METRORail University Line

ricco67

From the Houston Tomorrow page linked above:

"...including such streets designed to be more appropriate for major transit investments - to prioritize pedestrian realm over automobile speed"

That's exactly the kind of pie-in-the-sky statement that gets residents along the proposed Univ Line so upset. The idea of retro-fitting an important auto thoroughfare like Richmond Ave to engineer in less mobility (in this case "automobile speed") than currently exists drives most Houstonians nuts.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The condition of Richmond is deplorable. And...not much investment (except for the couple of apartment complexes and and galleries) has been done, between Montrose and Kirby. Not sure who Cilberson is getting paid by along here. Not sure of this new "designation" will help the streetscape, until there is actually some real investment from Metro. Come on Metro. Pull the trigger already.

For those of you who are interested in the Richmond/University Line designation as a transit corridor street:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N5ICPCPQWTdKKQtTIuXQSzBdhvQPMU5DASz1DxF6RBk/viewform

and:

http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/6239/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14775

There is also a public meeting at City Hall today at 2:30.

:

There is also a public meeting at City Hall today at 2:30.

There are a lot of people worried about that meeting-- I got this earlier in the week

No Light Rail through Montrose Please

S.gif

What: Houston Planning Commission MTFP Public Hearing

When: 2:30 pm, Thursday, July 18, 2013

Where: City Council Chambers, Public Level, City Hall Annex, 900 Bagby Street

Please forgive us for reaching out to you about city politics but it concerns our pottery business and our family home.

Houston's Planning Commission is holding a hearing on July 18th to take community input on the 2013 proposed amendments to Houston's Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan (MTFP). Included are requests to designate the segments of Richmond Ave., Westpark, and the other streets that make up the University Corridor as "Transit Corridor Streets." 

Richmond is now designated a "Major Thoroughfare".

The new designation would help pave the way for Metro to take much of gallery and studio front property so we would no longer have ANY parking. How can we have a pottery business with NO parking?

Our family home on the same block would probably be condemned as the new road would take our front porch. 

See the link to a photo showing how close the curb would come to the studio, gallery and our house. The outer green line shows where the street is now and inner green line shows much more land Metro needs for the light rail.

We enjoy using the Main Street Rail. We are not opposed to mass transit. Our opinion is that the light rail should not go through the Montrose
We believe better bus service or even a trolley would be more appropriate and not destroy small business in this area. Light rail from the suburbs to the city would work best if it traveled along the freeway as it does in Dallas, Atlanta and other cities.
We would love to have your support at the public hearing on Thursday.

There is also an online City comment form.

Reference amendment applications #20-29 University Corridor - METRO.

Information is also circulating about Metro wanting to acquire real estate to sell and then raise funds for building the rail. Condemning property on Richmond Ave and then buying it at a low price would sure help them!

BlogHouston

Houston Business Journal

Thank you for all your support!

Judy Adams and John Foelber

I talk to the Mayor at a kick off party 2 weeks ago. I asked her was she thought about Mr. Culberson about no Federal funding for Metro next year. Even though Metro did not ask for funding. She rolled her eyes, and said the city has a plan. She did not say anything else. We need this rail line. I live in the Upper Kirby District. The traffic is getting worse. I would love to walk to the University Line and go out to eat, the museums, downtown without driving. In 2020 when we are the third largest city it would be foolish with no other way of getting around but concrete. The concrete companies sure like Mr. Culberson.

• Like 1

I talk to the Mayor at a kick off party 2 weeks ago. I asked her was she thought about Mr. Culberson about no Federal funding for Metro next year. Even though Metro did not ask for funding. She rolled her eyes, and said the city has a plan. She did not say anything else. We need this rail line. I live in the Upper Kirby District. The traffic is getting worse. I would love to walk to the University Line and go out to eat, the museums, downtown without driving. In 2020 when we are the third largest city it would be foolish with no other way of getting around but concrete. The concrete companies sure like Mr. Culberson.

What a embarrassment.  Harris county has twice the population of Dallas county.  They even have Commuter Rail to Forth Worth and Denton.  How long will we wait? Dallas has 90 miles of Light Rail and got all the funding they needed.  TX DOT is building our Grand parkway, I'm so excited, and spent 2 billion on the Katy Freeway.     

The Texas State Legislature authorized the creation of local transit authorities in 1973. In 1978, Houston-area voters created METRO and approved a one-cent sales tax to support its operations. METRO opened for business in January 1979, taking over the bus service run by the City of Houston known as HouTran. HouTran was plagued by outdated equipment, infrequent service, and a route structure which failed to account for Houston's rapid population growth.[4]

METRO's service area encompasses 1,285 square miles (3,330 km2) [1] and also serves portions of an eight-county region with its vanpool service; the agency employs about 3,800 people.

This is how it started if you are not a native Houstonian.

Can't believe a pottery business is trying to stand in the way of mass transit. Part of me wonders if that whole ad wasn't a satire written by a clever rail supporter, but part of me knows better.

So you think they should just lay down and take one for the team? That they don't have a right to fight when their business and home may be threatened by overreaching government?

Correct, we should have 90 miles of Light Rail not Dallas.  Since Plano, Richardson, Irving, Carrolton, and little Rowlett pay for DART they had to build ridership there.  The main thing is Downtown Dallas has a 30% occupancy rate.  The Texas Medical Center is larger then downtown Dallas.  There is no rail line to their Galleria, and the airport extension has been delayed. That is why they have a low ridership.  It would not happen here with 4.5 million in Harris county.  

That's what happens when large amounts of money get placed in the hands of an ineffective organization. If DART was a private company, it would have gone out of business.

So would the Texas department of transportation.

Translation - DART spent a lot of taxpayer money on an ineffective system.

And what would you have used the money on, more roads?

So you think they should just lay down and take one for the team? That they don't have a right to fight when their business and home may be threatened by overreaching government?

You should spend some time in Somalia or Afghanistan and then come back and tell me how great it is when there is no government.

You should spend some time in Somalia or Afghanistan and then come back and tell me how great it is when there is no government.

Ahh, so you are in favor of destroying small business and forcing people out of their homes to further your goals. Heaven forbid that someone affected by a proposal not just get out of the way and let your version of progress move forward. Wait, I am feeling vibrations of the sort the residents of the Bronx felt when they lost their homes for a freeway that was badly routed.

Now, how about that answer to post #3712?

I found this article regarding an earlier proposal for lightrail in Houston during the time when Kathy Whitmire was mayor.  The mayor before Bob Lanier. I don't know what part this plays. I'll look further.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/18/us/rail-system-plan-backed-by-houston-voters.html

But, this vote seems like the moment that the 25% of the 1cent that was to go to transit was given over to the local governments for road improvements for 13 years.

Edited by Spacecityroller