METRORail University Line

ricco67

I did a search for a member named Aftonowl so I could read these flame-war posts you refer to. I found nothing though. What page was this flame war on?

aftonag is correct....nmain has masqueraded as multiple identities.

Edited by musicman

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think not, nmainguy is nmainguy right or wrong if he had an alter ego anyone can figure that out.

peace my friend. :P

Edited by Marty

Did anyone else attend yesterday's meeting? One of the earlier posts said that the pro-Richmond comments outnumbered the against comments by about 10 to 1, but the Chronicle said it was about even. Anyone have a 3rd point of view?

I'm also surprised that I couldn't find any coverage by the 3 main TV stations. Maybe it was due to the Astros' news.

The Chronicle is guilty of lazy journalism. About half of the comments they posted as being "against rail" or "against certain routes" were totally taken out of context.

The only thing the anti-rail crowd did more of was clapping, which the crowd was told not to do.

I did a search for a member named Aftonowl so I could read these flame-war posts you refer to. I found nothing though. What page was this flame war on?
I believe the editor removed the "flame war posts".
The Chronicle is guilty of lazy journalism. About half of the comments they posted as being "against rail" or "against certain routes" were totally taken out of context. The only thing the anti-rail crowd did more of was clapping, which the crowd was told not to do.
Yeah that anti rail crowd is a bunch of classless rebels - always railing against authority - actually clapping even though they were told not to. Civil disobedience at its most polite. I think many may have been charter members of the SDS - Probably some Weather Underground members in the ranks too . . . Arm The Spirit - The Weather Lives!

He has also stated that he'll never post again elsewhere on the forum. ...and yet here he is. :rolleyes:

I doubt that we've seen the last of him, his alter egos, quotations out of context, ad hominems, or his flame-outs.

The ballot read Westpark corridor

False. the ballot read "Wheeler Station to Hillcroft Transit Center"

That was the exact wording which defines this particular route on the ballot.

Pont A...Wheeler Station = Richmond at Main

Point B...Hillcroft Transit Center = Westpark at Hillcroft.

Just looking at a map will tell you that Richmond was always likely to be the east part of the line and Westpark the west part of the line.

He has also stated that he'll never post again elsewhere on the forum. ...and yet here he is. :rolleyes:

I doubt that we've seen the last of him, his alter egos, quotations out of context, ad hominems, or his flame-outs.

Thanks for confirming that Niche . . . and I agree he will likely return

Funny how the Chronicle reported that Martha Wong (anti-rail) spoke but didn't mention that Sue Lovell (pro-rail) spoke. This is especially funny since Martha Wong is no longer an elected official and Sue Lovell sits on the city council.

Funny how the Chronicle mentions that Christof Spieler was asking for specific stations (Westpark/Chimnery Rock and Westpark/Fountainview) but didn't mention he heads the Citizen'sTransportation Coalition which is VERY pro rail on Richmond. You can even find a link to his organization on the RichmondRail.Org website.

Funny how the Chronicle didn't mention that the head of the Neartown Association, a representative of Bering Omega Community Services, the president of the Midtown Management District, a University of St. Thomas professor, a current student at UH and a Montrose resident, a person from the Museum District Business Alliance, a building owner on Richmond Avenue, a salon owner on Richmond Avenue, Irving Phillips from Irving Phillips Architects, and numerous others spoke out very much in favor of rail on Richmond but they did manage to mention Daphne Scarbrough. Ms. Scarbrough is the Brass Maiden owner who filed a lawsuit to stop the rail.

Funny how the Chronicle quoted Donald Wade as saying "why not go through a business district instead of a residential area?" as if he was opposed to rail in general when he in fact started his statement by saying he is for rail but wanted the Eastern portion to go down Alabama or Elgin instead of Wheeler.

Unlike AftonAg, I was in attendance. The speakers were overwhelming supportive of rail. Many stated for the record that they were pro-rail and supported rail on Richmond but then would voice some concerns (like where to place stations or to inform Metro of specific places they need to make sure emergency vehicles can turn onto side streets, or to urge Metro to save trees, etc...).

Very few people stood up and said they were against rail on Richmond. Some of the ones who did like Joan Morgenstern and John Jay Douglass (whom the Chronicle quoted) made no sense. Both claimed to be worried about things like air quality and trees and carbon dioxide but then stated that they are constantly driving on Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, Sheperd, and Dunlavy and the rail would make it much harder for them to cross Richmond Avenue. I hope both of them are members of TerraPass since they are so obviously concerned about the environment!

Funny how the Chronicle reported that Martha Wong (anti-rail) spoke but didn't mention that Sue Lovell (pro-rail) spoke. This is especially funny since Martha Wong is no longer an elected official and Sue Lovell sits on the city council.

Funny how the Chronicle mentions that Christof Spieler was asking for specific stations (Westpark/Chimnery Rock and Westpark/Fountainview) but didn't mention he heads the Citizen'sTransportation Coalition which is VERY pro rail on Richmond. You can even find a link to his organization on the RichmondRail.Org website.

Funny how the Chronicle didn't mention that the head of the Neartown Association, a representative of Bering Omega Community Services, the president of the Midtown Management District, a University of St. Thomas professor, a current student at UH and a Montrose resident, a person from the Museum District Business Alliance, a building owner on Richmond Avenue, a salon owner on Richmond Avenue, Irving Phillips from Irving Phillips Architects, and numerous others spoke out very much in favor of rail on Richmond but they did manage to mention Daphne Scarbrough. Ms. Scarbrough is the Brass Maiden owner who filed a lawsuit to stop the rail.

Funny how the Chronicle quoted Donald Wade as saying "why not go through a business district instead of a residential area?" as if he was opposed to rail in general when he in fact started his statement by saying he is for rail but wanted the Eastern portion to go down Alabama or Elgin instead of Wheeler.

The speakers were overwhelming supportive of rail. Many stated for the record that they were pro-rail and supported rail on Richmond but then would voice some concerns (like where to place stations or to inform Metro of specific places they need to make sure emergency vehicles can turn onto side streets, or to urge Metro to save trees, etc...).

Very few people stood up and said they were against rail on Richmond. Some of the ones who did like Joan Morgenstern and John Jay Douglass (whom the Chronicle quoted) made no sense. Both claimed to be worried about things like air quality and trees and carbon dioxide but then stated that they are constantly driving on Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, Sheperd, and Dunlavy and the rail would make it much harder for them to cross Richmond Avenue. I hope both of them are members of TerraPass since they are so obviously concerned about the environment!

Conservatives claim that the Chronicle is a left leaning, biased liberal rag. I have seen and heard liberals complain that the Chronicle is a conservative newspaper. Maybe we are all wrong and it is just a crappy newspaper. Sorry for straying from the topic.

• 1 month later...

Good to see Tom Bazan there giving the tinfoil hat take on things.

Also, noticed that METRO staff recommends the Richmond-Cummins-Westpark allignment, as supported by the Richmond Rail group. So, the vote is essentially, "Do we go with the route that best fits the criteria, or do we cave in to political pressure?" Given some of Daid Wolfe's responses to Fiscal Conservative John Culberson's insistence that METRO choose the MOST expensive, LEAST effective option, I have a suspicion that the pressure is somewhat less than it was early in the year.

Edited by RedScare

I don't think that idea has been totally taken off.

Miya Shay says: "I've uploaded an image of the proposed route!"

She didn't say anything about other proposed routes. It is the route. Makes me wonder who got to narrow down the choices to the one that got presented for a vote...

Edited by TheNiche

Miya Shay says: "I've uploaded an image of the proposed route!"

She didn't say anything about other proposed routes. It is the route. Makes me wonder who got to narrow down the choices to the one that got presented for a vote...

Well then, that was a dumb decision on METRO's part. A lot of ridership there at Eastwood. Isn't there suppose to be an elevated station in Greenway Plaza?

Edited by Trae