An interesting thing I've noticed is that it appears the toll lanes are going to have a slight bank in the curve just north of Brays Bayou. The mainlanes stay pretty flat on the same curve. I guess design standards have changed since the 70s when the 288 mainlanes were originally engineered?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cspwal said:

Quite possible.  I wonder what the design speed of the mainlanes v the new toll lanes is

288's mainlanes have a 60 mph speed limit in that area, but they were probably designed with a 55 MPH design speed since the schematics for that section date from the mid 70s when the national 55 mph speed limit was in effect. I wouldn't be surprised if the toll lanes are designed for a 65 or even 70 mph speed limit.

• Like 1

288's mainlanes look like they're being rebuilt anyway, so "designed for 55" isn't an issue. If it was just the toll roads, the main lanes wouldn't be a mess at all, save for some nightly closures on the inner lanes, at best. The original 610/288 interchange, which is being rebuilt as well, had some ramps "stubbed out" for future connections.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IronTiger said:

288's mainlanes look like they're being rebuilt anyway, so "designed for 55" isn't an issue. If it was just the toll roads, the main lanes wouldn't be a mess at all, save for some nightly closures on the inner lanes, at best. The original 610/288 interchange, which is being rebuilt as well, had some ramps "stubbed out" for future connections.

Not necessarily. The schematics I've seen for the project don't show the mainlanes being rebuilt. The mainlanes may be a mess in some places where they have to shift the traffic to make room for construction of the toll lanes. Once they're done with the project, most of those mainlanes will be restriped to their original condition or possibly given an asphalt overlay. 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, IronTiger said:

I need to see the Gulf/Ace Hardware too soon as that seems to be on the hit list as well. Where are the site plans for this?

FYI: The Gulf/Ace Hardware is getting ready to close in preparation of the new ramp. Employees don't know when the closure is happening, just that it'll be "any day". Everything in the Ace  Hardware portion of the store is 25% off.

1 hour ago, JLWM8609 said:

FYI: The Gulf/Ace Hardware is getting ready to close in preparation of the new ramp. Employees don't know when the closure is happening, just that it'll be "any day". Everything in the Ace  Hardware portion of the store is 25% off.

I visited sometime late last year, no pics, but I got to see it at least!

1 hour ago, JLWM8609 said:

Not necessarily. The schematics I've seen for the project don't show the mainlanes being rebuilt. The mainlanes may be a mess in some places where they have to shift the traffic to make room for construction of the toll lanes. Once they're done with the project, most of those mainlanes will be restriped to their original condition or possibly given an asphalt overlay. 

I don't know, in Pearland they had the ramps all torn up and even started to take down part of the outside retaining wall.

11 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

Of course they would have a everything must go sale right after I bought hardware

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if they will be putting feeder road along 288 between 610 and the beltway? I see dirt being moved along the side of the freeway, but there is no clear indication from the renderings (drive288.com is seriously lacking imo). There is definitely enough room and would help with congestion I think. 

On 8/11/2018 at 2:22 AM, JLWM8609 said:

The new ramps from 610 EB to 288 NB and 610 WB to 288 SB will be opening up this weekend. https://abc13.com/traffic/major-milestone-new-hwy-288-ramps-to-open-at-south-loop/3921854/

Drove on the new ramp today. You can clearly see both the TMC and CBD skylines. Must be up really high!

3 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Drove on the new ramp today. You can clearly see both the TMC and CBD skylines. Must be up really high!

You can see the 610 ship channel bridge from the ramp from 610 EB to 288 NB. You couldn't see it before on the older ramp. These new ramps are pretty high, but since the interchange is a four level stack, the ramp is not as high as some of the ramps on the Beltway's five level stacks. I also like the geometrics of the new ramp. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They're closing the trench in midtown this weekend, though no clues in the email for what

Friday, October 19 (9 pm) - Monday, October 22 (5 am)
- Complete continuous closure of IH-69 Southbound from IH-45 Gulf to SH-288
Detour: Proceed on SH-288 South to  IH-610 west and continue to IH- 69 north and south connectors.
- Complete continuous closure of IH-45 Northbound Connector Ramp to IH-69 South
Detour: Proceed on IH-45 North to IH-610 IH-610 west/south to IH-69 north and south connector.
- Complete continuous closure of IH-45 Southbound Connector Ramp to IH-69 South
Detour: Proceed on IH-45 South to IH-610 west to IH-69 north and south connector.
- Complete continuous closure of SH-288 Northbound Connector Ramp to IH-69 South
Detour: Take IH-45 north connector and continue north to IH-10 west to IH-610 west loop south exit ramp. Continue on IH-610 south to IH-69 north and south connector

• 1 month later...

One of our drone operators needs to take a video from this angled height. It's remarkable because not only do you see downtown and the med center, but you also get Galleria/Uptown and Greenway Plaza in the view. It's an amazing angle and height for a better informed understanding of how Houston is slowly filling in from all directions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The new in bound off ramp at Holcombe  for the med center on 288 that is under construction now is going to have a spectacular view of downtown. Since it's going over the freeway it has a nice elevation to give an  unencumbered view of downtown from the southeast and  a relatively clear shot. 

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

https://abc13.com/traffic/new-ramps-and-southmore-bridge-opening-this-spring/5136050/

CONNECTOR RAMPS:

SH-288 SOUTHBOUND TO 610 EASTBOUND- Construction crews plan to open this ramp before the Rodeo Cookoff.

SH-288 NORTHBOUND TO 610 WESTBOUND- This ramp is scheduled to open by mid-March.

THE SOUTHMORE BRIDGE- The roadway bridge is expected to open in April, and the pedestrian bridge should open next year.

THE SOUTH LOOP AT SH-288- You'll soon see more lanes available. Right now, it's just two lanes in each direction, but by mid-to-late April, 610 will have three lanes each way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BeerNut said:

https://abc13.com/traffic/new-ramps-and-southmore-bridge-opening-this-spring/5136050/

CONNECTOR RAMPS:

SH-288 SOUTHBOUND TO 610 EASTBOUND- Construction crews plan to open this ramp before the Rodeo Cookoff.

SH-288 NORTHBOUND TO 610 WESTBOUND- This ramp is scheduled to open by mid-March.

THE SOUTHMORE BRIDGE- The roadway bridge is expected to open in April, and the pedestrian bridge should open next year.

THE SOUTH LOOP AT SH-288- You'll soon see more lanes available. Right now, it's just two lanes in each direction, but by mid-to-late April, 610 will have three lanes each way.

I didn't know they were constructing a pedestrian bridge. I never saw one in the schematics.

• 2 weeks later...

A sound barrier is going up at Ardmore and Tampa, and as of last week, they've started re-energizing some of the freeway lighting, with more sections being re-lit each night. Most of the lampposts have new LED lights, which I'm glad to see instead of removing the lampposts and slapping high mast lighting as they've done on almost every other freeway in town.

• Like 2