BLVD Place Mixed-Use: 1700 Post Oak Blvd & Upcoming Development At 1800 Post Oak Blvd.

Subdude

oh that is weird...if it was on the front side i would say its some fun way to have people experience eating outside of the Whole Foods Market...ie. picnic tables on grass would be fun! but not sure since this looks to be on the north west side of the building!  and hey this has been driving me crazy but at night has anyone else noticed when you look at any of the Frost Bank windows there is that circle light reflection as you drive by? it catches my attention every night as i drive by (the circle light/reflection grows bigger then smaller as you pass it) (i work and live a block away or so on each end of this building...) and i hate it haha...its so distracting to me for some reason!  :blink:  hopefully its just a temporary thing but it appears on all windows on both the east and north side... kooky i know but had to post! haha! (edited to say oh wow you can actually see one of the circles in that photo above... look at the second story up on the left about second window from left and you will see about 3/4 of a circle...!!! oy!)

Edited by gene

in regards to the parking strip in the front that everyone hates so much.. is it possible the Post Oak expansion will eventually take that out, so the shops are closer to the sidewalk/curb? 

and on a side note, what will happen to the chrome arches when they widen post oak?

If the city was smart, instead of looking to widen the street for BRT, they should look for ways to narrow it a bit so that pedestrians will feel more comfortable walking in the area. Post Oak has a suburban design and that area has changed a lot since the road was fist designed. I think the medians should be removed and large continues sidewalks should be put in. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

If the city was smart, instead of looking to widen the street for BRT, they should look for ways to narrow it a bit so that pedestrians will feel more comfortable walking in the area. Post Oak has a suburban design and that area has changed a lot since the road was fist designed. I think the medians should be removed and large continues sidewalks should be put in. Just my opinion.

Although wider sidewalks should be ideal, I like the medians. The Trees are getting more mature each year and really provide Post Oak with the essential Houston feel with Oaks covering the street.

• Like 1

There are certain areas that I have hope for as far as pedestrian activity goes but Uptown is not one of them. Its actually weird saying this because I have criss crossed uptown by foot and bus so I do know how to get around uptown without a car.

uptown is just too suburban business park style developed. It has the jobs, it has the condos, it just too spread out. Must of the towers are set far back from the street, the streets are wide and busy. I just don't see uptown changing.

I think uptown is what it is and I think that attempting to make it more pedestrian friendly will kill the area.

Downtown, midtown, Montrose, 4th ward, Rice Village, even parts if 3rd and second wards have potential. TMC has potential. Westheimer in various parts have potential. Uptown... I just don't think that's where its heading

There are certain areas that I have hope for as far as pedestrian activity goes but Uptown is not one of them. Its actually weird saying this because I have criss crossed uptown by foot and bus so I do know how to get around uptown without a car.

uptown is just too suburban business park style developed. It has the jobs, it has the condos, it just too spread out. Must of the towers are set far back from the street, the streets are wide and busy. I just don't see uptown changing.

I agree the uptown of the 1980s was designed like a bunch of suburban office parks, but fortunately that mindset is changing. There are currently 8 towers that line the edges of post oak. (When the road gets widened they will be even closer to the road).. Not counting the 2 u/c and at least two planned which will all line the road. Just imagine in a decade or two when the 2 large shopping centers at the corners of westheimer and the one at San Felipe get re developed into large urban mixed use developments.. Aren't they widening the sidewalks when they widen post oak? Or did I just make that up?

I agree the uptown of the 1980s was designed like a bunch of suburban office parks, but fortunately that mindset is changing. There are currently 8 towers that line the edges of post oak. (When the road gets widened they will be even closer to the road).. Not counting the 2 u/c and at least two planned which will all line the road. Just imagine in a decade or two when the 2 large shopping centers at the corners of westheimer and the one at San Felipe get re developed into large urban mixed use developments.. Aren't they widening the sidewalks when they widen post oak? Or did I just make that up?

Uptown looks like a huge city from far but get course to the buildings and they are all drive-to office parks.

Here are some Google earth shots. Not one of the buildings are built up to the street

post-12649-0-53134500-1391037541_thumb.p

post-12649-0-33500700-1391037572_thumb.p

post-12649-0-95362900-1391037643_thumb.p

Alright so they arent on the immediate edge of post oak, but when it gets widened they will be pretty damn close.. What's to argue?

They are currently about as close to post oak as they could be while still allowing room to widen post oak and the sidewalks in the area, without having to knock down the buildings when the time comes to expand post oak.

Edited by cloud713

Compare that to downtown and you will see that uptown is always going to be a giant office park.

Its more than being close to the street.

All the buildings engage their own plaza instead of the street. Sorry man I am not buying that widening the street is going to make a meaningful difference

Edited by HoustonIsHome

Compare that to downtown and you will see that uptown is always going to be a giant office park

Well the roads in downtown aren't expanding. All i'm saying is uptown will be more urban (if "urban" means building along the edge of streets) when the road is expanded, since the buildings will be closer to the edge of the street, but I agree much of it was basically built as suburban office parks..

Edited by cloud713

lets get one thing straight. i never said uptown was urban in its current state. i said it may have some slight resemblance of urbanism after the road is expanded (and the transit is in place).. and especially with developments like BLVD Place coming to the area. if redevelopment like that happens with the 3 large shopping centers i mentioned along Post Oak then the area could become somewhat urban, but they have a lot of work to do...

lets get one thing straight. i never said uptown was urban in its current state. i said it may have some slight resemblance of urbanism after the road is expanded (and the transit is in place).. and especially with developments like BLVD Place coming to the area. if redevelopment like that happens with the 3 large shopping centers i mentioned along Post Oak then the area could become somewhat urban, but they have a lot of work to do...

I didn't say you said it would become urban, I said that widened the streets won't change the suburban feel.

Uptown is what it is. I really like it. It is one facet of or diverse liking city. As far as urbanism, it will remain a car dependent paradise. Unless you can rotate all the skyscrapers to integrate with the street instead of their own plaza.

Personally, uptown is pretty as is. The increase in the density of buildings will enhance the area but I don't think they should mess with post oak. I was never really on board for a post oak rail. It should be on a smaller street or underground

• Like 2

I live and work in the "Uptown" area, so I also walk about it a lot.  It is extremely pedestrian-unfriendly, to the point of being quite dangerous.  While I wish it were otherwise, I don't see much likelihood of that aspect changing soon, no matter how many apartment and condo towers go up.  The street grid was not laid out with the idea of accommodating pedestrians in mind and I don't see how that could be rectified w/o spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I really want the area to continue growing.  But, OTOH, every time I walk through the Westheimer/610 intersection, I wonder if I'm going to be hit and sent flying by a frustrated driver in a hurry.

• Like 3

Compare that to downtown and you will see that uptown is always going to be a giant office park.

Its more than being close to the street.

All the buildings engage their own plaza instead of the street. Sorry man I am not buying that widening the street is going to make a meaningful difference

While I do agree that every building in Uptown has its own plaza, to compare it to a giant office park is generalizing the entire district. If you want to generalize an area then go ahead and label the Westchase District. Now that's a giant office park! Uptown is very pedestrian friendly in my opinion, for what Houston offers, and the plazas for the buildings in Uptown are more open to the public to move around and for recreation. 

• Like 1

While I do agree that every building in Uptown has its own plaza, to compare it to a giant office park is generalizing the entire district. If you want to generalize an area then go ahead and label the Westchase District. Now that's a giant office park! Uptown is very pedestrian friendly in my opinion, for what Houston offers, and the plazas for the buildings in Uptown are more open to the public to move around and for recreation.

I respect your opinion, but stick by mine.

Uptown is a step up from Greenspoint and The energy corridor, but still a collection of office parks. That is simply the ambiance each development creates. Each development is an island unto itself.

• Like 1

thank god we can all have an opinion! i live and work in uptown and walk alot...so to ME it is very pedestrian friendly because i do it alot and it is for ME! i cannot wait for Blvd Place to open because i will be walking there alot as well! (the only part i do agree with regarding Uptown being pedestrian unfriendly is crossing westheimer...yikes! that can be a little scary...haha!)

• Like 1

thank god we can all have an opinion! i live and work in uptown and walk alot...so to ME it is very pedestrian friendly because i do it alot and it is for ME! i cannot wait for Blvd Place to open because i will be walking there alot as well! (the only part i do agree with regarding Uptown being pedestrian unfriendly is crossing westheimer...yikes! that can be a little scary...haha!)

I will be walking to blvd place too. Its a welcomed change in development style. I'm happy that you are with me on walking in the area, but just because there are gay republicans doesn't mean republicans are gay friendly and just because me and you walk around uptown doesn't mean uptown is pedestrian friendly. We are just used to it. Its not just westheimer, its also post oak, richmond, 610... the main parts of Uptown.

We need dozens of Blvd places. Its a start but just a chip in the Office Parkburg

• Like 1