World Cup

DJ V Lawrence

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The netherlands-portugal game was a joke. I feel sorry for both teams. The referee made the US-Italy match look like nothing. Also, the penalty kick that was awarded to Italy in stoppage time was waayyy too weak to be the game deciding goal opportunity....especially in an elimination game of the world cup...other than that...its been good

I cant stop watching the maxi rodriguez goal from saturday!

Looking at the Big 8, it looks like some of the biggest powerhouses in sports are all in there

Brazil vs France

Germany vs Argentina

England vs Portugal

Italy vs Ukraine

Only one new to me is Ukraine. I've only heard of them because of their one striker.

Wow, that was a shock: Brazil is out, and a great comeback by France who had started very disappointingly. The World Cup has become a Euro Cup in the semi-finals, for the third time since the war (England 1966 and Spain 1982).

And before the England game, I was saying to a friend that they will be sent home after a penalty shoot-out as usual (they have never won one during a world cup, while Germany has won all of them, in fact since 1982, only one penalty kick in a shoot-out did not reach its goal. Nobody knows why this is so, since practicing penalties and actually executing them after 120 minutes of play are two completely different things)

Also, if we look at the statistics:

Only European and South American teams have won the cup so far. When the world cup was held in Europe, European teams have won exclusively (with the exception of Sweden 1958, which was won by Brazil, interestingly, against the host nation), and when it was held outside of Europe, only South American teams have won. Looks as this won't change this time ;)...

Also, the world cup record of the remaining teams:

Germany: 3

Italy: 3

France: 1

Portugal: 0

And England and the Netherlands were eliminated without playing Germany, so there were no riots worth mentioning... however, Germany-Italy is also one of the classics, and whenever the two teams played, the Italians won. But they also lost in semi-finals against the host nations twice, so there is hope statistically :P ...

I am conflicted about Portugal-France, but I think I'll favor France here because I like how they came back from a dismal start. Also I think they would be the better opponent for Germany in the finals ;)

I am real glad France beat Brazil. I was hoping for an England win, though. They already have the 2012 Olympics, though, so they can't win everything.

I wonder what a World Cup in the US would be like?

I wonder what a World Cup in the US would be like?

It was here in 1994 and it was a pretty good success. They played in LA, Dallas, and Detoit (in the Silverdeome during the summer without air conditioning). I think they played in another city too.

They didn't play down here in Houston? I am sure now they would, with Reliant Stadium.

The only reason why Houston didn't host any games in '94 was because the Astrodome was not willing to change to natural grass. Also have to remember that the Astros were playing there that Summer, and they didn't have plans to relocate. If the U.S. hosted again, Houston would probably be one of the host cities because we now have Reliant. There is talk now that the U.S. is pushing to host again in 2018. 2014 is going to be in South America, with Brazil being the likely host nation. Of course, 2010 will be in South Africa.

I was stunned when France won. I was expecting Brazil vs. Portugal, which would have been a catfight. Watching David and Posh cry after the Portugal match was different also.

Interesting fact: IF Portugal loses and France wins, no matter who wins the Germany-Italy match, the Final will be between bordering nations. That MAY start the riot we've been looking for, yes? :P

Quick question: Who do you think scored the best goal of the World Cup? Mine would have to be the stoppage time goal between Argentina and Mexico. STILL blows my mind how that went in!

I was stunned when France won. I was expecting Brazil vs. Portugal, which would have been a catfight. Watching David and Posh cry after the Portugal match was different also.

Interesting fact: IF Portugal loses and France wins, no matter who wins the Germany-Italy match, the Final will be between bordering nations. That MAY start the riot we've been looking for, yes? :P

Quick question: Who do you think scored the best goal of the World Cup? Mine would have to be the stoppage time goal between Argentina and Mexico. STILL blows my mind how that went in!

Yeah Becks crying, and all the other players, good riddance! (*England-Germany football rivalry showing*)... there were some cute Brazil fans who were in tears too, well at least in Europe many people who don't know much about soccer support Brazil because it is the safe thing to do and it is trendy, good that this is over too.... it seems that this time the tournament will be decided exclusively by teams playing ugly catenaccio-like soccer, although I take it that is how Parreira won the world cup in 1994...

Well, there is a football rivalry between France and Italy, and between Germany and Italy. But traditionally, soccer has not been the most important sport in France (they're more into cycling), and therefore do not have a long history of violent fans, erm, hooligans. This has been changing in the last few years (doubtless also because of the "dopage" scandals the Tour de France has been having since the 1990s), but historically you'll find more violent fans in Italy (where they are called "ultras") and Germany. At the top in Europe are England and Poland, but they are home now...

As for the best goal, I might be biased, but I think Miroslav Klose had some nice ones, for instance his first head ball goal in three years against Argentina... (and he is leading the topscore with five goals right now)....

@Trae: there is a long thread on whether Houston should be a world cup venue in the same sub-forum, just go check it out..

I meant to watch the game, but something came up - rather was coming up. I went outside and watched the grass grow. Much more exciting that watching soccer! :lol:

Apparantly 1.5 billion people disagree :) Also, in the U.S. alone, ratings in this World Cup final shot up 110% from the last final in Korea/Japan 2002. Plus the viewing parties were pretty large here too. I was surprised when they showed the thousands that gathered in Boston. i can't imagine what NYC looked like.

Zidane's actions shocked me. He's supposed to be a legend in sports. More people in the world can recognize him before Micheal Jordan. Word on the street has it that the Italian player said a racist remark and it set him off. He should have taken his fustrations out on the ball instead of the dude's chest. Guess it doesn't matter since he's already a World Champion, huh?

Word on the street has it that the U.S. are pursuing Germany's coach. Soccer now has it's fanbase in America, but do you think the U.S. soccer team will have a better shot at winning in 2010?

Italy won fair and square. I just loved the way Zidane knocked the hell out of that guy. That was one hard-ass hit.

I can't wait until 2018, U.S. gets to host the World Cup. I hope in 2010, America can make it to the end. Its always a Europe Cup (except for the last WC).

It is just amazing how big these soccer stadiums are. They seat 100,000 fans. They just dwarf any stadium here in America.

I also don't understand this thing with soccer being boring. It is actually exciting. You just have to watch it. Many of us Americans thing a 3-1 game is boring. But in football that would be a 21-7 game. I actually would take soccer over baseball.

It is just amazing how big these soccer stadiums are. They seat 100,000 fans. They just dwarf any stadium here in America.

Actually, as big as they looked on TV, Berlin's Olympic Stadium is the largest one, at 66,021 capacity. Many of the stadiums were 40,000 or less. Most were beautiful, though.

Wow, they appear much larger than that. Most of them look like they can dwarf Reliant.

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/WorldCup_1950.htm

The Olympic Stadium in Germany once could seat almost 100,000, but was scaled down eventually to the size it is now. The biggest capacity crowd ever for a World Cup was 174,000 in Brazil 1950. They almost built a soccer stadium there that could fit 220,000 people.

I can't think of any sporting event that comes close to the World Cup. More people watch a 1st round game of the World Cup than they do the Super Bowl. 1st round games this year alone caused elections and civil wars to be postponed and national holidays to be announced per game because no one can show up to work.

To RedScare, Berlin's Olympic Stadium was the second largest in this World Cup. The largest was at the city where Germany lost to Italy in the semi-final, with a capacity of 80,000+

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/WorldCup_1950.htm

The Olympic Stadium in Germany once could seat almost 100,000, but was scaled down eventually to the size it is now. The biggest capacity crowd ever for a World Cup was 174,000 in Brazil 1950. They almost built a soccer stadium there that could fit 220,000 people.

I can't think of any sporting event that comes close to the World Cup. More people watch a 1st round game of the World Cup than they do the Super Bowl. 1st round games this year alone caused elections and civil wars to be postponed and national holidays to be announced per game because no one can show up to work.

To RedScare, Berlin's Olympic Stadium was the second largest in this World Cup. The largest was at the city where Germany lost to Italy in the semi-final, with a capacity of 80,000+

Interesting Link on the Brazillian Stadium mentioned above

There are plenty of 90k + stadiums in the USA.

Rose Bowl

LA Colliseum

Stanford (I think it is about 90k)

Michigan

Ohio State

Tennessee

Memorial Stadium (Maybe not now, but there is always talk of expanding the Horns Home Field)

Another Site showing the largest College Football Stadiums. I was right about Stanford

I meant to watch the game, but something came up - rather was coming up. I went outside and watched the grass grow. Much more exciting that watching soccer! :lol:

Everyone keeps saying that soccer is boring. This always strikes me as odd coming from Americans who see nothing boring about 3 hour baseball games, half of which time is devoted to breaks and junk on the video board instead of the game.

I think is really just that, like any sport, you have to get accustomed to the flow of the game. Unlike baseball or American football, which start and stop, the ball is in play almost continually. To me, if anything the games seem to go a lost faster because of it.

The commentary during the matches was really extremely inane. Why do they feel the need to chatter non-stop during the game?

despite that move, he has won the Golden Ball award for the best player at the World in 2006!

I tivo'ed the head-to-chest incident, and still enjoy it. Never seen a blow like that before in a soccer match :lol: Mazzeratti, the dude that recieved the head, came out and said he did insult Zidane right before he got popped. There are rumors that he insulted Zidane's mama, or called him a "dirty terrorist", bioth of which Mazzerati said is not true. That move will probably be talked and debated about for months. Also about the Golden Ball, even after the incident, the polls were opened to vote for the best player in the World Cup, and he still got that win. It wasn't like the polls were closed before the game.

To Subdude, I can't think of many team sports on tv where the announcers don't talk non-stop throughout the match :)

FIFA is discussing taking away the golden ball from Zidane.

Despite the head-butt, Zidane was awarded the Golden Ball award for best player at the World Cup -- though FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested Zidane could be stripped of the honor.

"The winner of the award is not decided by FIFA, but by an international commission of journalists," Blatter said in Italian newspaper La Repubblica. "That said, FIFA's executive committee has the right, and the duty, to intervene when faced with behavior contrary to the ethics of the sport."

and DJ, if you add "US announcers" to your statement about announcers talking non-stop, i'll agree with you. they come up with the most outrageous stats just so there's no dead air. this doesn't happen in Europe.

the commentators during the world cup were terrible, my German friend was in town, and she preferred to mute it and put on Mexican radio, even though she doesn't know spanish. it just sounded more exciting.

FIFA is discussing taking away the golden ball from Zidane.

and DJ, if you add "US announcers" to your statement about announcers talking non-stop, i'll agree with you. they come up with the most outrageous stats just so there's no dead air. this doesn't happen in Europe.

the commentators during the world cup were terrible.

i can't agree more. u.s. commentators suck. i watched games in either chinese, polish, portugees or spanish. those commentators were so much better than u.s. commentators although i speak none of langueges i just mentioned...

The sad thing about filling in all that air time...was that they were throwing in random comparissons. I know that most American's don't follow soccer...but coming from one who does, it just sounded stupid. It would have been nice to watch a game without hearing football analogies.

Archived