Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

I wish people would stop putting words in my mouth. I never said the Turnberry was a good design. It's not that bad. It's not that good. It will slip into the background and allow Williams to continue to dominate. At best, it will add density and it won't compete with Williams, which I'm happy about. Clear enough?

Whoa there boy's, I didn't mean this to get this heated, I was simply offering my opinion. Without coming across the wrong way, I suggest re-reading the previous posts before shooting me down in flames. You might find that I have at least a little credibility to my argument.

Now, I explained in my previous post that I never inserted words in your mouth, and clarified (or proved) that, or so I thought. Secondly, I (once again) never said that you were claiming Turnberry to be a great design, that wasn't even part of the discussion. I simply asked you if you were in favor of cookie cutter designs, and you jumped down my throat.

As we went further into the discussion, I was commenting on your post that refered to the design of the tower as good for the area, as it wouldn't compete for Williams' dominance. Here is your quote: "I just don't think it does a skyline any good to have too many buildings that scream out for attention in close proximity. Some buildings should be the star, others should be the support. Just like any other artistic medium, in a perfect world, some things should dominate and be the focus and some things should receed and lend support. Judging by the size and shape of it, that Aquarius building in Atlanta would be hideous right next to Williams. It's probably fine right where it is". That in my book is an artistic judgement. Wouldn't you agree? In fact, your the one that mentioned "artistic medium", not me. So apparently we are getting our lines crossed, and your getting upset about it.

Again, my opinion is that the Turnberry is very "cookie cutter" in both design and color, and I certainly don't agree that a 38 story building, almost regardless of design, would come close to competing with the 64 story Williams. I simply want Houston to get back on the cutting edge during this boom we are having, and the Turberry doesn't fulfill that desire for me.

Edit:The picture provided below, imo sheds some light on how unobtrusive a building of this size is compared to the Williams. I once again cast my vote for a more cutting edge design, unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Edited by Gary

TurnberryPM03.jpg

Great shot! Transco would still dominate. But, my God, why couldn't Turnberry have more glass and color??? The design is still very, very safe. So much for adding to Houston's architectural heritage.... Banal but expensive. I guess in ignorant circles a certain address is all that matters.

Maybe more whining and wimpering will make Houston the place it ought to be. :)

Ouch! That must have hurt - as someone decided to delete it the first time I posted it. But lighten up everybody. It's just a little jab. I mean no disrespect.

I don't have a problem with the Turnberry or Gary's opinion. And no one is getting over heated. I'm the one who's glad this building is going up, remember? What have I got to be heated up about? I'm happy, happy, happy! :)

I see where the guys who wish this building was going to make more of an impact are coming from and I respect their opinion. There is no harm in wishing that this building was less safe and and more cutting edge. But is it a crime to just be content with this building - and happy that they are not buiding some cutting edge building that just comes out looking goofy and ruining the impact of Williams? If it is then sue me. It's out of us HAIFer's hands anyway, so what's the point of crying about it. I say, just make the best of it.

Or not, I don't think anyone really cares if we like it or not.

BTW the term 'artistic medium' in the previous post refers to the art of architecture in general, specifically placement and relation. Maybe 'artistic medium' was a poor choice of words. I never meant to suggest that the Turnberry had any special artistic merrit. I was speaking in hypothetical terms of all forms of design in general. Whether it be architecture, sculpture, painting, photography or graphic design, the same basic "rules" apply regarding placement and hierarchy. And in that regard the Turnberry doesn't do any harm to the area as a whole. In other words, when people take photos of the uptown skyline it will still look pretty good after the Turnberry is built - maybe even a little better, certainly more dense. As an entity upon itself the Turnberry is o.k. that's all, I would not call it "art".

P.S. - please don't delete this, it's completely harmless opinion. Just like everyone else's.

xxxooo

Edited by Mister X

BTW the term 'artistic medium' in the previous post refers to the art of architecture in general, specifically placement and relation. Maybe 'artistic medium' was a poor choice of words. I never meant to suggest that the Turnberry had any special artistic merrit. I was speaking in hypothetical terms of all forms of design in general. Whether it be architecture, sculpture, painting, photography or graphic design, the same basic "rules" apply regarding placement and hierarchy. And in that regard the Turnberry doesn't do any harm to the area as a whole. In other words, when people take photos of the uptown skyline it will still look pretty good after the Turnberry is built - maybe even a little better, certainly more dense. As an entity upon itself the Turnberry is o.k. that's all, I would not call it "art".

P.S. - please don't delete this, it's completely harmless opinion. Just like everyone else's.

xxxooo

I understand the definition of the word, in fact I was addressing specifically that definition.

I certainly respect your opinion, and we can agree to dissagree, however i still believe this building is run of the mill and uninspiring for such a great piece of land. Let me also clarify that I don't think it's horrid, just bland.

You can't judge a book by its cover. Shouldn't we wait until after it is built to critique? That would be fair.

P.S. If you owned one of the Penthouses and had the view from there, well, you're probably not on HAIF anyhow. :lol:

That seems entirely possible.

I imagine that the architect and developer have done some research into what sort of architecture would appeal to someone who could afford to buy a unit in this building. One person's 'bland' is another's 'understated'. Perhaps something glitzy would scare off customers who don't want to live in the architectural equivalent of a 1959 Cadillac.

I imagine that the architect and developer have done some research into what sort of architecture would appeal to someone who could afford to buy a unit in this building.

I sincerely wish they would perform architectural consumer research, but it is pretty rare.

I sincerely wish they would perform architectural consumer research, but it is pretty rare.

Judging by the reception the recently-published AIA 150 list got on this board -- architectural consumer research wouldn't produce any designs that would get rave reviews around here anyhow...

• 3 weeks later...
there's a model of the building located in the Galleria in front of Dior & Houston Trunk Co... so you kinda can critique how boring it is... :)

So they have 3 models now? The one in Galveston & the Royalton @ River Oaks, and now this? neato. BTW that rendering makes the tower look like a beast! Imagine if they built two, they're huge!!

• 1 month later...
Whats new on this?

Looks like the majority of the cars that are in there has changed since the last time I looked a few weeks ago, but I could be wrong and those might be just the JW Marriott employee's vehicles.

Looks like the majority of the cars that are in there has changed since the last time I looked a few weeks ago, but I could be wrong and those might be just the JW Marriott employee's vehicles.

What cars?

Do you have any pictures of the finished sales building?

What does the JW Marriott have to do with this project on Hidalgo?

• 2 weeks later...
As to the question "what's new on this?"...

As of yesterday, the Sales Center is about 4 - 5 weeks from officially opening.

Looking at the sale center and it's location with respect to the final plans, are they going to tear it down. I don't see it in the final design anywhere.

I am guessing that it will remain, but the conceptual drawings reveal otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

That's such a great list. Thanks for making it, editor. It's so handy to have a quick reference to all the cool stuff going up in the Houston area. It eliminates the need for new people (and regulars) at the forum to have to struggle to familiarize or remember the details (such as floor count and location) of the ever growing list of projects.

Any chance that the list could be a 'sticky' at the top of the 'view new posts' or 'going up' page? I noticed that they do something like that over on dallasmetropolis.com on their 'Urban Development' page. That would really be handy at HAIF when topics cools off for a while and then become popular again. Everybody can easily stay up to date on everything.

For example: I forgot the updated floor count of the Turnberry and was all prepared to go back and re-read this thread, when I clicked the 'Houston Projects List' and there is was in a nice easy to read grid.

Thanks again for creating and updating the list.

X

Edited by Mister X

That's such a great list. Thanks for making it, editor. It's so handy to have a quick reference to all the cool stuff going up in the Houston area. It eliminates the need for new people (and regulars) at the forum to have to struggle to familiarize or remember the details (such as floor count and location) of the ever growing list of projects.

Any chance that the list could be a 'sticky' at the top of the 'view new posts' or 'going up' page? I noticed that they do something like that over on dallasmetropolis.com on their 'Urban Development' page. That would really be handy at HAIF when topics cools off for a while and then become popular again. Everybody can easily stay up to date on everything.

For example: I forgot the updated floor count of the Turnberry and was all prepared to go back and re-read this thread, when I clicked the 'Houston Projects List' and there is was in a nice easy to read grid.

Thanks again for creating and updating the list.

X

Sure, I can make a sticky post.

And don't forget -- it's a wiki, so if you spot updates here or on any other web site, you can update the list yourself!

Sure, I can make a sticky post.

And don't forget -- it's a wiki, so if you spot updates here or on any other web site, you can update the list yourself!

I tried to put in an official link but don't know html well enough. Oh well.