7 minutes ago, Texasota said:

boo

Regardless, I get the impression Cafe Mamajuana puts more emphasis on providing a club+party atmosphere than food. My impressions is based off some of the reviews and the way the locations are promoted on Instagram and Tik Tok.

Still, I think it's possible this will be a lively spot, especially on the weekends. It will be good to see this space open again. I look forward to seeing the transformation for the restaurant.

• The title was changed to Rice Hotel At 909 Texas Ave.
On 8/29/2022 at 10:09 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Mamajuana Cafe is opening at the Rice. It's taking over the ground floor retail space at 909 Texas Avenue, Suite E. Local Japanese restaurant Azuma was the last occupant.

Mamajuana Cafe is an East Coast-based restaurant serving Latin and Nuevo Latino fare. Locations are mainly in New York and New Jersey. 

Looking at the Instagram pages of their different locations, it seems this is more of a spot for hookah and partying than dining.

https://mamajuana-cafe.com
https://www.instagram.com/mamajuanacafehouston

BuiltNearby posted a photo of Mamajuana Cafe to its Instagram Story today. I don't know how recent the photo is, but it's a shot outside the restaurant.

According to a banner hanging outside, Mamajuana Cafe, the restaurant's grand opening is August.

Mamajuana Cafe is an East Coast-based restaurant serving Latin and Nuevo Latino fare. I think it's a supper-club or vibe dining type of dining concept. The restaurant is located on the ground level of The Rice at 909 Texas Ave, Suite E.

lKmvJjul.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

BuiltNearby posted a photo of Mamajuana Cafe to its Instagram Story today. I don't know how recent the photo is, but it's a shot outside the restaurant.

According to a banner hanging outside, Mamajuana Cafe, the restaurant's grand opening is August.

Mamajuana Cafe is an East Coast-based restaurant serving Latin and Nuevo Latino fare. I think it's a supper-club or vibe dining type of dining concept. The restaurant is located on the ground level of The Rice at 909 Texas Ave, Suite E.

I walked right by that an hour ago and didn't even notice!

Maybe I keep averting my eyes because I'm in mourning for the coffee shop with good fare and no seating.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, editor said:

I'm in mourning for the coffee shop with good fare and no seating.

Their drip coffee was the best downtown.

Starbucks seems either burnt or sour these days, Boomtown's tastes like they ground up Starbuck's used filters and dripped through them.  Covid shutdowns killed Dunkin, and I can't keep track of who else is downtown.  These people are going to make me a coffee thermos snob. 

On 7/14/2023 at 11:14 AM, editor said:

Maybe I keep averting my eyes because I'm in mourning for the coffee shop with good fare and no seating.

campesino coffee house #2 on Prairie a few blocks over is really good. Sad about Minuti coffee (at least the Midtown location is still open). 

Hope Mamajuana Cafe does well! I'll support anything that will bring night and weekend visitors to DT!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

campesino coffee house #2 on Prairie a few blocks over is really good. Sad about Minuti coffee (at least the Midtown location is still open). 

Hope Mamajuana Cafe does well! I'll support anything that will bring night and weekend visitors to DT!

I didn't know about Campesino.  I thought that block was all the cathedral's property.  Is the entrance under the metal awning?

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 3.23.00 PM.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Starbucks seems either burnt or sour these days, Boomtown's tastes like they ground up Starbuck's used filters and dripped through them.  Covid shutdowns killed Dunkin, and I can't keep track of who else is downtown.  These people are going to make me a coffee thermos snob. 

I've known folks who claim that Starbucks has always tasted burnt, and typically refer to it as "Charbucks".  I'm fairly agnostic about their coffee - although I've never been on board with the cult that sprang up around them, there's certainly worse coffee to be had, and sometimes their convenience and ubiquity trumps all other considerations.  

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

I've known folks who claim that Starbucks has always tasted burnt, and typically refer to it as "Charbucks".  I'm fairly agnostic about their coffee - although I've never been on board with the cult that sprang up around them, there's certainly worse coffee to be had, and sometimes their convenience and ubiquity trumps all other considerations.  

The "burned" cliche grew out of people who were used to drinking coffee not being used to espresso. 

When Starbucks became popular, most  people were used to Dunkin' Dishwater, and Taster's Choice. 

My problem with Starbucks these days is that it all tastes so sugary. I'll get one as a treat, but my go-tos these days are Three Valves, Fifth Vessel, and Day Six. 

15 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Tend to agree, though for drip coffee these days, Dunkin or even McDonalds seem to do a better or at least more consistent job. To indulge off topic for a bit longer (though coffee is foundational to any downtown, I would say), I find the taste of Starbucks drip coffee to be all over the map, but I have had a bad run lately. Maybe the opening crew of the store I've been going to skipped some training or something. Their "dark roast" seems to be mercilessly overpowered by the roasting, it's the IPA of coffee.  I miss the old Yukon and Breakfast Blend.

Edited by Nate99

21 hours ago, editor said:

The "burned" cliche grew out of people who were used to drinking coffee not being used to espresso. 

When Starbucks became popular, most  people were used to Dunkin' Dishwater, and Taster's Choice. 

No doubt in the pre-Starbucks era the bar was pretty low for coffee, just like before the craft beer movement took hold most Americans' frame of reference was defined by Budweiser and Miller Lite.  I will say that the guy I've known to have most consistently complained about Sbux tasting burned over the years is European, and quite used to espresso.

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Tend to agree, though for drip coffee these days, Dunkin or even McDonalds seem to do a better or at least more consistent job. To indulge off topic for a bit longer (though coffee is foundational to any downtown, I would say), I find the taste of Starbucks drip coffee to be all over the map, but I have had a bad run lately. Maybe the opening crew of the store I've been going to skipped some training or something. Their "dark roast" seems to be mercilessly overpowered by the roasting, it's the IPA of coffee.  I miss the old Yukon and Breakfast Blend.

On the infrequent occasions I go there, I rarely get anything but a flat white or a cappuccino, but I had to laugh at "the IPA of coffee".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

No doubt in the pre-Starbucks era the bar was pretty low for coffee, just like before the craft beer movement took hold most Americans' frame of reference was defined by Budweiser and Miller Lite.  I will say that the guy I've known to have most consistently complained about Sbux tasting burned over the years is European, and quite used to espresso.

It's always funny how Europeans complain about American chain restaurants but the ones in Europe are always packed, especially in non-tourist towns.

I think the only place where there was any real backlash against Starbucks was in Vienna, but even there after all the talk about kicking Starbucks out of the country, it still survives and thrives in Austria. 

The times I've gone to Starbucks in Vienna or Berlin or Frankfurt, there wasn't a single person speaking English.  Ditto for T.G.I. Friday's.  Europeans just like to complain about stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 1:09 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Mamajuana Cafe is opening at the Rice. It's taking over the ground floor retail space at 909 Texas Avenue, Suite E. Local Japanese restaurant Azuma was the last occupant.

Mamajuana Cafe is an East Coast-based restaurant serving Latin and Nuevo Latino fare. Locations are mainly in New York and New Jersey. 

Looking at the Instagram pages of their different locations, it seems this is more of a spot for hookah and partying than dining.

https://mamajuana-cafe.com
https://www.instagram.com/mamajuanacafehouston

On 10/13/2022 at 12:31 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

More on Mamajuna Cafe leasing the ground floor unit at the Rice; 909 Texas Ave, Ste E. A blurb about it in today's Houston Chronicle:

"Mamajuana Café leased 4,435 square feet at The Rice, at 909 Texas Ave., in downtown Houston, for its first Texas location. Mamajuana Café has nine locations nationwide. Eric Rozelle of Chodrow Realty Advisors represented the tenant. Katherine Wildman and Bunny McLeod of Wulfe & Co. represented the landlord."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Retail-wrap-Gatsby-s-Fine-Seafood-debuts-in-17500319.php

Mamajuana Cafe officially opens to the public this week. It's located at 909 Texas Avenue, Suite E at The Rice.

Houston Chronicle reports on a speakeasy feature within the restaurant. Here's more from last week's article:

The 170-seat space will also include a speakeasy bar hidden behind a large painting of El Campesino, which depicts farmers of the Dominican Republic. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/mamajuana-cafe-houston-downtown-opening-18410557.php

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to The Rice: Apartents At 909 Texas Ave.