JFK spent his last night on earth in the Rice Hotel in Houston. Does anyone know what that room is used for now that the Rice has been converted to lofts? Does someone live in it, is it a museum or a storage closet?

not much to go on (and nothing too detailed), but this site mentions it:

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/haunthouston.html

The room in which John F. Kennedy spent his last night on Earth has been home to cold spots, rattling doors & beds as well as balls of light. Perhaps the ghost of the late President is making himself known. Ghost dancers have been seen in the ballroom, and one of our own team members saw a lady in white pacing where the balcony USED to be.

and here's a picture of the room:

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=galle...=houston:131181

• Like 1

not much to go on (and nothing too detailed), but this site mentions it:

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/haunthouston.html

The room in which John F. Kennedy spent his last night on Earth has been home to cold spots, rattling doors & beds as well as balls of light. Perhaps the ghost of the late President is making himself known. Ghost dancers have been seen in the ballroom, and one of our own team members saw a lady in white pacing where the balcony USED to be.

and here's a picture of the room:

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=galle...=houston:131181

JFK used the International Suite on the 5th floor of the Rice to change clothes and rest before going to the Coliseum.

He spent his last night in Rm. 850 of the Texas Hotel in Ft. Worth.

• Like 1

JFK used the International Suite on the 5th floor of the Rice to change clothes and rest before going to the Coliseum.

He spent his last night in Rm. 850 of the Texas Hotel in Ft. Worth.

That's correct...spoke to hundreds at a Breakfast in the Hotel Ballroom, and then went outside to speak to the crowd there in what is now Sundance Square. His last speech. He and Jackie flew to Dallas, where as we all know, he was shot before he made it to the luncheon at the Trade Mart.

• Like 1

family history has it that JFK spoke here(sorry, I don't remember,was an infant) and then left for Dallas. Cut to early 2000's, was looking at apts in the Rice Lofts-I was shown an apt on the 13th floor(!) and it had a plaque on the inside of the door naming it the JFK Suite-the last place that he spent the night here. The rental agent said that they were not renting it at the time as they were having "problems" with the AC(!!)

family history has it that JFK spoke here(sorry, I don't remember,was an infant) and then left for Dallas. Cut to early 2000's, was looking at apts in the Rice Lofts-I was shown an apt on the 13th floor(!) and it had a plaque on the inside of the door naming it the JFK Suite-the last place that he spent the night here. The rental agent said that they were not renting it at the time as they were having "problems" with the AC(!!)

See post #4...and welcome!

• 2 years later...

I was hoping maybe some folks who live/have lived in the Post Rice lofts would chime in on these questions. I've lived in the downtown area for the past couple years, but I'm thinking about moving into the Post Rice Lofts to be within walking distance from work. I'm in my mid 20s, and am very privy to the party nature of this party of downtown, and of the Lofts themselves, given the clientele they likely attract. I'm okay with this to a certain degree, but I'd like to know two things from folks who might know from experience. I've toured the units themselves, and they seem decent. Nothing fancy, the price tag is for the location.

I was out on Main Street this past Saturday night and it was absolutely, positively party-city. I mean loud. People shouting, cars banging bass, huge lines to get into the clubs, club music itself. This is all well and good, but I just can't imagine this wouldn't be loud as hell if you live in the building.

So my questions are:

1. How is the sound proofing from <excessive> street noise such as partying? I know there will be some street noise; such is living downtown. But I want to know if the Friday/Saturday night madness becomes cumbersome.

2. How is the sound proofing from unit to unit?

Any other general comments about the experience of either being in, or living in the place are welcome. I've read all the comments on apartmentratings.com, and have looked at a 500-something sqft 1br unit on the 6th floor of the building, which I'm considering leasing.

Thanks much in advance!

So my questions are:

1. How is the sound proofing from <excessive> street noise such as partying? I know there will be some street noise; such is living downtown. But I want to know if the Friday/Saturday night madness becomes cumbersome.

2. How is the sound proofing from unit to unit?

Any other general comments about the experience of either being in, or living in the place are welcome. I've read all the comments on apartmentratings.com, and have looked at a 500-something sqft 1br unit on the 6th floor of the building, which I'm considering leasing.

Thanks much in advance!

i lived there from 1999-2001 on the north side of the 13th floor. the noise from the street was pretty loud, especially from clubs late on friday night,

but the air conditioner usually camouflaged it enough for me.

i never had any problems unit to unit - it might be that i had quiet neighbors. however, i lived near the trash chute and i could hear when people opened the door to drop in their garbage.

i didnt like sharing the washing machines and on the weekends I would have to go to different floors to try to find a free machine.

all in all my experience was good. i would do it again if i could.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ben & Jerry's is having a free scoop day today between 12:00 and 8:00. I just walked over to get my scoop and they have closed up. How will I ever satisfy my ice cream craving now? :(

That's all we need, another vacant storefront. :mellow:

http://www.benjerry.com/scoop-shops/feature/free-cone-day/

Edited by rsb320

• 2 years later...

I can't see any smoke, but all these units have been dispatched.

TEXAS BLK MAIN 493L 05/03/2011 15:47 Highrise on Fire 1 E009, E017, D008, SF027, SQ009, D019, E508, E007, E008, E019, L019

Edited by rsb320

No. They're right in front of the Rice. They've even got southbound Main blocked off at Prairie. The train is still running, though. Thank goodness, I'm getting ready to hop on it.

Probably just a smoke alarm or something. Certain types of buildings get a huge response, whether it's burned toast, or six floors on fire.

I had a fireman tell me one time that if there is nothing else going on dispatchers will send all the locally available units out regardless of the reported size of the fire. A few years ago we had three trucks show up to a small trailer filled with remodeling debris next door. They put it out with fire extinguishers. I guess the thought is you never know how bad it can be or could get so better to send too much than too little.

I had a fireman tell me one time that if there is nothing else going on dispatchers will send all the locally available units out regardless of the reported size of the fire. A few years ago we had three trucks show up to a small trailer filled with remodeling debris next door. They put it out with fire extinguishers. I guess the thought is you never know how bad it can be or could get so better to send too much than too little.

I'm not totally against this, but my issue would be their ability to get rolling to an area that was stripped of equipment once they were dispatched someplace.

Then again, if its obvious it is a small fire, maybe one of the engines can just sit there and help out the other trucks instead of unpacking their own.

When dealing with a fire in downtown, however, you can deal with so much stuff, so that part is understandable.

Then again, if its obvious it is a small fire, maybe one of the engines can just sit there and help out the other trucks instead of unpacking their own.

That's basically what happened at the fire next door. Most of the firemen milled around while a couple used the fire extinguishers. Since they were all suited up and ready to go, I suppose if another call came in they could respond as fast or faster than if they were at the station.

For the city of Houston all 911 calls are received by civilian call takers who determine the emergency, input basic information, then route the information to either HFD or HPD where the call is finally dispatched.

HPD dispatches calls by placing low priority calls in a que for available officers to select from on their mobile computer. High priority calls are automatically assigned. If no one has taken a low priority call after a certain amount of time, it is automatically assigned to the closest available officer.

HFD dispatches using an established algorithm designed to send the most appropriate units immediately. E.g. Ambulance and Fire Truck to a chest pain call, or a pre-determined number of fire trucks to a fire. Dispatchers can only add additional units if a near by unit requests to be added, if they get updated notes from the 911 caller, or if at the incident the officer requests more resources.

HFD doesn't get to pick and choose low priority calls. If you call for an ambulance for a heart attack or a stubbed toe, they will come immediately with lights and sirens every time.

Edited by Jeebus

This is not unusual. HFD, or pretty much any large fire department, will dispatch what is known as a "box alarm" for anything that implies a building may be on fire, e.g., "smoke in the building" qualifies (usually these turn out to be things like burned food on the stove). A box alarm ("1 alarm fire") consists of numerous pieces of apparatus. I don't know the HFD dispatch protocol off hand but it's probably something like 4 engines, a ladder truck, ambulance and district chief. If it's a "high rise" building then even more apparatus will be dispatched. Most of these calls turn out to be nothing and the units are quickly placed back in service.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Communication has been poor. I learned about the sale via the Houston Chronicle. A letter in the mail or an email would have been better. The new manager comes from Austin. The property she last managed has positive reviews about the property itself but negative reviews about the management. The notice I did get about the new owner was poorly written. On one page it says to make payments out to The Rice. The Rice underlined for emphasis. On the next page it says to make payments out to CH Realty/MF Houston Rice VI, LP. Seems like there is no online payment of rent available. No online capabilities at all for that matter.

Communication has been poor. I learned about the sale via the Houston Chronicle. A letter in the mail or an email would have been better. The new manager comes from Austin. The property she last managed has positive reviews about the property itself but negative reviews about the management. The notice I did get about the new owner was poorly written. On one page it says to make payments out to The Rice. The Rice underlined for emphasis. On the next page it says to make payments out to CH Realty/MF Houston Rice VI, LP. Seems like there is no online payment of rent available. No online capabilities at all for that matter.

"The Rice"? For some reason, that sounds worse than "Post Rice Lofts".

ugh. I can imagine the scene now! A group of knuckleheads in a room filled with crumbled up paper with name ideas.

Knucklehead Eins: "Guy's we been at this for hours. Y we no have name yet!"

Knucklehead Zwei: "Idea! Might be a risk, but....what if we just keep the old name???"

Knuckleheads: "YOU FOOL!" *everyone throws papers*

Knucklehead Drei: "STFU everyone! I know. How about "The Rice"???"

Knuckleheads: *all let out uhhh's and ahhhh's*

*sigh* -.-