METRORail University Line

ricco67

besides, monorail isn't necessarily a good technology for a heavy use system. The one in seattle has been having some problems as of late.

Problems? Look at the one in Las Vegas. It's had horrible issues with reliability since it opened. Seattle's was shut down because of a fire. I'm not sure if it's reopened yet or not.

Of course it makes common sense not to duplicate services. But why build a light rail system that takes 30 minutes from end to end when the bus system it replaced took 30 minutes from end to end. We need to build something that actually helps alleviate the traffic congestion situation and reduces travel times.

But the buses often took longer to travel the same route. And the fact remains that removing the bus congestion from the Main St. corridor has led to better traffic flow in many areas, especially in the Medical Center.

Having taken both MetroRail and the still existing Metro bus service between downtown and the Medical Center, I can assure you, without a doubt, that MetroRail makes the trip in less time. Don't believe me? Try taking the 8 South Main bus from the corner of Fannin and Dallas Downtown to the Texas Medical Center. Then, try taking MetroRail from the southbound Main St. Square station in front of Foley's to the Texas Medical Center. I've done this, and MetroRail was more than 10 minutes faster. Looking at Metro's route planner, such a trip is estimated at 18 minutes on MetroRail and 24 minutes on the bus. That's with no transfers on the bus too, and traveling over a parallel route to the light rail, one block from the rail line.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the argument that MetroRail greatly increased travel times because Metro eliminated some bus service into downtown. All evidence points toward it at least keeping travel time the same, if not shorter in many cases. And getting the buses out of the Main St. corridor has improved overall traffic congestion issues, as well as resulted in less noise and pollution in the area. Furthermore, keeping those buses out of downtown has probably improved reliability of some routes like the 2 and 4 in west Houston, as those routes are now shorter, and don't have nearly as many places to be delayed due to traffic and overcrowding.

But the buses often took longer to travel the same route. And the fact remains that removing the bus congestion from the Main St. corridor has led to better traffic flow in many areas, especially in the Medical Center.

Having taken both MetroRail and the still existing Metro bus service between downtown and the Medical Center, I can assure you, without a doubt, that MetroRail makes the trip in less time. Don't believe me? Try taking the 8 South Main bus from the corner of Fannin and Dallas Downtown to the Texas Medical Center. Then, try taking MetroRail from the southbound Main St. Square station in front of Foley's to the Texas Medical Center. I've done this, and MetroRail was more than 10 minutes faster. Looking at Metro's route planner, such a trip is estimated at 18 minutes on MetroRail and 24 minutes on the bus. That's with no transfers on the bus too, and traveling over a parallel route to the light rail, one block from the rail line.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the argument that MetroRail greatly increased travel times because Metro eliminated some bus service into downtown. All evidence points toward it at least keeping travel time the same, if not shorter in many cases. And getting the buses out of the Main St. corridor has improved overall traffic congestion issues, as well as resulted in less noise and pollution in the area. Furthermore, keeping those buses out of downtown has probably improved reliability of some routes like the 2 and 4 in west Houston, as those routes are now shorter, and don't have nearly as many places to be delayed due to traffic and overcrowding.

I've still got to disagree. Those 10 minutes that were saved by the fixed guideway are typically negated entirely by the wait to transfer at the TMC Transit Center onto the bus route that will take you to a residential area. Many of the old routes were continuous through the TMC and onward to downtown or to residential areas.

I'd also dispute that the train is less noisy. That horn is loud and annoying.

I'd especially dispute that the train has led to better traffic flow on Main Street (or Fannin in the TMC). I can't count the number of times that I've gotten stuck behind someone on Fannin who needed to turn left across the tracks, but was too timid to get on the tracks and just used the center lane as a turn lane. Also, those railroad crossing arms at Fannin, Braeswood and, on San Jacinto are annoying as hell.

Lets compare apples to apples.

A bus horn is loud too.. and annoying.

But when you have a bus not honking, and the light rail, not honking.... the LRT is less noisy than a bus.

Lets compare apples to apples.

A bus horn is loud too.. and annoying.

But when you have a bus not honking, and the light rail, not honking.... the LRT is less noisy than a bus.

That's not apples to apples.

Busses honk far less regularly than does the LRT. In fact, the LRT is almost always honking when its moving.

Busses honk far less regularly than does the LRT. In fact, the LRT is almost always honking when its moving.

I'm sorry, but that statement just isn't true.

And while you may find the arms annoying, I also find traffic lights annoying on various streets, so let's get over life's little issues.

I'm sorry, but that statement just isn't true.

And while you may find the arms annoying, I also find traffic lights annoying on various streets, so let's get over life's little issues.

How isn't it true? I was shopping at Sam's last week and distinctly heard the sound of the train's horn while within a windowless concrete box. I live 0.5 miles from the LRT, but on a quiet night, I can hear the horn from my back patio. The train runs quiet alright...but in practice, its obnoxious.

I'm not making this stuff up.

Btw, if you find lights annoying on certain streets or they're poorly timed, do yourself and everyone around you a favor and contact the City. They are pretty responsive.

Edited by TheNiche

Yeah.. i disagree.

The LRTs aren't constantly honking as they merrily travel down the street.. honestly, Ive never heard them honk... eventhough i know that doesnt mean they dont in fact honk.

They certainly don't honk as they approach each station.

I've been waiting when sometimes they honk on approach, sometimes they don't.

And while they might honk more than a bus.. since you say so.. busses honk too. They arent immune to it.

I think whatever might move in front of a LRT that would cause it to honk would cause a bus to honk also.

Regardless... if you take honking out of the equation... the running of LRT is signifcantly quieter than the running of a bus.

Edited by Highway6

I think light rail vehicles only honk (I think it's more of a whistle) at gated crossings. That Sam's Club (I'm guessing the one south of 610 on Fannin), for example, is near where the tracks transition from the west side of Fannin to the east side of Fannin; thus, it must honk or whistle. It's actually also close to where the tracks cross the EB and WB 610 frontage roads, so there are 3 gated crossings close together. Perhaps if TheNiche can identify the general location of his home, we can determine if there is a gated crossing nearby.

Actually, if they can have quiet zones with freight trains, I wonder if they can also have quiet zones with light rail trains.

I think light rail vehicles only honk (I think it's more of a whistle) at gated crossings. That Sam's Club (I'm guessing the one south of 610 on Fannin), for example, is near where the tracks transition from the west side of Fannin to the east side of Fannin; thus, it must honk or whistle. It's actually also close to where the tracks cross the EB and WB 610 frontage roads, so there are 3 gated crossings close together. Perhaps if TheNiche can identify the general location of his home, we can determine if there is a gated crossing nearby.

Actually, if they can have quiet zones with freight trains, I wonder if they can also have quiet zones with light rail trains.

They honk at more than gated crossings......i was at Big Top the other evening and the trains honked there and I know they honk frequently in downtown.

I received a copy of a press release that states that Culberson will announce his decision on Richmond Rail tomorrow, August 1st at 10am at James Coney Island at the corner of Richmond and Shepherd. Given the location, it's likely that he will announce that he is against any rail on Richmond.

The press release was sent to Afton Oaks residents. The "Mobility Coalition" is sponsoring the event. This is one of the 'no rail on Richmond' groups.

They honk anytime they have a question whether the vehicle or pedestrian knows the train is coming. That being said, I office closer to the train than the homes on Richmond, and I rarely hear them. The horn is much quieter than a freight train. The automobile traffic on Richmond is louder than the train...especially the ones with the bass thumping. <_<

What has Culberson ever done that's positive for the Inner Loop? It's a shame he has to be so involved. I know I wasn't allowed to vote for (or against him) because I was out of his district, now he seems to really be affecting my life. It just doesn't seem fair...

I received a copy of a press release that states that Culberson will announce his decision on Richmond Rail tomorrow, August 1st at 10am at James Coney Island at the corner of Richmond and Shepherd. Given the location, it's likely that he will announce that he is against any rail on Richmond.

The press release was sent to Afton Oaks residents. The "Mobility Coalition" is sponsoring the event. This is one of the 'no rail on Richmond' groups.

It will be interesting if Culberson has an alternate or if he says "Westpark" means Westpark Rd. because the ballot used the name "Westpark". But wait! Westpark "Rd." doesn't go to Wheeler station:

Ballot lanquage

4. WESTPARK

Wheeler Station to Hillcroft Transit Center

Will anyone be allowed to ask the question or is this just another invite-only staged event?

See you in court, perhaps?

BTW, as far as the recorded train whistle goes, it's a part of urban life. If it's that annoying, move to Clute.

Otherwise, lets not turn yet another mole hill into a mountain.

Edited by nmainguy

I hope that isn't the case, the location also gives a clue that THAT location is where it will come UP from westpark, this is a major loss to Greenway plaza as well.

I swear, why do a couple of hundred residences have business forcing several hundred thousand commuters as to how to spend my tax money? It's absolutely insane!

The nearest gated crossing is at the South Loop and Fannin, but Red is right. They honk/whistle any time there is even the slightest chance of a pedestrian wandering into the path of the train.

I've still got to disagree. Those 10 minutes that were saved by the fixed guideway are typically negated entirely by the wait to transfer at the TMC Transit Center onto the bus route that will take you to a residential area. Many of the old routes were continuous through the TMC and onward to downtown or to residential areas.

Niche, you hit it right on here. The old bus routes USED to be continuous to Downtown. No transfers were necessary.

There are certain areas where they are required to honk per signage. Most of the other honking involves pedestrians on the track, over/too near the white line at the stations, and just over zealous light rail drivers.

I'd especially dispute that the train has led to better traffic flow on Main Street (or Fannin in the TMC). I can't count the number of times that I've gotten stuck behind someone on Fannin who needed to turn left across the tracks, but was too timid to get on the tracks and just used the center lane as a turn lane. Also, those railroad crossing arms at Fannin, Braeswood and, on San Jacinto are annoying as hell.

Traffic patterns have definitely been altered particularly in the area between Downtown and the Museum district. Many streets were closed so as not to allow a crossing of the rail line. Thsi forces more traffic on the fewer streets that are open. This results in longer commutes for the automobile drivers. I know i sure do hate the new traffic pattern around the flower shops on Fannin/San Jacinto. It definitely slows me down as a driver. Since there are more drivers than train riders in the area, it does result in a slower commute, no question.

I'll agree with you on this single item, but man, I don't see how you haven't noticed all the honking.

I realize they honk when they approach an intersection for safety sake.. and I would think most people would want that. Perhaps something can be done about turning them down a few db.. i don't know.

I've also been honked at by a metrobus.. and its much louder than your typical car horn. But no, i don't live or work near the eisting LRT line.. so i'm not as aware of its honking as you.

I do both live and work near two separate rr tracks.. one being near our AftonOaks buddies, one as it parallels Washington.. Those trains are much much louder than what I've heard of LRT honking... and while they are annoying.. its just something one gets used to... I'm never been woken up by the freight trains... and my bad is maybe 100 yards away.

Again.. the honking solution is the same as faster from point to point solution.

If there's more separation, i.e. instead of having station on each side of a major interesection, have them both too one side, and elelvate the rail over the major intersection...... then it can go faster, and would have less need to honk.

Edited by Highway6

I hope that isn't the case, the location also gives a clue that THAT location is where it will come UP from westpark, this is a major loss to Greenway plaza as well.

I swear, why do a couple of hundred residences have business forcing several hundred thousand commuters as to how to spend my tax money? It's absolutely insane!

The strange thing is, if he wants the transition between Westpark and Richmond at Shepherd, where the James Coney Island is, a significant part of the restaurant's parking lot will have to be acquired because of the turning radius of the tracks (see the METRO Solutions website: http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/112145/ ). However, if the tracks continued westward along Richmond to any of the other transitions, they wouldn't have to cut through the lot. So basically he could be making an announcement at a location that would be affected more by transitioning to Westpark there than staying on Richmond further westward! Also, why choose James Coney Island? Why not one of those outspoken small businesses, or in the Afton Oaks neighborhood? Or at his office?

I suppose we will have to wait patiently to hear what he says tomorrow; today, we can only make guesses.

Edited by Transit Nut

The strange thing is, if he wants the transition between Westpark and Richmond at Shepherd, where the James Coney Island is, a significant part of the restaurant's parking lot will have to be acquired because of the turning radius of the tracks (see the METRO Solutions website: http://metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/112145/ ). However, if the tracks continued westward along Richmond to any of the other transitions, they wouldn't have to cut through the lot. So basically he could be making an announcement at a location that would be affected more by transitioning to Westpark there than staying on Richmond further westward! Also, why choose James Coney Island? Why not one of those outspoken small businesses, or in the Afton Oaks neighborhood? Or at his office?

The Coney Island will close cause there will be no access to restaurant. As we all know the Shepherd/Richmond intersection is notorious during rush hour. Just think how it will be if the rail turns here. Definitely more waiting

Dammit... I was completely ready to hate Culberson forever.

But I just got this off Wikipedia about Culberson...

"Additionally, Culberson is an avid Halo Online player and, as of February 2006, is a level 23 Team Slayer."

Dammit, ya gotta love a Halo-playing Congressman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

richmondrail.org is having a counter rally starting at 9 tomorrow. They'll be passing out free signs for everyone.

For those of us that realy care about this, now would be the time to show up in the morning.

Edited by Highway6

Dammit... I was completely ready to hate Culberson forever.

But I just got this off Wikipedia about Culberson...

"Additionally, Culberson is an avid Halo Online player and, as of February 2006, is a level 23 Team Slayer."

Dammit, ya gotta love a Halo-playing Congressman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

richmondrail.org is having a counter rally starting at 9 tomorrow. They'll be passing out free signs for everyone.

For those of us that realy care about this, now would be the time to show up in the morning.

yeah nothing like a man with control over billions of your $$$ spending the time to excel at play in a virtual world while short-circuiting the very real world of work necessary in what is clearly a local decision, and then saying how your billions will be spent based on...What? His "Level 23 Team Slayer" credentials?

send in the clowns...

Mr. Spieler just posted some excellent observations in his blog:

http://www.ctchouston.org/blogs/christof/

Also, in an e-mail from RichmondRail.org (since this is an immediate press release directly from them, I hope it's OK to repost it here):

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

RichmondRail.org

.....Press Release.....

Richmond rail supporters to hold counter-rally at 9:00 am Tuesday right outside Culberson press event

Culberson presumes to "announce his decision" Tuesday regarding rail on Richmond

Houston, TX Aug 1, 2006 Congressman John Culberson continues to conspire with opponents of public transit to kill rail on Richmond. He will be the "keynote speaker" at their anti-Richmond rally and press briefing at James Coney Island on Tuesday at 10:00 am.

Show up at 9:00 am and get the other side of the story!

Richmond Rail supporters will hold a counter demonstration right outside at 9:00 am Tuesday to show our disgust with the Congressman and our support for rail on Richmond.

What: Richmond rail supporters' counter-rally outside Culberson's press event

When: Tuesday August 1 from 9:00 to 10:00 am

Where: 3607 Shepherd Dr. at Richmond Avenue (77098) on the sidewalk in front of James Coney Island

It's time for John Culberson to answer some tough questions!

Why does John Culberson presume "to decide" the fate of the Universities line?!?

Why is John Culberson working with a handful of NIMBYs from just one or two neighborhoods? John Culberson took an oath to represent his entire district, and the Universities rail project will affect all Houstonians. But he's here today with a small group of anti-rail leaders from Afton Oaks. Why?

Why is John Culberson pandering to fear mongerers?

Richmond rail opponents continue to claim that rail will hurt traffic while METRO has now shown that NO traffic lanes will be lost and nearly every left turn will remain. Rail opponents have personally terrified small business owners on Richmond with false claims that METRO has now refuted, but Culberson is standing firm.

Why is John Culberson suddenly a new champion of displaced businesses?

John Culberson personally oversaw the condemnation of more than 480 properties to expand the Katy Freeway -- including Courtesy Chevrolet, Ciro's, 90% of Spring Valley's commercial tax base, and others -- all to "improve mobility." In contrast, METRO has now shown they can run rail down Richmond to bring urban transit to Greenway Plaza and the Galleria by taking only 8 properties, one of which is vacant and one an "adult" bookstore, but Culberson "won't let that happen." Why???

Why won't Culberson support urgently-needed urban transit for central Houston?

Two weeks ago, Culberson's House committee awarded $700 million to Dallas for another 45 miles of light rail, doubling the size of their system. But back in Houston, Culberson co-chaired Texans for True Mobility which fought the METRO referendum and he has failed to deliver the federal funds Houston is depending on.

Who is comming to the James Conney Island at 9am to rally for the University Line on Richmond? I am going to be going with at least one of my friends. I'm skipping out on my Political Science class to be there. Hope that there are more than a hand full of us there! :D

Edited by matth1231