Downtown Retail Market

dbigtex56

There are efficient ways to buy groceries and haul them home without using a car. There has to be. It's done in less auto-centric places.

I saw it when I traveled Europe. One thing I remember seeing a lot of people do is roll carry-on like bags behind them. Instead of using bags provided by the store, they used the rolling bags.

With a new way of living and more people moving to urban areas, new ways of doing everyday things should/must be thought of and taken advantage of.

what kind of cart do you own? how regularly do you walk/bike to the store to pick up your groceries?

For me the major reasons for not walking to the store are Houston weather and my work hours. I grew up in Manhattan; my mother shopped on foot into her 80s. Everyone did. My brother regularly walks to the super in Seattle. When I've lived overseas I always walked to the store, unless I walked to the open market. Loved it!

There are efficient ways to buy groceries and haul them home without using a car. There has to be. It's done in less auto-centric places.

I saw it when I traveled Europe. One thing I remember seeing a lot of people do is roll carry-on like bags behind them. Instead of using bags provided by the store, they used the rolling bags.

It may be less convenient, but one way to avoid lugging many bags is more frequent trips. My guess is that the family who made three trips to get their bags on the bus waited until the 'fridge needed to be restocked. But maybe that's just the ways of our Bulk-happy society?

I'm just throwin around some ideas.

With a new way of living and more people moving to urban areas, new ways of doing everyday things should/must be thought of and taken advantage of.

Other folks have hit the key points, but I'll add one more that is really critical:

Who (aside from inmates) lives downtown? People that can afford it. Such people place a high value on their time. It is why they don't ride the bus just about anywhere, and it is why they prefer to make fewer and bulkier trips to the grocery store.

Convenience is key.

what kind of cart do you own? how regularly do you walk/bike to the store to pick up your groceries?

Huh? Hello, right field.

I don't live in a high density area. I was just mentioning information for arguments sake in the case of a downtown grocery store. I mean, it's all hypothetical right now b/c there aren't enough downtown residents. I was speaking in terms of the future.

That's all.

Well in the Europe I know a lot of people actually prefer driving to large supermarkets outside the city centers :P (Main Street Europe is struggling too you know). I personally hated walking or biking to the grocery store (and European fridges might not be as humongous as in Texas, but they are not miniscule, families in Europe usually go grocery shopping once a week).

Anyway, I know several grad students who survive without a car, most of them have a bike, but recently I met somebody who didn't even use a bike. He lived near Reliant, in walking distance to the light rail, and would go to campus riding the light rail. He also uses the light rail for grocery shopping, to the aforementioned Randall's in midtown....

Huh? Hello, right field.

I don't live in a high density area. I was just mentioning information for arguments sake in the case of a downtown grocery store. I mean, it's all hypothetical right now b/c there aren't enough downtown residents. I was speaking in terms of the future.

That's all.

you don't have to live in a high density area to walk/bike/bus to the store.

have we strayed from topic again....but since we're on the subject, its sad that the only grocery store going east from downtown is the Kroger on Polk and Cullen. That is ashamed for such a large city as Houston. Thats store gets so packed because it services U of H students, neighborhood families and any and everyone in the vicinity. The building must be over 35 years old and it needs help! Townhomes are popping up just blocks away where will these newcomers go for groceries? Kroger will is busting at the seems. Grocery store developers where are you? is there such a thing? :wacko::ph34r:

Edited by Vertigo58

Question.

It's BLVD Place thats anchor is going to be a grocery store, right? And that's supposed to be a small "walkable" community, right?

Well, why can't downtown get a grocery store then? Doesn't downtown already have a population bigger than what BLVD Place intends to house?

You bring up an interesting point, but like Niche pointed out, the obvious answer is the grocery will not serve the development alone. Plus as far as amenities, I think the options in BLVD place, as far as retail and residential are a lot more denser than downtown as a whole. I am sure someone can take a few adjacent blocks in north downtown that consist of hotels such as Magnolia and Hotel Icon, residences such as Hermann Lofts, Bayou Lofts, Franklin, Byrd's, and others, retail such as Market Square and the rest of the historic district and justify a grocery coming in such as BLVD's Whole Foods, but the surrounding demographics have to support it also.

You bring up an interesting point, but like Niche pointed out, the obvious answer is the grocery will not serve the development alone.

But my question in return to that answer is...where are all the parking spots for outside dwellers of BLVD Place? How can they shop there if there's no space for their cars?

But my question in return to that answer is...where are all the parking spots for outside dwellers of BLVD Place? How can they shop there if there's no space for their cars?

Well from what I have seen the only setrbacks for BLVD Place will be on Post Oak. The Whole Foods will be stripped with parking, just not as abundant as your average Houston grocery store. Plus I am pretty sure there will be several parking spaces in garages for BLVD Place.

4654mm1.jpg

Well from what I have seen the only setrbacks for BLVD Place will be on Post Oak. The Whole Foods will be stripped with parking, just not as abundant as your average Houston grocery store. Plus I am pretty sure there will be several parking spaces in garages for BLVD Place.

There's the answer to my question. Thanks.

Well in the Europe I know a lot of people actually prefer driving to large supermarkets outside the city centers

Yes, Europe has doscovered the auto, but the last place I lived, grocers discovered the shuttle bus. Yeah, a free bus running through high-density areas served by a super. But to forestall your question, no, I don't see anything separating most Houstonians from their autos.

4654mm1.jpg

At least this pic gives one hope! I love it. Sadly, the homeless issue will resurface as these are the types of places that attract panhandling, sorry just being realistic. You learn after working in downtown for over 14 years. In this pc world we live in that will be a major hurdle. Pierce elevated is just a rocks through from here and you know thats hobo-heaven, oopps that slipped ...pellets will toss see! :lol:

At least this pic gives one hope! I love it. Sadly, the homeless issue will resurface as these are the types of places that attract panhandling, sorry just being realistic. You learn after working in downtown for over 14 years. In this pc world we live in that will be a major hurdle. Pierce elevated is just a rocks through from here and you know thats hobo-heaven, oopps that slipped ...pellets will toss see! :lol:

Ummmm... BLVD Place and the Whole Foods shown in the rendering, will be a good 5 miles from the Pierce Elevated.

Just to add to the topic of a whole foods (or better yet, Central Market) downtown, it wouldn't serve ONLY the residents of downtown. People like me who live near downtown would drive there rather than going to the Kirby one since it would be closer. The closest grocery stores to me are Randals and Fiesta (Midtown) and I'd much prefer Whole Foods. If it was near the light rail I might even bring some food home when I ride downtown. And I am sure business people might stop by and get lunch and eat in store (my sister does this all the time at Whole Foods in NYC), or even grab some groceries on their way home from work.

Edited by Jax

What do you think downtown is ready for ? Just curious.

downtown is filling in just nicely. the pavillions, more residential, some commericial. Perhaps in the future the population will support the specialty grocery store you desire, but it isn't needed currently.

downtown is filling in just nicely. the pavillions, more residential, some commericial. Perhaps in the future the population will support the specialty grocery store you desire, but it isn't needed currently.

Nice try, but I never stated that I wanted a specialty grocery store ??? Nor do I believe there is anything wrong with lots of things that don't currently exist downtown. I think that not having a lot of duplication is a good thing for an area and probably benefits the business owner the most under some circumstances. Actually, that is one thing that makes the Houston Pavilions unique because there is really nothing like it in downtown or in the city for that matter...

Nice try, but I never stated that I wanted a specialty grocery store ??? Nor do I believe there is anything wrong with lots of things that don't currently exist downtown. I think that not having a lot of duplication is a good thing for an area and probably benefits the business owner the most under some circumstances. Actually, that is one thing that makes the Houston Pavilions unique because there is really nothing like it in downtown or in the city for that matter...

i apologize, you didn't that was jax. i think the pavillons location will make it unique. IMO the merchant types there aren't.

I used to have to go to St Louis on business trips. Their downtown used to be a lot like Houston .. When the sun went down, the streets emptied. Some older buildings have now become lofts and you can really feel the difference. It feels like a community... No real retail to speak of except the big old Famous Barr (now Macy's) store. The big suprise was this wonderful little grocery store I found in the middle of downtown. It was like a mini "Central Market" called City Grocers. It is strongly supported by the local loft dwellers and downtown hotel guests, but not nearly the amout of people living in downtown Houston.. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.city-grocers.com/show/Home

I could easily see this surviving in downtown houston. It may not be needed but sure would be nice.

• 1 month later...
Well, speaking of promoting downtown retail... I would imagine that if this is successful, it would be a big step and heating things back up.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...25/daily57.html

It'd be nice if they got crackin' on the Sakowitz Bldg. redevelopment, too.

will be interesting to see what their hours will be. especially prior to the pavilions opening.

Well, speaking of promoting downtown retail... I would imagine that if this is successful, it would be a big step and heating things back up.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...25/daily57.html

It'd be nice if they got crackin' on the Sakowitz Bldg. redevelopment, too.

Interesting name for a sneaker store, the exact same name as the title of the popular book.

Edited by webdude

An upscale collectible sneaker store is opening in the historic Humble building on July 16

July 16, is that right? Havn't seen any work being done. About a week ago only saw the old AA posters and a bunch of cars.

July 16, is that right? Havn't seen any work being done. About a week ago only saw the old AA posters and a bunch of cars.

Unless it's the spot right across the street from HP where Marriot Courtyard is at.

Note: Just answered my own question. I was thinking of the Sakawitz building

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Unless it's the spot right across the street from HP where Marriot Courtyard is at.

Note: Just answered my own question. I was thinking of the Sakawitz building

I'm not entirely sure this is a wise course of action. While quite a bit of foot traffic is being DRIVEN in that direction due to the foot traffic, I'm sure people overall will avoid the area unless they have to go there by necessity. I do think they might do a brisk business from some minor foot traffic from the Hyatt, Marriott, and Residence inn; but I not enough to support it.

I find it interesting that the article deemed it notable to point out that it was being set up along the rail.