William P. Hobby Airport

ricco67

• 3 months later...

So glad he is gone. But he got so much money, kept his Porche.  He can fly United first class for life!  And will get another $10,000,000.  The flights attendants might throw a drink at him.  I love United Continental Holdings.  Now that the consolidation all the US airlines have the worst on time arrival Southwest is the worst.  But Delta, American, United, Southwest don't care anymore.  United needs Gordon Bethune again. 

Oscar Munoz appears to be a true outsider. As much as I'd love to see Gordo back, at least Munoz will not be beholden to either the pre-merger UA or CO groups. With lower fuel prices and stability in the industry, UA needs to focus on an upgraded product to compete (particularly for disgruntled high-yield frequent fliers). UA has a hub network that should be industry leading. Time to act like it.

Oscar Munoz appears to be a true outsider. As much as I'd love to see Gordo back, at least Munoz will not be beholden to either the pre-merger UA or CO groups. With lower fuel prices and stability in the industry, UA needs to focus on an upgraded product to compete (particularly for disgruntled high-yield frequent fliers). UA has a hub network that should be industry leading. Time to act like it.

Munoz was on the pre-merger Continental board of directors.

I always believed that Jeff was much of the problem with the troubled merger. UA lost a lot of Loyalty through the transition. This was bound to happen anyway. The final product feels a lot more like United than Continental...unfortunately. I'm really hoping that Munoz is able lift/lead the culture back to where I should be. Bye bye Jeff. Can't say it's been fun.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if there is a topic started already on the new International Terminal at Hobby but today is the grand opening. Exciting times in our city!

http://abc13.com/travel/hobby-airport-opens-international-terminal-today/1034176/

Yes:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/26255-hobby-airport-going-international-swa-will-pay-100m-for-airport-expansion/page-6#entry486178

• Like 1

Really odd that for this month United on-time performance is 79.5% number 2 just behind Delta.  American and Southwest are last.  The pilots wanted him out!

Is that performance actually an improvement?  Or did American and Southwest (and others) get worse.  Pretty sad situation when 79.5% gets you to second place.

• Like 1

The CEO fired a lot of upper management.  Now he is in the hospital.  United still has 17,000 employees in Houston.  Things are turning around.  The flight attendants surprised me a gave me a free drink from IAH to AUS.  The food at the United Club was a full breakfast.  As of now Delta is ahead with 77.8% flights on time.  United has 72.9%, Southwest 70.1% and American 69.6%.  They may not care since they control 80%of the US market.   

The CEO fired a lot of upper management. Now he is in the hospital. United still has 17,000 employees in Houston. Things are turning around. The flight attendants surprised me a gave me a free drink from IAH to AUS. The food at the United Club was a full breakfast. As of now Delta is ahead with 77.8% flights on time. United has 72.9%, Southwest 70.1% and American 69.6%. They may not care since they control 80%of pl.the US market.

What upper management has Munoz fired?

Flew to Mexico and back this weekend.

New terminal is nice. The Pappasitios in it is very good and while still at airport prices ($12 for breakfast taco meal), you get A LOT of food. More like two breakfast burritos with beans and potatoes.

Two issues (although nothing earth shattering).

1.) I didn't enter my passport info when buying the ticket. I thought I could go back later to do that. However, my RR account doesn't let me enter it in. Therefore, I couldn't check in. I had to call in to get my PP # added to the reservation. Then, for some reason, the agent never checked me in. So I had a C# boarding. Ouch. I still can't add my passport info to my RR account. This is a significant oversight by SWA.

2.) SWA's system isn't transferring the global entry / TSA  precheck # to international boarding passes as of yet. Had to go through regular security line.

Global entry kiosk still worked for me, however, when I returned to Hobby.

For those who are flying internationally and returning, the Global entry kiosks are to the right when getting to the immigration checkpoint. The officials are tried to shuffle everyone to the regular kiosks and didn't advertise the Global entry ones. I had to look / ask if they were in use.

They are.

Overall, SWA is still a little rusty / clunky on its international travel operation. I'm sure they'll get it together.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info DNA....according to SW's website, you only need to present your passport at check-in before proceeding through security for international flights -- since I didn't enter my passport information when I bought my tickets, I want to make sure I am prepared before I get there...you weren't able to show them your passport at a kiosk and then go through security ?

Thanks for the info DNA....according to SW's website, you only need to present your passport at check-in before proceeding through security for international flights -- since I didn't enter my passport information when I bought my tickets, I want to make sure I am prepared before I get there...you weren't able to show them your passport at a kiosk and then go through security ?

I tried to use the kiosk, but it was a no-go for me. IDK if other had the same issue.

I went to the full service line and they checked me in, printed my boarding pass, and check my luggage. Others in line seemed to have already checked in. I didn't have that luxury and don't really know why.

My flight was early so regular security wasn't too bad. I parked, checked luggage, went to security, and was sitting at Pappasitos within 30 minutes. I had 1.5 hrs to kill.

Other useful info:

Hobby can't serve alcohol until 7 AM (at least on a weekday). :o

• Like 1

Has or will the name of the airport change to Hobby International Airport?

I haven't heard that being the plan, but it would be interesting if they did. I think it may been known as Hobby International from the time it was renamed for former Gov. Hobby from the old name of Houston International in 1967, until Intercontinental opened in 1969.

• Like 1