose neighborhood.

The building has slowly taken shape since construction began in 2022 near Buffalo Bayou Park, transforming what was once a grassy field off Montrose Boulevard into a towering skeleton of steel beams and concrete. It’s one of seven Ismaili cultural centers worldwide and the first in the United States. 

Greater Houston has the largest concentration of Ismaili Muslims in the U.S., according to spokesperson Farah Lalani of the Ismaili Council for the Southwestern United States, with an estimated 35,000 to 40,000 practicing this branch of Shia Islam calling the region home. 

Prince Amyn Aga Khan, the younger brother of the Ismaili leader Aga Khan, thanked Mayor Sylvester Turner for his contributions to the center at a downtown luncheon Monday marking the construction progress.

“Today’s topping out ceremony of the Ismaili Center is a fitting occasion on which to honor your significant contribution and lasting legacy,” he told Turner.

Dozens of officials and invitees, including Turner, signed the steel beam that will soon be hoisted to mark the five-story center’s highest point at 72 feet in a rite that dates back to ancient Scandinavian traditions.

Turner and the prince also ceremoniously planted a Texas red oak on the 11-acre site, of which nine acres will be dedicated to lush green spaces designed by Thomas Woltz, a landscape architect known for his work transforming Memorial Park. 

“Houston is a very special city, which is why the Aga Khan chose to build the first Ismaili Center in the United States here,” Turner said at the luncheon. “The center is going to be a jewel of the city for decades to come. I wish it were open today.”

On top of the prayer spaces and gardens, the center will also include various interfaith programs, performance arts venues and educational spaces for visitors. The goal, spokesperson Omar Samji said, is for the center to be an ode to the diverse backgrounds of all Houston residents, not just local Ismailis. 

“The purpose in creating this was to create an asset for the broader community,” he said. “(Ismaili Center Houston) will be a place to exchange ideas and increase our understanding.”

Monday’s milestone has been years in the making. The Aga Khan Foundation purchased the land near Allen Parkway and Montrose Boulevard in 2006, but excavation did not begin until 2021. Although the center had reportedly been set to open in 2024, Samji said it likely will not be ready until mid-2025.

Ismaili Center Houston aims to be an architectural and cultural marvel for the city. The center will be adorned with Turkish marble and include gardens on all four sides, terraced plantings and water features inspired by ancient Islamic architecture. 

The green spaces will include native flora and could serve as a retention pond for nearby Buffalo Bayou during floods, Samji said.

“The gardens have been designed with the view of using local habitats, plants, trees and flowers,” he said, “both from the standpoint of helping flourish local species but also managing the weather.” 

• Like 6

The most astounding aspect of this building:

The vast majority of the property, more than 9 acres, is being turned into a garden landscape with local plants and wildflowers designed to absorb high water.
Completion of the Ismaili Center is expected for 2025. It is meant to serve as both a place of worship for the thousands of Ismaili Muslims living in Houston and Texas and an ambassadorial building open to the general public.
  • Like 5