Retail On Main Street

Subdude

Sweet Retreat opened where Stalone's used to be - haven't checked it out yet.

Laidback Manor closed and Matra (I think that is the spelling) opened in it's place. It's Indian food and I hear it is pretty good (not a buffet).

Brick House/Nestlees Cookies - Decent sandwiches but kind of small.

Laidback Manor closed and Matra (I think that is the spelling) opened in it's place. It's Indian food and I hear it is pretty good (not a buffet).

Is this right across from the Flying Saucer? I think I've seen it but never been there.

:blink::huh::blink:

• 9 months later...
On the northwest corner of Main and McKinney it looks like that retail space is being developed right next to the McKinney tunnel entrance. Anybody know what this is?

If you are talking about the space that used to be Krispy Kreme, I noticed that too today. Not sure what it might be, but fast food or semi-fast food would be likely.

Actually, that's a very good location for it. As much as I hate it, you'd be amazed how many times a month I get asked where the nearest store is because of their phone had/was lost in cab/run over/dunked/fell in sewer/soaked from rain/etc....

I wish I can keep those kinds of stats.

This post brought to you by my inner geek.

• 1 year later...

The space between Shay McElroy's and iBar (at the foot of the Post Rice building) has been completely ripped out, exterior walls and everything. You can see straight back to the brick wall at the back of the space. They've put up a construction fence around it.

Come to think of it, this may have been office space, possibly a lawyer if I recall correctly. The Google streetview pass just shows a plain white wall with a for lease sign.

That space has been empty for years. During the Super Bowl, they put up the plywood so that it would not look so bad.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Here are a few opportunities I have thought of if I was in the business

A full sized Starbucks style sit down McDonalds in the tunnel.

A high quality Chinese buffet.

A nice lodge/lounge style men's barbershop.

An AUTHENTIC Texas style KOLACHE shop.

A REAL Mom & Pop local donut shop to replace Shipley's.

A Laredo Taco Stand quality breakfast taco shop.

A second Whataburger.

AMAZON lockers.

Please NO MORE Subways.

A Soylent Green style BUM scooping truck.

Isn't there already a (small) sit-down McDonalrd's?  And do you not like Red's Barber Shop, or are you speaking about something like Shave in Midtown?  A Mom and Pop Doughnut shop - kind of like some of the Mom and Pop kolache shops that have gone out of business over the years?  And why would one need an amazon locker, when they could just have their order delivered to their home or work?

I would like to see a Taco bell., preferably street level so I can (hopefully) go on a Saturday

Isn't there already a (small) sit-down McDonalrd's?  And do you not like Red's Barber Shop, or are you speaking about something like Shave in Midtown?  A Mom and Pop Doughnut shop - kind of like some of the Mom and Pop kolache shops that have gone out of business over the years?  And why would one need an amazon locker, when they could just have their order delivered to their home or work?

I would like to see a Taco bell., preferably street level so I can (hopefully) go on a Saturday

Please re read my post, apply reading comprehension, then answer.

I think your taco suggestion is the most likely. Some of the others have execution issues because of the limited hours they have to sell.

A fast, fresh and homemade breakfast/lunch taco stand would probably make a killing. The one at Luchi & Joey's or w/e they are called is good but most of the time it takes too long for them to get around to getting to the cash register. 

Here are a few opportunities I have thought of if I was in the business

A full sized Starbucks style sit down McDonalds in the tunnel.

A high quality Chinese buffet.

A nice lodge/lounge style men's barbershop.

An AUTHENTIC Texas style KOLACHE shop.

A REAL Mom & Pop local donut shop to replace Shipley's.

A Laredo Taco Stand quality breakfast taco shop.

A second Whataburger.

AMAZON lockers.

Please NO MORE Subways.

A Soylent Green style BUM scooping truck.

Large seating areas are going to be more expensive and not appeal to that many customers, especially n the tunnels where a good chunk of your business is grab and go. Fast food @ street level = bum magnet = people with money repellant. The guy that ran the BK in the Houston Club building told me as much.  

Chinese food that people will pay for in America is bulk stir fry. I think quality is something of a secondary issue and would just lose money. Maybe a Pei Wei would do well because people know the name, but I don't see myself eating there every week, and that's my gut measure for what I guess would work in a DT lunch only place.

Not sure what a lounge style barber shop would do, but there are plenty of fairly conventional shops that have been around for a long time, they seem to be the best in terms of not going out of business, but I go to Supercuts, so what do I know.

4-6 are suggestions for higher quality more niche focused stuff, which means more expensive stuff. For the day in/day out traffic you need to survive, you're going to have a hard time pricing above your competitors unless you are offering something almost completely different in terms of quality. I don't think you can go from Wendy's to Beck's Prime in the donut world. If it were good enough, it could catch on, but the market for premium food seems pretty shallow downtown.

A second Whataburger seems more than reasonable. The one under 1000 Main does killer business breakfast and lunch. 

I agree that we're at Subway (Alonti, Murphy's, WhichWich, etc.) saturation, but that kind of proves the point about what the market supports. People go with cheap commodity food if they are buying it 200+ times per year.

I've seen so many shops try and fail in the tunnels and downtown, it's hard to see what might be left to exploit that has not already been attempted. I'm really hoping Phonecia holds on (no reason to think they won't), but apart from them, I can't really think of anything new and different that got any traction recently.

All I know is that every day all I hear is people complaining about not having enough dining choices dt and I see all these empty retail locations above and below. I'm obv no expert but I do see opportunities. And a nice fancy McD's would be a GOLDMINE. Keep it near the city office bldg like it is in the tunnel and it will be packed all day. There really isn't much of a bum problem in the tunnels. 

First of all, premium burger joints tend to stay pretty busy during the lunch hours. Now if they're getting by charging a higher margin, why would McDonald's benefit from charging a lower margin?

Besides, the surface McDonald's by the police station already does stay busy all day. Not like they need another location for possibly higher rent. Only certain spaces have a vent hood installed in the tunnels, and installing one where one doesn't exist is expensive, hence all the cold cut shops.

Thirdly, McDonald's sucks.

• Like 1