World Cup

DJ V Lawrence

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, so I don't know jack about world cup. So the US got beat by the Czechs so is the US eliminated or is it best out 3 or 5?

No not at all. The 32 teams are broken up into 8 groups of 4. Within each group a team will play the other three teams one time. You get 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 points for a loss. The top two teams from each group typically advance.

The US was seeded with Czech Republic, Italy and Ghanna. The Czech team is highly ranked (#2) and the Italians are some peoples pick to win it all. So for the US to advance the next round (16 teams) they probably need to bee Italy and Ghanna. It is a tall order at this point.

No not at all. The 32 teams are broken up into 8 groups of 4. Within each group a team will play the other three teams one time. You get 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 points for a loss. The top two teams from each group typically advance.

The US was seeded with Czech Republic, Italy and Ghanna. The Czech team is highly ranked (#2) and the Italians are some peoples pick to win it all. So for the US to advance the next round (16 teams) they probably need to bee Italy and Ghanna. It is a tall order at this point.

:wacko: Thanks ;)

Um, that was the worst U.S. game I've ever seen. Thanx to the 0-3 loss, we're currently the lowest ranked team in the World Cup.

For the U.S to have a chance to advance, they HAVE to shock the world and beat Italy, who won 2-0 to Ghana. If we lose, we're out. If we tie, we'd have to beat Ghana by at LEAST 4 goals to get to the sweet 16.

The only positive thing I can say is that there were more fans cheering for America than I've EVER seen overseas. It was beautiful hearing the fans singing the anthem for America's team.

Let's see what our fans and team come up with on Saturday....

Well, it's too soon to tell so we can still be optimistic. Of course, it doesn't help the odds.

definitely...we still have two games to go and you can almost count on the Czechs to beat Italy and Ghana. But we do need to win out.

Richmond Arms was showing the game live during the last World Cup. The bar was packed at 4:00am. I'm pretty sure they were serving beer too!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! !

What the hell is the matter with you ! :P:lol:

definitely...we still have two games to go and you can almost count on the Czechs to beat Italy and Ghana. But we do need to win out.

Hi, I am a German who usually lives in Houston and am back home now for watching the world cup. Let me share my impressions so far:

Group A:

Germany: the whole country has gone crazy, you see German flags all over the place (in a country that usually looks down on patriotism). The last time Germany hosted a World Cup was in 1974, and then they won. So of course everybody expects of the team to win again (an interesting article about the German coach, who is commuting from California)... We got tickets for Ecuador-Costa Rica, at least the same group LOL, it might be relevant, although after Poland losing I don't see any problem for Germany advancing as first (I don't know much about Ecuador though).

Group B:

England and Sweden, one the perpetual favorite, the other the perpetual dark horse, had very disappointing showings so far. I mean if you can't win against Trinidad and Tobago even if you have one more player on the field, how should you win against any other team? (T&T was the smallest nation ever to qualify for a world cup). But this is good for the German team, since the winners from Group A will be paired with the winners from Group B. (Also expect riots should Germany play England LOL)

Group C:

no surprises so far, the favorite teams won so far: Argentina and the Netherlands (who btw are the archenemies of the German team, expect a lot of riots if both teams should play against each other)

Group D:

Mexico-Iran: it was a true relief for the host country that Iran lost so clearly. Iran's president has said that he will be coming to Germany if Iran makes it to the final 16. And since for this summer the FIFA has taken over the country there would be no legal possibility to prevent him from doing so.

Angola-Portugal was also one of these interesting situations soccer can create, pitting former colonial power against former colony. (The famous Portuguese soccer player, Eusebio, for instance, was actually from Angola.) Portugal won clearly though (they are still reeling from their loss in the final of the European cup two years ago in their own country).

Group E:

Well, the Italians are in disarray due to the big corruption scandal that hit the Italian Serie A (especially Juventus), so that might weaken them (but not enough for Ghana ^_^ ). But if the most important player in the Czech team, Jan Koller (and incidentally the tallest player in the World Cup) does not recover from the hamstring injury he received in the US game (with another top striker out of the game already), this might make it harder for them to win against Italy (although it is truly impressive how many Czech players are at top European clubs). But then if Italy beat the Czechs, the US team just needs to beat Ghana by a high enough margin! Well, actually I figured we should have a look at the possibilities:

Italy-Ghana: 1:0

US-Czech Rep: 0:3

resulting in the following table: Czech R. 3 pts, Italy 3 pts, Ghana 0 pts, US 0 pts. (if you have the same amount of pts, the number of goals will determine the exact ranking).

the following games are still on:

Italy-US

Czech Republic-Ghana

Czech Republic-Italy

Ghana-US

let us assume Ghana loses all their games

so this will mean:

Czech R. 6 pts, Italy 3 pts, US 3 pts, Ghana 0 pts.

The following scenarios:

A. Italy wins against Czech R.

now we're left with Italy-US and Czech R.-Italy. At this moment, the odds are that Italy will win both games, which would mean Italy and Czech R. advancing. If the US team gets a draw against Italy, this still will not be enough:

Italy 7 pts, Czech R. 6 pts, US 4 pts, Ghana 0 pts.

If the US beat Italy (which would be sensational), the US needs to have scored more goals than Italy or Czech R.:

Czech R. 6 pts, Italy 6 pts, US 6 pts, Ghana 0 pts.

B. Italy loses against Czech R.

then we get:

Czech R. 9 pts, Italy 3 pts, US 3 pts, Ghana 0 pts.

The match Italy-US would determine who advances. In case of a draw against Italy, the US would still need to score more goals.

C. Czech R.-Italy a draw game

then we get

Czech R. 7 pts, Italy 4 pts, US 3 pts, Ghana 0 pts.

The US would need to win against Italy.

D. Ghana manages a draw against Czech R.

Highly unlikely, but then we would have

Czech 4 pts, Italy 3 pts, US 3 pts, Ghana 1 pt

The scenarios B and C wouldn't change, since the US still would need to win against Italy (or in the case of B ) have a draw against Italy and more goals. It would be good for A, because then a draw against Italy will be enough to advance, as long as the US scored more goals than Italy or CR did.

So everything hinges on Saturday's match. If they manage to win, it'll be ok if Italy loses against CR (I'm just assuming the US will beat Ghana). You can hope for a draw game between Czech R. and Ghana on the same day, as this would increase the odds if Italy won against CR, which I think is more likely given that Baros and Koller are unable to play, which means that not only would the US need to beat Italy but also to score more goals than them. You can go to this site to calculate all possible scenarios yourself.

Group F:

Brazil: the long-awaited first game of the Brazilian side tonight, in the so-called "group of death" with Brazil, Croatia, Japan and Australia (although after the disappointing Japanese defeat against Australia, giving them the first win ever in a world cup, I think it's pretty much predictable that Brazil and Croatia will advance)

Group G:

South Korea-Togo: the Togo team is in complete chaos after their German coach resigned since the association couldn't resolve its conflict with its players over premiums. This should be an easy one for Korea. And then I turned on the TV, and saw that not only the original coach has returned, but also that Togo is leading 1-0. I can never decide if the Korean team is over- or underrated...

The Swiss team used to be real bad, but they've become better and better, beating Turkey in the quals, it's really hard to say how they will play...

Group H:

hasn't played yet, but it should be relatively easy for Spain to advance against Tunisia, Saudi-Arabia and Ukraine. I guess given the fact that the Ukrainians have some players who play in European top leagues, it'll be safe to say that they'll advance (the Saudis pay their pros comparably high salaries which in fact discourages Saudi players to accumulate more experience in stronger leagues).

So in a nutshell: Group A: Germany and Poland/Ecuador, Group B: England and Sweden, Group C: Argentina and the Netherlands, Group D: Mexico and Portugal, Group E: Czech Republic and Italy, with a faint chance for the US, Group F: Brazil and Croatia, Group G: France and Switzerland/South Korea , Group H: Spain and Ukraine. Yes, this reflects a European/South American bias, but only teams from these regions have won the cup so far. Interestingly whenever the cup was held outside of Europe, the winner was a South American team, so that's why Germany lost in 2002 (no just kidding).

One last thing about the rankings: nobody takes them seriously in Europe (the only national ranking that matters in Europe is the one of the UEFA, since that determines how many teams from the national leagues are allowed to compete in the European Champions League, which is where the big money is in today's soccer). This might be European arrogance, but tournaments have always had their own rules (like the surprising advance of the German team in 2002, we were actually quite happy that the Germans didn't win, since that would have been too upsetting :D ). Well, of course the FIFA uses them to seed the teams for the groups, but they use a mix of performances at the world cup finals (which means the actual tournaments) and the FIFA world ranking which is basically determined by any game a national team plays. According to this, the eight seeded teams were: Brazil, England, Spain, Germany, Mexico, France, Argentina, Italy, closely followed by the US, the Netherlands, South Korea and Japan.

Also, before the game, the US team made a number of comments on German TV disparaging the Czechs that were ill-received here (sorry couldn't find any link):

- nowadays it matters more how many of your players play for top leagues with the highest salaries, which are the Premier League (England), Serie A (Italy) and Primera Division (Spain), which is a huge problem for Germany as well, since the Bundesliga has been on the decline in the last few years (ability-wise, not attendance-wise though). I mean we are talking about clubs like Chelsea who just bought an Ukrainian top player for 85 million euro. In contrast, Bavaria Munich just bought a German top player for a measly 10 million euro. No wonder even the top German club, Bavaria Munich, regularly performs poorly in the Champions League.

- when one player said (in fluent German by the way, that's the good thing about US players, most of them went to college and make a much better impression on TV than most of their European colleagues) that the US qualified four or five times in a row, and the Czechs are there for the first time since 1990, that's true, but qualifying in the European group is much harder than in the North American group (although one of the commentators, a German Bundesliga coach, who sneered "who was playing Western Samoa after all", got it wrong). And the Czechs have had a long tradition of participating in world cups, but then they used to be a different country, Czechoslavakia (and after the fall of the Iron Curtain, it apparently took some time to reorganize the way the national team was run over there).

- The US team has always been one of the underdogs at the World Cups, but they definitely still have a chance of advancing, and once you make it to the final 16, anything can happen (just like the Greeks unexpectedly won the European cup two years ago). I just checked the schedule though, and if the US makes it to second place in their group, they will play the first team of the Brazilian group, and I'd say playing against Brazil then is a high possibilty... well, that's it, I'd say, but it still would be pretty impressive, since losing your first game always puts you at a steep disadvantage.

- I would compare the US team to the Japanese team, both teams have made enormous progress in the past years, and advanced to the elimination phase in 2002, but both have disappointed this time in their first match. Of course, both teams also suffer tremendously from the fact that soccer is not the most popular sport in their home countries, unlike most European countries. And as Japanese commentators said this time the pressure on the Japanese team is low because the Japanese won the "world cup" already in their favorite sport ^_^ .

Sorry for going so long, I'll be briefer next time :)

Group G:

South Korea-Togo: the Togo team is in complete chaos after their German coach resigned since the association couldn't resolve its conflict with its players over premiums. This should be an easy one for Korea. And then I turned on the TV, and saw that not only the original coach has returned, but also that Togo is leading 1-0. I can never decide if the Korean team is over- or underrated...

oops, already obsolete: now the Togo team has to manage with 10 players, and the Koreans scored twice... at least the Koreans know how to score against ten players, unlike the Swedes :P

Krix,

great post. That is awesome you are back in Germany for the festivities and matches. I had the pleasure of vacationing in Portugal during the Euro Cup 2 years ago. I saw Portugal beat England and Greece beat France. Great games, especially the Portugal victory. The whole country was electric and Lisbon (where the game was played) was off the hook. It was Mardi Gras time 2. Since we were American, many of the Portugese could not tell us apart from English. We got ribbed pretty well. We then bought Portugese gear and fit right in. It was a total blast. I can only imagine how crazy Germany is going right now.

On the world stage there is nothing bigger then Soccer. The Americans are getting better and hopefully will become a force one of these days. I would like to see they play more European teams and South American teams for warm ups etc.

Krix,

great post. That is awesome you are back in Germany for the festivities and matches. I had the pleasure of vacationing in Portugal during the Euro Cup 2 years ago. I saw Portugal beat England and Greece beat France. Great games, especially the Portugal victory. The whole country was electric and Lisbon (where the game was played) was off the hook. It was Mardi Gras time 2. Since we were American, many of the Portugese could not tell us apart from English. We got ribbed pretty well. We then bought Portugese gear and fit right in. It was a total blast. I can only imagine how crazy Germany is going right now.

On the world stage there is nothing bigger then Soccer. The Americans are getting better and hopefully will become a force one of these days. I would like to see they play more European teams and South American teams for warm ups etc.

that's great. So you actually managed to get tickets, did you plan that in advance or were you able to go there and spontaneously buy some? With the world cup, the FIFA has reserved so many tickets for sponsors that many regular fans who applied at the lottery to win the right to buy a ticket (LOL) didn't get anything. We were lucky enough to get Costa Rica - Ecuador.

that's great. So you actually managed to get tickets, did you plan that in advance or were you able to go there and spontaneously buy some? With the world cup, the FIFA has reserved so many tickets for sponsors that many regular fans who applied at the lottery to win the right to buy a ticket (LOL) didn't get anything. We were lucky enough to get Costa Rica - Ecuador.

WE did the lottery almost a year in advance. Once we go the tickets we planned our trip accordingly. I think we were able to buy 4 tickets to 2 different games. Another friend got 2 tickets to three games. 5 of us dudes ended up going on the trip. We spent the first 4 nights in Lagos down in the Algarve and the last 4 days in Lisbon. When Portugal beat Spain we were in Lagos. That place went off as well. WE drank ourselves silly and had a blast. Great atmosphere.

Wow, 1-0 for Ghana against Czech Republic in the first minute! Should Ghana become (against all odds) the first African team to win a match at this world cup, it would increase the chances for the US team... they would still have to play well against Italy of course...

I dont think the US could have played much better last night. The red cards were ridiculous and probably cost us a win. I was inspired by the play of our team though, they laid it all on the line with 9 guys. I dont understand why bruce arenas didnt throw in a couple of subs at the end of the game...we had 2 left while italy had used all of theirs. fresh legs could have made a big difference.

I dont think the US could have played much better last night. The red cards were ridiculous and probably cost us a win. I was inspired by the play of our team though, they laid it all on the line with 9 guys. I dont understand why bruce arenas didnt throw in a couple of subs at the end of the game...we had 2 left while italy had used all of theirs. fresh legs could have made a big difference.

yes, playing a draw against Italy is a huge success. The Italians were really disappointing, but the whole game was horrible anyhow. One commentator said that he thought the team from Uruguay was the best (but then the commentator was an ex-referee himself). As for the red cards, the Fifa has told its referees to be stricter in certain situations, everybody knew about this.. (and Pope should have been more careful after getting his first yellow card, as simple as that). But it sure was controversial, even Beckenbauer said (while arguing with said ex-referee) that "maybe we should play basketball instead if you don't want body contact" (and at some other point he compared soccer to chess LOL). But I really do think the referee was excellent. Do you remember the goal he discounted due to offside although the Italian player in question wasn't part of the play in any way? A computer animation later showed that he still was blocking Keller's view, so the decision was correct, hard to see for the linesmen, but not for a referee standing where he should (soccer does not allow its referees to base their decisions on anything else than what they see). I hope they reward him by assigning him a nice game in the last 16.

So this group is full of surprises. Thanks to Ghana, the US still has a chance of advancing, but ironically it depends on Italy. Ideally Italy wins against Czech Republic and the US wins against Ghana. But if Ghana plays like that again, I'm afraid the US team will not be a match against them.

So, many of the favorites and dark horses have disappointed so far: France, Brazil, England, Italy, Mexico, and the dark horses Sweden and Ukraine, and Czech Republic (although some also considered them to be a favorite). Of course Brazil is known for starting off disappointingly and getting better and better, their second match was already better, with Ronaldo actually doing something worthwhile... Until now Argentina seems to be the best team, and Spain has done well, so have the Netherlands, to a certain degree (Netherlands-Argentina will be one of the most important matches in the first round). The German team has also begun to play itself into the hearts of the fans, so let's hope they won't ditch it against Ecuador tomorrow...

We should have brought in Eddie Johnson toward the end of the game and shocked the world. I'm still impressed though. It was cool watching Times Square stop and watch the game:)

If the U.S. and Italy win on Thursday, we go to the next round...to face Brazil

Krix, are you still in Germany? I think you said you were going to the Poland Equador game which was today. How was it? Is the country going nuts with Germany's play. I am getting feelings of 1998 when France dominated on their home soil. Keep the updates coming. THANKS

I'm excited about this game. The coach has said he plans an offensive attack on Ghana starting at the beginning, which will make the game REALLY spiced up. Remember, if the U.S. can somehow win by FIVE, we go to the next round regardless of what happens in the Italy game. But I predict the U.S. and Italy going to the next round. I also predict Australia shocking Italy in the elimination game (remember, Hidink is coach). And IF the U.S. were to beat Brazil, it'd be the biggest shocker and victory in American sports...

First things first...win tomorrow morning's match. Me and 20 of my closest friends will be parading through downtown if we advance B)

I'm excited about this game. The coach has said he plans an offensive attack on Ghana starting at the beginning, which will make the game REALLY spiced up. Remember, if the U.S. can somehow win by FIVE, we go to the next round regardless of what happens in the Italy game. But I predict the U.S. and Italy going to the next round. I also predict Australia shocking Italy in the elimination game (remember, Hidink is coach). And IF the U.S. were to beat Brazil, it'd be the biggest shocker and victory in American sports...

First things first...win tomorrow morning's match. Me and 20 of my closest friends will be parading through downtown if we advance B)

We don't know yet if Italy-Australia is gonna happen. Yes, Hiddink is a cool guy, and the Italians could do the mistake of underestimating them.

Yeah, good luck on the US game. I don't think they will win by five though. But it will be a truly exciting game! If Brazil was to be sent home in the second round, there would be riots, the President himself would slap Ronaldo's overweight belly, no this can't happen LOL...

Trophy Property, yes I wish somebody would slip me a ticket to the finals, but ain't gonna happen, soon I'm headed to Japan & Korea anyhow, then I'll have to get up in the middle of the night to watch the games :( ...

We don't know yet if Italy-Australia is gonna happen. Yes, Hiddink is a cool guy, and the Italians could do the mistake of underestimating them.

:) Oye Oye Oye:) I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Australia will shock Croatia with a win or tie tomorrow.

Yeah, good luck on the US game. I don't think they will win by five though. But it will be a truly exciting game! If Brazil was to be sent home in the second round, there would be riots, the President himself would slap Ronaldo's overweight belly, no this can't happen LOL...

The Brazilian coach would get fired before he left the field if that were to come true :lol:

:) Oye Oye Oye:) I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Australia will shock Croatia with a win or tie tomorrow.

The Brazilian coach would get fired before he left the field if that were to come true :lol:

Well now we know USA is out. I am rooting for Ghana vs. Brazil bigtime. I like those guys. They are scrappy as hell.

I am also rooting hard for Portugal since I was there for the Euro Cup and fell in love with the culture, people, and LADIES.

Well, as Klinsmann said: Now the World Cup really begins! The knock out stage, elimination phase or what have you... This is the bracket (the team that was the first team in its group is first):

I. Germany - Sweden

My bet for the quarter final: Germany - Argentina

II. Argentina - Mexico

My favorite semi final: Germany - Italy

III. Italy - Australia

My bet for the quarter final: Italy -Switzerland

IV. Switzerland - Ukraine

---

V. England - Ecuador

My bet for the quarter final: England - Portugal

VI. Portugal - Netherlands

My favorite semi final: Portgual - Brazil

VII. Brazil - Ghana

My bet for the quarter final: Brazil - Spain

VIII. Spain - France

Many of the games from round 2 appear overly predictable, although IV. and VI. appear to be quite even handed. So the dream final would of course be GERMANY-BRAZIL, but first Germany has to beat Argentina and then most probably Italy, which will be quite hard. So in a sense, DJ, it would be good if there was a surprise upset by Australia, since Germany usually does better against technically weaker teams (it is a classic "tournament team", so to speak). Please feel free to create your own favorite world cup bracket LOL....

Another funny thing I heard about the unlucky Koreans (who weren't allowed to play in red, and I couldn't see it since only the boooooring France game was shown on free TV), if they had advanced to round 2, the players would have been exempted from the draft. Now instead of playing Spain, they'll have to play North Korea :P

Krix, I agree 100% with your picks. I am dying for a England / Portugal re-match. I saw them play in Lisbon for the Euro Cup in 2004 and the place was electric. That was the game Rooney hurt himself and was out for much of the game. We had more England fans around us then Portuguese. After the game the streets went wild.

I would also love to see Spain beat Brazil and set up a match with Portugal (assuming they win the next two). Spain has not lost an international match since Portugal beat them in the Euro Cup in 2004. I did not attend that game, but I got hammered on the streets of Lagos (Portugal) with all the locals after the game.

Quick side story. Two of my friends were in Lisbon and hit that same Spain/Portugal game. They managed to drink 5-6 beers apiece at the game and as they put it "got hammered." 4 days later those same two guys and the rest of our crew were in line to get brews at the Portugal / England game when one of us noticed that the beer they were selling was N/A (no alcohol). The lines were trememdous so we thought this odd. WE asked around and we were correct. Beer sales were banned, but they still sold near beer. We were not really that suprised, but we thought back to our friends who had "gotten hammered" 4 nights earlier. We laid into them for being 1) idiots and 2) for being lightweights. :lol:

Archived