Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

27 minutes ago, Buy-U-City said:

So is there a permanent pool/fountain (wondering about the circular basin) or is it all storm water retention ?

From wherever one enters the site, visitors will be welcomed by garden spaces. The concept of a centrally-located building surrounded by gardens has been part of the architectural heritage of the Muslim world for many centuries.

“The relationship between building and nature is an important characteristic of Persian architecture, and generally in Islam,” observed Ms Moussavi. “We took that harmony between the two as one of the starting points in the project.”

The Center’s landscaped gardens will provide a sense of serenity and peace, offering a respite from its urban surroundings. They will include several live oak and peach tree-shaded areas, fountains, flowerbeds, lawns, walkways, and a large amphitheater in a sunken lawn. These will be spaces of solace, providing for the rejuvenation of the mind and the spirit.

The project’s landscape architect, Thomas Woltz, stated that the Center’s design is reminiscent of Islamic-inspired landscapes yet the horticulture is indigenous to Texas, allowing the Jamat to identify with its historic roots and traditions while relating to their local environment. He envisioned that it would be a “joyful landscape full of colour, year-round.”

“It is my sincere hope,” added Mr Woltz, “that this project brings greater understanding about the beauty and complexity of the history of the Muslim world.”

The building and its gardens will aim to build bridges through intellectual exchange by hosting concerts, recitals, plays, performances, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, conversations, book launches, and community gatherings.

“The Ismaili Center, Houston, is a beautiful and timeless gift to the Jamat and local neighborhood in Houston, and I am honoured to be part of the building project.” said Hanif Kara, a structural engineer and professor at Harvard Graduate School of Design.

“Its design reflects the values and aspirations of the Ismail community here and around the world. Responding to the needs of the time, the design team has conceived a solution that is productive, relevant, and resonates with the next generation.”

The vast majority of the property, more than 9 acres, is being turned into a garden landscape with local plants and wildflowers designed to absorb high water.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving that so much focus continues on the landscaping in parallel to the main structure, including plantings.  This is somewhat of a hallmark with Ismaili and AKDN affiliated projects, and it allows for trees and other plantings to be in top form at the time of opening.

• Like 3

Went down an Ismaili-center rabbit hole and fell in love with the center in Dushanbe. 

This link had great photos: https://simergphotos.com/2015/09/27/dushanbes-ismaili-centre-through-the-lens-of-muslim-harji/.

In particular, I thought it was interesting that Farshid Moussavi seems to have drawn on this design, placed above the front door in the Dushanbe center, and made it the centerpiece of the main hall of the Houston center.

MHarjiDushanbe_IsmailiCentre03_2203c9d 

• Like 4

If regent Square develops something like Autry Park did on the 2 remaining lots, West Dallas would start to resemble what Rainey street is to Austin.  Perhaps even better since there is so much acreage on those 2 under/undeveloped lots (including the current Allen House apartments). Even if the development isn’t as tall, the density Autry park offers is appreciated (7 buildings in total just in Autry Park)  

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

This video on Hanif Kara's Instagram account, while 36 weeks old, has some spectacular close-up views of some of the impressive superstructure on this project.  Hanif is I believe a co-founder of structural engineering firm AKT2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqnul1lK8U_/

Nice close-up of the south end via Farshid Moussavi's Instagram feed:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C05vOA4M6Ls/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, cityliving said:

T3R6Lsg.jpeg

I'm glad they are cleaning up the roof of the building.  The aerial view of the Aga Khan Garden in Edmonton Canada looks like a Persian carpet, and I'm thinking this building when all landscaping is complete, may give that type of vibe from the sky also.

• Like 2

What a great vantage of downtown.  This is going to be an incredible cultural center, I can't wait to walk through this and the outdoor area.  It begs the question of how quickly the area around here will develop after this is in full operation?  If this draws hundreds of thousands of people (including many domestic and international visitors) each year, we must assume more may come on the drawing board in the immediate vicinity, right?

The impact that Autry Park, The Allen, and SCI Redevelopment will have along Allen Parkway is discussed often, but not a lot about a world class cultural institution likely to draw thousands of people to the area.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this work is for the infrastructure of the Ismaili Center, Project Green or the beginning of the Montrose Blvd Improvements. I'm gonna guess for the Ismaili Center. This area is the Downtown TIRZ 3 jurisdiction who is paying for the Project Green infrastructure and a small portion of the Montrose Blvd improvements that are along Allen Pkwy.

UDB5Lft.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/23/2024 at 2:42 PM, hindesky said:

I'm not sure if this work is for the infrastructure of the Ismaili Center, Project Green or the beginning of the Montrose Blvd Improvements. I'm gonna guess for the Ismaili Center. This area is the Downtown TIRZ 3 jurisdiction who is paying for the Project Green infrastructure and a small portion of the Montrose Blvd improvements that are along Allen Pkwy.

UDB5Lft.jpeg

Note to self: Skip any scenic routes (e.g. checking out Ismaili Center progress) and take Waugh (as usual) to get into Montrose when I go to Houston next week. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a month old, but I thought other construction nerds in the forum might enjoy this non-paywalled article covering some specifics of the construction process with the builder. Talks a good amount about specs, materials, and design elements that I hadn't seen before. Can't wait to see this building completed!  

https://www.enr.com/articles/58146-first-ismaili-center-in-us-is-a-site-to-behold-in-texas

• Like 5

On 4/12/2024 at 6:36 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Is there not a moderator who can delete these posts?

spacer.png

Or just restore them.  After the first two times he deleted all his photos, I started backing them up so I have all saved since October, and some of the earlier ones might be on the Wayback Machine.  Here are the photos deleted from the post you quoted, and I can provide the rest if anyone is interested (423 photos, 1.07 GB):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

Or just restore them.  After the first two times he deleted all his photos, I started backing them up so I have all saved since October, and some of the earlier ones might be on the Wayback Machine.  Here are the photos deleted from the post you quoted, and I can provide the rest if anyone is interested (423 photos, 1.07 GB):

I am going to be the mean guy today. Those pictures are copyrighted, and you CANNOT store them and repost them unless you are willing to risk massive fines for infringement. Like it or not, Cityliving has absolute control of the images, they are his intellectual property, and he can stop anyone from using them without his permission. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ross said:

I am going to be the mean guy today. Those pictures are copyrighted, and you CANNOT store them and repost them unless you are willing to risk massive fines for infringement. Like it or not, Cityliving has absolute control of the images, they are his intellectual property, and he can stop anyone from using them without his permission. 

Massive fines? I wish that were the case. Copyright enforcement for photographers, especially hobbyists, is nigh on impossible. Uptown Houston Association stole a photo of mine of the Post Oak Christmas "trees," used it without attribution on their social media sites, then totally ignored me when I called them out on it. Facebook and Instagram could not have cared less, either. 

I agree that the deleted photos should not be reposted. But then, I also think the photographer in question should not flout FAA regulations when flying his or her drone in both controlled and uncontrolled airspace. But that's just me, I suppose. At least on this forum.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

Massive fines? I wish that were the case. Copyright enforcement for photographers, especially hobbyists, is nigh on impossible. Uptown Houston Association stole a photo of mine of the Post Oak Christmas "trees," used them on their social media sites, then totally ignored me when I called them out on it. Facebook and Instagram could not have cared less, either. 

I agree that the deleted photos should not be reposted. But then, I also think the photographer in question should not flout FAA regulations when flying his or her drone in both controlled and uncontrolled airspace. But that's just me, I suppose. At least on this forum.

Some forums make a bigger deal of it than others, going to the extreme of deleting photos that are not originals.  In this case, regardless of copyright rules it’s really bad form to knowingly repost somebody’s photos that that person deleted.  He obviously doesn’t want them posted any longer for a reason.  Respect that.  Go take your own picture!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve1363 said:

Some forums make a bigger deal of it than others, going to the extreme of deleting photos that are not originals.  In this case, regardless of copyright rules it’s really bad form to knowingly repost somebody’s photos that that person deleted.  He obviously doesn’t want them posted any longer for a reason.  Respect that.  Go take your own picture!

Your response really should be directed to rechlin, not me.