Turnberry Galleria Luxury High-Rise At 5048 Hidalgo St.

Looking at the sale center and it's location with respect to the final plans, are they going to tear it down. I don't see it in the final design anywhere.

I am guessing that it will remain, but the conceptual drawings reveal otherwise.

The Sales Center will indeed be torn down at some point during construction of the tower.

The Sales Center will indeed be torn down at some point during construction of the tower.

That seems highly unlike now, they should have used a sales shack, like the Empire did.

This is a dumb move to pour a foundation and build a huge stucco structure, only to be torn down in 2 years.

• 1 month later...
As per the Director of Sales for the project, the building will actually be 36 stories...4 of which are parking. I'm not sure whether the penthouse units are duplex. If so, that's where you would get the 33 stories from.

There is a preliminary website at: www.turnberrytowerhouston.com

Now are we down to 34 stories per the above article.

Quit shrinking this tower!

Bit about the new project on the Luxist which is actually sourced from the Chonicle I believe.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/08/20/turnberry-tower-houston/

turnberrytowerhouston.jpg

We've mentioned the Turnberry tower in Las Vegas before, now Houston is getting its own Turnberry complex. The 34-story Turnberry Tower, Residences at the Galleria, will have 184 units with twelve different floor plans. The condos range in size from 1,800 square feet to two huge four-bedroom condos which will be 15,000 square feet. The building will have eight elevators, concierge service, doormen, valet parking, fitness center and a swimming pool. Price start from $1 million to up to $8.5 million for the largest units. The tower is expected to be finished in December 2009 and so far there is a waiting list of 45 people.

Link at the Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5061455.html

(I just noticed the Chron bit was posted above, oh well)

Edited by gwilson

i agree, very stupid to build a lavish sales center to only for it to last a couple years. far more posh highrises were fine with movable structures with some sort of landscaping.

At a minimum of $1 million a pop, I hardly see how even a $100k sales office is "very stupid." The way I see it, anyone who is willing to pay $2 million for an apartment probably wants the red-carpet treatment every step of the way. An excessive sales office is more than paid for if it sells just one extra unit.

--but that is just my opinion.

At a minimum of $1 million a pop, I hardly see how even a $100k sales office is "very stupid." The way I see it, anyone who is willing to pay $2 million for an apartment probably wants the red-carpet treatment every step of the way. An excessive sales office is more than paid for if it sells just one extra unit.

You are so right in that thinking..... but I'll never know because I'm a middle class houstonfella. I do enjoy living in a city that has plenty. Wretched excesses .... or something like that. Fortunately, all of us HAIFers live quite comfortably without the excess. This is an exciting time for Houston, tho. Build those highrises. More..... more.....

I dunno, not to trivialize your $100K number, but that is a really nice office, I think 2 or 3 stories.

I could see it being more than that.

And again, a sale trailer would have been fine.

It worked for the Manhattan and the Empire.

Believe me they wish to make a VERY good impression. The Empire and Manhattan Projects are a totally different animal compared to the Turnberry.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt if some of my clients are going to nag me about this property.

I dunno, not to trivialize your $100K number, but that is a really nice office, I think 2 or 3 stories.

I could see it being more than that.

And again, a sale trailer would have been fine.

It worked for the Manhattan and the Empire.

100k is a completely arbitrary number, and was what I considered to be at the high end for a temporary sales office. In that regard, if you say the sales office is even 50k, then it seems less wasteful.

I don

Believe me they wish to make a VERY good impression. The Empire and Manhattan Projects are a totally different animal compared to the Turnberry.

Agreed. This is a different audience than Empire or Manhattan, nothing much like it other than what Orion tried to do, and those of you who saw the sales center there know what they did. We saw how that worked out so hopefully since Turnberry is a more stable backer this project it will not turn out the same way.

"Welcome to our trailer. Give us $8 million."

Not so much. :blink:

Agreed. This is a different audience than Empire or Manhattan, nothing much like it other than what Orion tried to do, and those of you who saw the sales center there know what they did. We saw how that worked out so hopefully since Turnberry is a more stable backer this project it will not turn out the same way.

"Welcome to our trailer. Give us $8 million."

Not so much. :blink:

A trailer it's not!

"Turnberry, the residential developer from Florida, spent $4 million on the sales center for its $360 million Turnberry Tower project just south of the Galleria." from Sarnoff's article.

I mean now I'm REALLY curious to see the showroom. It's my hope to be able to go in sometime in the near future, but I doubt that will be happening.

Turnberry has a stellar record at putting up highrises all over Florida and in Vegas.

That said, this project has me confused. The price points are MEGA high for this city. Hell, 8 million can buy you just about any single family home in the area. Additionally, I am not sure how many "downsizers" from River Oaks, The Villages, and Tanglewood are going to want to live on the "wrong" side of Westheimer. Traffic is horrendous even for people who love to drive their Bentleys!

If they can pull this off, kudos to Turnberry. If Redstone (a local company that really understands the high end Houston market) had to pull the plug on the Redstone with access to all of the Houstonian's amenities then I certainly will have doubts about whether we will see this one rise.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the units are purchased for visiting executives that fly into and out of the city on a regular basis as well as those that own multiple homes.

While this may be on the "Wrong" side of the galleria, I think it's quite doable. It's close to Williams tower and within easy walking distance to the Bechtel Tower and other office buildings in the area.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the units are purchased for visiting executives that fly into and out of the city on a regular basis as well as those that own multiple homes.

While this may be on the "Wrong" side of the galleria, I think it's quite doable. It's close to Williams tower and within easy walking distance to the Bechtel Tower and other office buildings in the area.

Kinkaid is right on this one. The site leaves much to be desired at this price point, and if pedestrian access to office buildings was all that mattered, then surely I could think of a few blocks downtown that would fit the bill. But these kinds of buyers don't care about being within walking distance unless it can save them time and be done in a luxurious climate controlled environment. The cost of their transporation isn't even on their radar. It is all about striking the right balance between convenience and luxury.

The Orion site was far and away a better one.

With Galleria 4 across the street, what do you mean by wrong. It is close enough. Is it because of the parking garage?

Galleria 4 is "hard" to get to for first, or second time shoppers in the Galleria. Hell, I just found Galleria 3 in June (Where sharper image is).

Edited by Montrose1100

With Galleria 4 across the street, what do you mean by wrong. It is close enough. Is it because of the parking garage?

I believe what was meant was it's on the wrong side of Westheimer.

Someone else can vouch for or correct me.. but I've heard from a buddy trying to sell his townhome near St. George's place, south of Westheimer... that the property values are higher if you're on the right (north) side of Westheimer.

I've heard this other places too, that as far as uptown residential goes, there's a mental prejudice in place as far as which side of Westheimer you live and that it effects property values.

Whether true or not.. i'm not sure it it applies so much to a luxury 30 something story condo.

I believe what was meant was it's on the wrong side of Westheimer.

Someone else can vouch for or correct me.. but I've heard from a buddy trying to sell his townhome near St. George's place, south of Westheimer... that the property values are higher if you're on the right (north) side of Westheimer.

I've heard this other places too, that as far as uptown residential goes, there's a mental prejudice in place as far as which side of Westheimer you live and that it effects property values.

Whether true or not.. i'm not sure it it applies so much to a luxury 30 something story condo.

My impression has been that (to compare something along San Felipe to something a few blocks south of Westheimer) the neighborhoods stretching out east-to-west to the north of Westheimer (Tanglewood, Memorial) carry some of the River Oaks DNA, while much to the south you are getting boxed in on *two* sides by 610 and US59+Westpark, making it more sterile and less able to have any cachet independent of theGalleria.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure how Turnberry's sales are at the moment, but their sales office is astounding. Even moreso is the fact it will be demolished at some point, given the fact it is a good quality showplace for their project. I spoke with an agent that worked with a few of the older condo projects (The Spires, Warwick Towers and a few others) in sales that was working exclusively for them at this point. They have one full sized model on the second floor of their office, "The Berkeley", and it is complete with the terrace, which is impressive in its own right.

The fact they have a butler who gets you refreshements in the middle of the sales presentation... eh. That's different. Maybe it was just the agent I dealt with here, but they seemed the most attentive and at ease with answering questions of the offices for new projects I'd slipped into over the past week.

Here are a couple of photos of the building model in the sales office.

TurnberryModel1.jpg

TurnberryModel2.jpg

Apologies for no photos of the unit itself, but I was taking some notes at the time. Hard to click and jot ya know...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews