World Cup

DJ V Lawrence

Last World Cup, I had the privilage of being in Houston for the start of it (a World Cup house party to start the tournament), then coming to Korea to start my Army time here during the 1st round. It was the BIGGEST party I've ever seen in my life. The atmosphere was Super Bowl times 120.

And don't be fooled if you thought us Americans weren't partying. Every game we won caused chaos on each base. We all had American flags, and heard from our families that Americans were starting to love the USA again.

I do plan on partying this time back in my favorite city, Houston. And I don't give a damn what's trendy or cool or not. I love America. And I plan on cheering the US on as my 1st team (and I will cheer for my other home countries 2ndly). I hope the city of Houston throws block parties downtown the way we did for the Astros in the World Series, 'cause we'd be lame if we didn't.

...and if you think we don't have a chance at winning the world championship, the US today is now ranked the 4th best in the World

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

y'all gonna party this June as well?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last World Cup, I had the privilage of being in Houston for the start of it (a World Cup house party to start the tournament), then coming to Korea to start my Army time here during the 1st round. It was the BIGGEST party I've ever seen in my life. The atmosphere was Super Bowl times 120.

And don't be fooled if you thought us Americans weren't partying. Every game we won caused chaos on each base. We all had American flags, and heard from our families that Americans were starting to love the USA again.

I do plan on partying this time back in my favorite city, Houston. And I don't give a damn what's trendy or cool or not. I love America. And I plan on cheering the US on as my 1st team (and I will cheer for my other home countries 2ndly). I hope the city of Houston throws block parties downtown the way we did for the Astros in the World Series, 'cause we'd be lame if we didn't.

...and if you think we don't have a chance at winning the world championship, the US today is now ranked the 4th best in the World

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

y'all gonna party this June as well?

June is Manchester, England time for me this year...not in stone fully, yet...but mostly place i will be. No matter where i am, i will party :)

June is Manchester, England time for me this year...not in stone fully, yet...but mostly place i will be. No matter where i am, i will party :)

If there aren't American flags everywhere this June, and people aren't talking about the tournament like they would the NFL playoffs, then something's definately wrong LOL!!!

I can't wait to be home for this one

Sadly, I've never once heard anyone talk about the World Cup.

You gotta run with a "soccer crowd."

Back in high school, my friends and I wouldn't even go to the football games. They were all jerks. We'd go to every soccer game and act like crazy nuts.

The World Cup is a very special time. The nation pride in each of the countries around the world is phenomenal. One of my good friends scored tickets to the opening round games for the US and the round of 16 game, too. THAT'S a nice vacation.

i'd stay home while my friends are going to germany. last world cup in japan and korea, it was a mess when japan passed 1st round first time in their soccer history. streets were blocked off everywhere by people going nuts. i don't think it's gonna happen here, but just in case....

I would say a good place to watch will be the Richmond Arms on Richmond and Fountainview. They show a lot of Soccer in there and there are a lot of soccer fans in general that will watch the world cup that go in there. Lots of Brits, Scots, Irish and US in there. The bar will be cheering for the US unless we are playing one of those other countries and then it will be mixed.

Seeing that I'm here in Manchester I was debating about taking in a game. I'm not a big soccer fan but from what I heard the games here can be one hell of an experience. I'll look into the cost and who would want to go. If a riot breaks out I'll be the guy with the Texas flag waving :D ......them wacky Brits love to riot at games :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Houston Dynamo's Brian Ching is in! Here's the US Roster for 2006...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3836664.html

By the way, the U.S.'s first game is against the Czech Republic on Wednesday, June 12th at 11am Houston-time. And unless you already made plans, there's no point in going to Germany now. All of America's games are sold out...

its great we sold the games out....im just scared about our bracket...its not an easy one...but we will overcome

Pretty dangerous, ain't it?! Czech is #2 in the World, Italy's in and out of the top 10, and Ghana's rank #1 in Africa. It will be a miracle in itself if we get out the first round...

• 1 month later...

sorry to resurrect old thread, but since it's gonna be on this friday, i hope it's ok. i'm watching games at home... since i don't have cable, i'm gonna have to watch one of those spanish speaking channels. i'm not gonna understand spanish, but i think it'll be ok... go u.s.!! (and netherland)

Thank you Spencer!

I bought an American flag to hang on the dead-end sign by my house for the U.S., and if anyone here loves the U.S.A, they should do it as well.

At least for now, my friends and I will have a little block party outside my crib for the 1st round American games, but I still haven't heard anything from the City Of Houston about Main Street the way they did for the Astros :unsure:

At least for now, my friends and I will have a little block party outside my crib for the 1st round American games, but I still haven't heard anything from the City Of Houston about Main Street the way they did for the Astros :unsure:

I watched something the other day on TV, how the US is ranked number 4 but not many people in the US seem to care.

Pretty dangerous, ain't it?! Czech is #2 in the World, Italy's in and out of the top 10, and Ghana's rank #1 in Africa. It will be a miracle in itself if we get out the first round...

In Group E Ghana is considered weak, and both Czeck and US strong. US is considered a hot outside chance, but Italy is favored to make it to the finals. Should be interesting.

In Group E Ghana is considered weak, and both Czeck and US strong. US is considered a hot outside chance, but Italy is favored to make it to the finals. Should be interesting.

Yep, the consensus seems to be that the winner of the US-Italy match will take 2nd place in the group (assuming everyone else beats Ghana). However, the US certainly can't take any of the games lightly. I'm definitely looking forward to an extended lunch Monday to watch the US-Czech match.

I watched something the other day on TV, how the US is ranked number 4 but not many people in the US seem to care.

Everyone I've talked to on the street's psyched up about the World Cup, especially for USA, but the media seems to be trying to keep coverage at an absolute minimum.

I do believe the US will make it to the next round with the Czech. I LOVE Italia, but I think they will be knocked off because I think Ghana has at least one surprise in them.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I do think USA could win it this time! And I think the world would change ten-fold if we did.

It's been an entertaining World Cup thus far. I just finished watching the Mexico win over Iran on ABC (the American Broadcasting Company) and Univision. I can't WAIT to see how Univision parties for the U.S. on the pre-game show before we take on #2 Czech Republic, since they were partying hardcore for Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico, etc.

And I can't wait to see the U.S. battle...on ESPN 2 <_< ABC's showing local news and All My Children during America's game to show that America's a country worth cheering for <_<

ok. admittedly i don't get out much but --- to me it seems

that this is the most i have ever heard of the world cup.

worldcup fever (or whatever it is) seems crazy this time!

i was at harry's having breakfast this morning and all of

the waitstaff had soccer t-shirts on and the televisions were

tuned in. when a goal was made HOLY CRAP if it wasn't

like a sports bar for a few minutes. everyone was happy!

i'm not complaining in any way --- i am just asking if the

fever is more prevalent this year and why?

ok. admittedly i don't get out much but --- to me it seems

that this is the most i have ever heard of the world cup.

worldcup fever (or whatever it is) seems crazy this time!

i was at harry's having breakfast this morning and all of

the waitstaff had soccer t-shirts on and the televisions were

tuned in. when a goal was made HOLY CRAP if it wasn't

like a sports bar for a few minutes. everyone was happy!

i'm not complaining in any way --- i am just asking if the

fever is more prevalent this year and why?

It depends on where you are and what sort of crowd is there. Obviously, Harry's is into the Cup and provided a fun place to watch the games. I remember 1994 as the first time I really ever paid attention. The World Cup was in USA that year so interest was at high. 1998 was a total dissapointment for the USA squad so there was not a lot of excitement in mainstream. In 2002 the USA team made it to the quarterfinals before losing to Gemany. Excitement was very high for that. I went to Staggs Head at 4:30 in the morning to watch that game.

I think there is a lot of excitement this year for the USA squad. Today's games was a hug dissapointment and now they pretty much must win against Italy if they are too advance.

I am not sure, but I think the "fever" might also be with the schedule this year. THe games are on in the morning and into the afternoon. When the games were played in Korea all the games were played in the middle of the night (USA time) so it was hard to get people really interested in the tourney.

Just my 2 cents worth !!

Archived