METRORail University Line

ricco67

I work with many foreigners on a monthly basis from all over the world. Russia, Japan and Italy are the big three. I've taken groups of Russians and Italians to the Museum District to boast about our town. The Russians really enjoy the Menil everytime they come. The Russians I know have ridden the light rail because I rode with them. They were not at all impressed. To them, our line was a joke because I couldn't give them an EXACT time of when the train was arriving!

Yeah, "Every 6 minutes" is such a difficult concept to grasp...

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Russians I know have ridden the light rail because I rode with them. They were not at all impressed. To them, our line was a joke because I couldn't give them an EXACT time of when the train was arriving!

Gee, residents of the city with the world's LARGEST subway system, built by a Communist government intent on building the most beautiful stations in the world are unimpressed with our starter line.

Who'd a thunk it?

Since when do letters to a congressman decide whether rail is going to be built? As far as I knew, the decision was made by a 2004 referendum covering the Metro service area, in which a majority of voters agreed that this line would get built, and that Metro would determine the final route.

If you folks had such a problem, you should have spoken up about it then. Stop putting the interests of your pretentious little enclave in front of the rest of the city.

Ha-ha! It's so simple and obvious. Still, thanks to H-Town Man for reiterrating this. When you really think about it all, it's hilarious. Sad, sure, but still hilarious.

This is an epic lesson in private, single-minded, self-serving interest being championed by a similarly single-minded politician, who is no way shape or form living up to his responsibilities.

From my experience, we are not even in the same class as Russia, Italy nor Japan when it comes to mass transit. Much of it has to do with population density and we just don't have a large density comparatively to make is as effective.

What a shocker.

Shocker_example.jpg

The problem with Houston is you have to start somewhere. The Redline was the first. Now, we need to cross the T. Eventually, you add commuter rail, other light rail lines, and more. Voila. You now have yourself a decent transit system.

When did Houston get filled with so many NIMBYs and Naysayers? God help us if we had to build the Ship Chanel or IAH or anything else other than a HIGHWAY in today's climate!

Todays rally makes me sick to my stomach. I wish people could start using facts to form a logical opinion. Today I heard one person against rail because it would lower his property value, and then 10 minutes later another person stating he is against rail because the rail would raise property value to high, so that mom and pop stores could not afford the taxes. Someone else stated that the Main Street line serves just a few people a day, mostly bums trying to escape the elements. I ride the line daily a see tens of thousands of other people on it. Theis perople are students, doctors and every one between.

Seriously what could I do to make sure the ground breaking is in '08. This will determines our cities fate for decades........

METRO is trying to be diplomatic by not exposing Culberson's 180 degree reversal from June 2005, but that doesn't mean WE have to keep quiet about it.

By why would METRO want to be diplomatic by not exposing him if he didn't have the power to derail their plans? What would METRO have to gain by doing that to someone that clearly does not have their best interest in mind?

I suppose I'm being pessimistic here. Although Federal funding isn't soley in Culberson's hands, I still fear he has enough "back scratching" ability to influence his buddies on the committee from other states to block funding to Houston as a favor to him. I just have trust issues with politicians of his type.

Edited by VelvetJ

I suppose I'm being pessimistic here. Although Federal funding isn't soley in Culberson's hands, I still fear he has enough "back scratching" ability to influence his buddies on the committee from other states to block funding to Houston as a favor to him. I just have trust issues with politicians of his type.

That's exactly right. Just as Tom DeLay was able to withhold federal funds from METRO, Culberson will probably find a way to do the same.

Of course, if the Democrats regain control of the House this November, then it becomes a lot harder for him to do so. But I'm not betting on that happening.

I still can't help but wonder why Culberson is so worried about the businesses and residences along Richmond, but that he wasn't sticking up for all the hundreds of homes and businesses that were demolished so that the Katy Freeway could be expanded.

I work with many foreigners on a monthly basis from all over the world. Russia, Japan and Italy are the big three. I've taken groups of Russians and Italians to the Museum District to boast about our town. The Russians really enjoy the Menil everytime they come. The Russians I know have ridden the light rail because I rode with them. They were not at all impressed. To them, our line was a joke because I couldn't give them an EXACT time of when the train was arriving! The stations were the most embarassing aspect. If you've ever been to Moscow, their system is VERY efficient and always on schedule. I've only been once but really did take advantage of it because the system works.

I found this link. Moscow rail stations Just click on the M's for pics of the stations.

From my experience, we are not even in the same class as Russia, Italy nor Japan when it comes to mass transit. Much of it has to do with population density and we just don't have a large density comparatively to make is as effective.

Many here are making the Afton Oaks people out to the the worst offenders in the mess. While they are vocal, businessmen like Tony Vallone are against it as well. So you can't just crucify AO.

If you were really informed, you wouldnt make such stupid statements like the ones stated above......I have been to Moscow, was there on a 9 month student exchange program. I am familiar with the train system there first hand and im telling you, your statement is full of crap!!!!

As for the building of the train stations there, you need to look up the definition of communism and its method of operation.

I dont even want us to be in the same class of Russia. Use communist comparisons with other peoples statements, not mine. Im about as ANTI-COMMUNIST as they come.

Your post on this issue are becoming more and more of a joke.

Velvet is right. METRO's interests are best served by maintaining diplomacy, as nauseating as that might sound to the rest of us. It is the voting public, however, that has every opportunity to be anything but diplomatic, and it's my continued belief that tactics such as these (Culberson/Wong) are so blatant and onerous that they need to be treated as such.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

If you were really informed, you wouldnt make such stupid statements like the ones stated above......I have been to Moscow, was there on a 9 month student exchange program. I am familiar with the train system there first hand and im telling you, your statement is full of crap!!!!

As for the building of the train stations there, you need to look up the definition of communism and its method of operation.

I dont even want us to be in the same class of Russia. Use communist comparisons with other peoples statements, not mine. Im about as ANTI-COMMUNIST as they come.

Your post on this issue are becoming more and more of a joke.

Houston I don't agree with you often but this time I do. I too have been to Russia and fell like you do about their mass transit. It just isn't that great.

Red is just polite with his insults.

I think it's a mutal Aggy love thing so he's going soft on Afton ;-)

Yeah just like you coog he's a real PUSSYCAT at heart!

I have recently been informed that soon to be former Dallas Mayor Laura Miller has volunteered to contribute her skills to finding a compromise solution. In essense, I have heard that a Culberson Ammendment will be filed to the 2006 Omnibus Transportation Bill that would allow for the construction of the Richmond line (through Afton Oaks), but that its ridership would be limited to residents of the four adjoining states to Texas as well as Alabama, Kansas, and Missouri.

Edited by tcole

Since when do letters to a congressman decide whether rail is going to be built? As far as I knew, the decision was made by a 2004 referendum covering the Metro service area, in which a majority of voters agreed that this line would get built, and that Metro would determine the final route.

If you folks had such a problem, you should have spoken up about it then. Stop putting the interests of your pretentious little enclave in front of the rest of the city.

Once again the re-curring theme with the Pro-Richmond Railers is to add an insult to those that disagree with them.

You are correct letters to a congressman don't decide whether rail will be built. But apparently they are pretty effective in determing what his constituency feels about this rail on this street. We did, and we have been quite consistent in our opposition to it dating back to the 80's. The 2004 Referendum stated the WESTPARK CORRIDOR. I am still waiting patiently for some one to provide the boundaries of the Westpark Corridor. Can't any of you Pro rail folks enlighten me. Is it from the Sabine River to San Antonio or something slightly narrower. Beaumont to Columbus maybe, or is it as the voters were led to believe the right of way along Westpark?

I have recently been informed that soon to be former Dallas Mayor Laura Miller has volunteered to contribute her skills to finding a compromise solution. In essense, I have heard that a Culberson Ammendment will be filed to the 2006 Omnibus Transportation Bill that would allow for the construction of the Richmond line (through Afton Oaks), but that its ridership would be limited to residents of the four adjoining states to Texas as well as Alabama, Kansas, and Missouri.

Now that's funny! Thanks Tcole - I like your style!

VelvetJ Posted Today, 03:14 PM

By why would METRO want to be diplomatic by not exposing him if he didn't have the power to derail their plans?

METRO needs to take the high-road on this because they have an entire system serving millions of people-not just the .27% of Culberson's constituents AftonAg is lying about.

However, I've had to deal with gay-bashers and bully punks like Culberson and AftonAg all my life so I'm up for a good slap-down. Diplomacy rarely works on thugs and liars. They have to be exposed for what they are and exposed often.

Rep. Culberson alone can't kill this line, he can only attempt to restrict federal funding. As long as Sen. Hutchison's office is kept aware of the situation, it is almost certain that nothing of the sort will make it out of the Senate. She always been pro-transit, at least for wise proposals. Plus there is also the possibility of the Democrats taking control of the House in January. And of course Metro has once before built a rail line without fed funding. Would be difficult, force a reprioritization and delays, but all that is certainly possible. For starters that could postpone construction of their ill-placed joke of a "Grand Central Intermodal Bus Stop With a Pseudo-Iconic Plaza."

If anything, Culberson just made it more likely that the Afton Oaks alignment will be chosen. It has been obvious for awhile that the only viable and sensible options required using at least part of Richmond. By avoiding total rejection, he and AO were in a position to at least bargain and win concessions. But with Culberson now declaring against any Richmond use, why would Metro need to appease and work with him anymore?

This pretty much seals the deal. In one week Metro will chose either Richmond to the UP or Richmond all the way to Rice, and the deciding factors now will be in regards to overall cost and alignment/terminal issues west of 610. Metro is now free to go with the best new rider/cost option. Since Richmond to Rice via AO is probably the most simple and cheapest option, I'd wager that this will now be chosen.

With today's announcement the anti-Richmond group may think that they've just crossed the Rubicon, but it actually appears that they've fired on Ft. Sumter.

Here is a clue for you DP - Federal Funds - I don't think Metro will go this alone. If they do then everyone's taxes will go up I suppose. Fired on Ft. Sumpter? Nice one! So we will all wait and see exactly what happens. I predict that this will be the all time biggest thread on HAIF. I would also like to thank all of the posters on this forum for their passion on this issue, I just wish we could stop the insults.

METRO needs to take the high-road on this because they have an entire system serving millions of people-not just the .27% of Culberson's constituents AftonAg is lying about.

However, I've had to deal with gay-bashers and bully punks like Culberson and AftonAg all my life so I'm up for a good slap-down. Diplomacy rarely works on thugs and liars. They have to be exposed for what they are and exposed often.

Nmain - I love the fact that you have to insult me personally at every opportunity it makes your arguments questionable at best and tells everyone a lot about the real you. I am not a gay basher, nor a bully punk. As for the .27% of Culberson's constituency keep in mind that I posted earlier that I wasn't sure where CULBERSON came up with 90% figure, is it 90% of his constituency, or 90% of the constituency that he has received letters from? I don't know and I don't really have any way of finding out. I am not sure exactly what you mean by a slap down perhaps you could elaborate?

Edited by AftonAg

You are correct letters to a congressman don't decide whether rail will be built. But apparently they are pretty effective in determing what his constituency feels about this rail on this street. We did, and we have been quite consistent in our opposition to it dating back to the 80's. The 2004 Referendum stated the WESTPARK CORRIDOR. I am still waiting patiently for some one to provide the boundaries of the Westpark Corridor. Can't any of you Pro rail folks enlighten me. Is it from the Sabine River to San Antonio or something slightly narrower. Beaumont to Columbus maybe, or is it as the voters were led to believe the right of way along Westpark?

Well, if you looked at any of the maps that were done at the time, and printed in the newspaper as well as on the web, you would have seen a big colored line for the WESTPARK CORRIDOR that went down Richmond from the Wheeler station, then crossed over 59 in the vicinity of Greenspoint and proceeded out along Westpark to the Hillcroft Transit Center.

Now if you folks were too busy sipping lemonade under your shady oak trees that you couldn't look at the paper, it's not my problem.

Here is a clue for you DP - Federal Funds - I don't think Metro will go this alone. If they do then everyone's taxes will go up I suppose.

Wasn't the RedLine done without federal funding ?

I would also like to thank all of the posters on this forum for their passion on this issue, I just wish we could stop the insults.

You've been dishing out the insults just as much as you've been taking them up the arse. So don't pretend to be taking the higher road here.

The 2004 Referendum stated the WESTPARK CORRIDOR. I am still waiting patiently for some one to provide the boundaries of the Westpark Corridor. Can't any of you Pro rail folks enlighten me. Is it from the Sabine River to San Antonio or something slightly narrower. Beaumont to Columbus maybe, or is it as the voters were led to believe the right of way along Westpark?

This is where METRO screwed up, IMO. Instead of using their internal names for the corridors on the ballot, they should have just standardized all the names by geography. North Hardy should have just been North. Harrisburg should have been East. Westpark should have been West. They were able to do it with the Southeast corridor; after all.

Had they done that, we wouldn't be having this Clintonesque "does 'Westpark' really mean 'Westpark'" argument now.

As for Park and Ride, a great deal of its success is the simple fact that it is cheaper than driving. People using the Park&Ride are probably not using it in order to make the streets and highways less congested. Its done for economic reasons.

Riding the bus is also cheaper than driving but you don't see many businesspersons riding the 86 or 88 from the suburbs. Instead, they take the Park and Ride bus system which is one step up from METRO's normal bus service attracting those that normally wouldn't ride the bus. The buses are better and the travel times are faster. It isn't solely a matter of economics. During peak traffic times, it is a TIME SAVER.

Because of its success the Federal Highway Admin sponsored a report on the evolution of our HOV system for use by other metropolitan areas. According to that report by the Texas Transportation Institute, as of 2003, the lanes carried some 121,079 passengers in buses, vanpools, and carpools on a daily basis. So in a yr, that is approximately 31.5 million passengers!

Here are a couple of paragraphs from the report regarding times.

Bus Operating Speeds and Schedule Times. The HOV lanes and direct access ramps have significantly increased METRO bus operating speeds. The peak hour bus operating speeds have almost doubled, from 26 mph to 54 mph, resulting in significant reductions in bus schedule times. Examples of reductions in the morning peak hour schedule time for buses from park-and-ride lots to downtown Houston include from 45 to 24 minutes from the Addicks park-and-ride lot on the Katy HOV lane, from 40 to 25 minutes from the Edgebrook park-and-ride lot on the Gulf HOV lane, and from 50 to 30 minutes from the Northwest Station park-and-ride lot on the Northwest HOV lane.

Travel Time Savings. The HOV lanes provide travel time savings for buses, vanpools, and carpools. Morning peak hour travel time savings range from approximately 2 to 22 minutes on the different HOV lanes. The Northwest Freeway HOV lane generally provides the largest travel time savings of about 22 minutes. The Katy HOV lane averages between 17 and 20 minutes, the North 14 minutes, and the Gulf and Southwest between 4 and 2 minutes. In addition, the HOV lanes provide more reliable trip times to carpoolers, vanpoolers, and bus riders.

As the report states, it is clearly a time saver.

What a surprise.

Forget the emails, bombard the man's office with phone calls.

713-682-8828

I just called. Kinda fun. The lady acted totally surprised that I would support light rail!

The second I saw the number I called from here. The lady just took down my name and that I was for rail on Richmond. I was biting my lip to keep from calling him a jackass

I just wish we could stop the insults.

What a crock. You began the insults when you personnaly attacked me and my neighborhood. At that time I just chalked it off as ignorance. So stop your hollier-than act.

I am not a gay basher, nor a bully punk.

I only equated you to a bully punk gay basher. I guess I should have just labeled you what you actually are: A lying bully punk.

As for the .27% of Culberson's constituency keep in mind that I posted earlier that I wasn't sure where CULBERSON came up with 90% figure, is it 90% of his constituency, or 90% of the constituency that he has received letters from?

No, you stated that lie as fact. You knew better just as he knows better but you continue to insult us all when you just keep repeating lies and then try to slither out of them.

From the moment you came on this board, you have done nothing but disregard every fact presented you.

Many of us have had our views if not nessessarily our positions changed by exchanging facts. You choose to deal in lies. You choose to weasel out of your previous lies instead of standing up and taking credit.

Now it's time to move past you and your lying buddy Culberson and get this thing built-right through your 'hood, thug.

i just called his office and asked why Culberson was against light rail on richmond...the lady said that he wasn't against light rail in particular, which is utter bs..and she said that there wer other alternatives to Richmond, i asked where, and she said that it was up to Metro because they knew what was best...so then I asked why Richmond was out..and she said because 90% of the constituents said they were against it...then i asked if this was the entire population of the district or just the neighborhoods along Richmond and she said that she didn't know. so then i told her that if light rail on Richmond was to not happen then where would the allknowing Culberson suggest, she said that maybe Westpark, so i countered with the fact that if the line were to be built along Westpark, then the ridership potential would clearly diminish and federal funding would be a problem...i tried to keep during the entire conversation but i clearly sounded pissed off

Edited by MexAmerican_Moose

Just got off the phone with a member of Rep. Culberson's staff. I was a bit surprised that he took so much time to talk with me. He assured me that the Congressman's opposition is merely to the Richmond route. Even though much of the land needed for the rail is in fact City ROW, many of the businesses along Richmond have grown quite used to using it for parking. He wasn't specific, but the impression he left was that the ROW plus the 1 to 4 feet extra would leave no room for parking for many of the strip centers. He hardly talked about Afton Oaks at all. He was more concerned with Richmond prior to there.

He stated that the Congressman is not opposed to rail through the corridor. He stated that the Congressman would continue to work with METRO to find a route that will be acceptable. He mentioned the possibility of an elevated line along 59. We did not get into what that would entail, so I can't say anything more about that. I asked the staff member to publish their meeting times, so the public could participate.

Those were the main topics of discussion. I did not take notes, so forgive me if I misquoted a bit, but that was the impression I took away, that Richmond would take away too much parking, but he is not opposed to a line running through the area generally, if the constituents are generally for it.

UOaks,

all good points.

but surely not coincidentally, Mayor White was live on C26 News yesterday morning and in response to a question about the U Line said, in that aw-shucks, low-key way he has, the line will go down Richmond and avoid the residential neighborhoods so it will cross over to Westpark at some point and cnnect to both the Uptown Line and the Hillcroft TC.

he's a pretty decent politician himself, and it's unlikely he would just say that unaware of what Culberson would say 24 hrs later.

we'll have to wait a while to see what quid pro quo Culberson wants to sell out the constituents east of GPlaza.

Well, if you looked at any of the maps that were done at the time, and printed in the newspaper as well as on the web, you would have seen a big colored line for the WESTPARK CORRIDOR that went down Richmond from the Wheeler station, then crossed over 59 in the vicinity of Greenspoint and proceeded out along Westpark to the Hillcroft Transit Center.

Now if you folks were too busy sipping lemonade under your shady oak trees that you couldn't look at the paper, it's not my problem.

Crossed over @ Greenspoint? Well ok H-Town man but I think you must mean Greenway Plaza - whacha got in that lemonade of yours?

Just got off the phone with a member of Rep. Culberson's staff. I was a bit surprised that he took so much time to talk with me. He assured me that the Congressman's opposition is merely to the Richmond route. Even though much of the land needed for the rail is in fact City ROW, many of the businesses along Richmond have grown quite used to using it for parking. He wasn't specific, but the impression he left was that the ROW plus the 1 to 4 feet extra would leave no room for parking for many of the strip centers. He hardly talked about Afton Oaks at all. He was more concerned with Richmond prior to there.

He stated that the Congressman is not opposed to rail through the corridor. He stated that the Congressman would continue to work with METRO to find a route that will be acceptable. He mentioned the possibility of an elevated line along 59. We did not get into what that would entail, so I can't say anything more about that. I asked the staff member to publish their meeting times, so the public could participate.

Those were the main topics of discussion. I did not take notes, so forgive me if I misquoted a bit, but that was the impression I took away, that Richmond would take away too much parking, but he is not opposed to a line running through the area generally, if the constituents are generally for it.

Well done Red - An elevated line on 59 - that is interesting - especially since 59 just underwent all of that new construction -

Well done Red - An elevated line on 59 - that is interesting - especially since 59 just underwent all of that new construction -

That was HIS suggestion, not mine. I agree with you. An elevated line at 59 would waste all of the money spent to make that road look tolerable. As I said previously, I did not address it, other than to suggest that not many pedestrians would walk to a freeway to ride a train.

Hopefully, they have some better ideas in mind.

His Admin confirmed this is correct.

But you can't find that quote from old Hot Dog boy anymore.

Funny.

JC_index_pjculberson.jpg

Thanks for verifying that Coog! As I said earlier I was not sure what the 90% meant I got it 2nd hand from someone that attended the . . . . whatever it was. I would have loved to have been there in person believe me -