Ahhh didn't know about the Alvin development. yes, after I posted I honestly thought, OK Marcus, what attracted you the most ( besides the new landscaping) the larger or smaller animals? Honestly, the African zone was my favorite. So, I guess I just wanted to see them in a more open habitat.

• Like 1

I have only been to the Houston Zoo once since it became private, other then that I went several times as a child in the 80's-90's. I was in awe as a child, then depressed going to zoos as I got older. This includes Dallas, St Louis, and DC zoos. The only zoo i have been to where it felt natural, the animals appeared happy, and it was a completely enjoyable experience was the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. The night zoo in Singapore also wasn't bad, but it was hard to tell exactly what was going on with the animals. Anyways, though I find it unfortunate how many of the animals are treated I am sure I will take my kids to the Houston Zoo (when I have some to take!).

I understand the flow of Hermann Park and the open feel. But what if a garage was built across Hermann Park Dr, there is a surface there in front of the Conservancy. Even  a 2 story garage with rooftop parking that has greenery/vines on the walls would effectively triple the size of that lot and they could convert most of the Zoo lot to expand the actual zoo?

I understand the flow of Hermann Park and the open feel. But what if a garage was built across Hermann Park Dr, there is a surface there in front of the Conservancy. Even a 2 story garage with rooftop parking that has greenery/vines on the walls would effectively triple the size of that lot and they could convert most of the Zoo lot to expand the actual zoo?

This is exactly what I've been advocating! Glad were on the same page.. The zoo could use the other 4 or so large surface lots on the west of Hermann Park Dr to expand the zoo to the northeast another 20 or so acres so that those animals can wander around more freely, like many of us desire.

The zoo does seem small , I would go by it to and fro appointments . It could use some extra room . I've been to the zoo in San Diego and like Houston has a miniature train but the difference is the zoo is huge and the train runs all through the zoo for quick and easy viewing . Hermann is room for expansion . Another Idea that would be possible is to remove or shrink the golf course by a few acres away from MacGregor street and from the walking trail.The thought of those flying balls passing trees that suppose to deflect them and knocking out the windows of passing vehicles and people jogging and walking on the asphalt trail being hit by them . That would really create some expansion room . 

That way, we could move the golf course off of Hermann Park and open all that area up to redevelopment, some zoo parking [and then of course use the original parking to make more zoo, as discussed], some fields to play frisbee or whatever. Perhaps another "bark park" to keep the dogs off the area.

now theres an idea! or even use a portion of the former golf course for those Botanical Gardens the city wants to build.

So yes, I like the idea of expanding the zoo, and I can summarize all my ideas as such, and my ideas could improve the park. It'd take some money and some coordinating planning, but I think this idea will suit everyone, including new traffic patterns:

1) Redevelop the National Guard Facilities at Bertner and OST as a new vertical commercial building. As part of this project, the Kroger will be expanded and renovated (at least renovated). The new tenants of this redeveloped building are moved from the McGovern Campus (old Nabisco plant).

2) Convert the Nabisco plant back into industrial by having tenants move out between Hepburn and OST (roughly). Start by assembling the vacant tracts that are there and close off roads. This will be a new golf course when all is said and done and may encourage new residential development there (already some there)

3) After the golf course is built, the old golf course is abandoned. Optionally, we'll tackle closing MacGregor where it runs through the park, but it still carries a significant amount of traffic, including to the Medical Center. Holcombe, Almeda, and Cambridge will be upgraded in preparation for the closure, including new surfaces, better stoplights, more lanes, parking even.

4) In part of the abandoned golf course area, Hermann Drive will connect to MacGregor instead of intersecting Almeda and dead-ending at the 288 frontage road. That way, you could go directly to Hermann by exiting the 288 frontage road and helping traffic flow.

5) Close MacGregor between Almeda and Cambridge permanently. The pavement doesn't have to be totally removed, at least, not yet. Rename MacGregor between Cambridge and Holcombe as Braeswood.

6) But if we don't want to close MacGregor on expense issues (FWIW, there is a pedestrian underpass), it still doesn't matter for our other plans.

7) Extend Concert Trail to Hermann Drive. What's north of that will become new surface lots. The old surface lots become a zoo expansion, and what's south of that is developed as park space, mostly open lawns and a dog park. Perhaps even a municipal pool. It's a ton of space, and it could be better utilized.

• 3 years later...

A construction photo of Houston Zoo's forthcoming Texas Wetlands exhibit, from Saturday, 3/24/18:

IMG_5108.JPG

^Cypress Circle cafe has been gutted...  Will be neat to see how this structure will be re-imagined again.

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gee icky...are the animals and/or plants not represented accurately.  Is it because most Texas Wetland's don't have a café attached to them or stabilized shorelines.  Or, is it the TMC looming large over the background.   What's the issue and what were you expecting?  I haven't yet seen it, I'd like to know. 

• 4 weeks later...

@Urbannizer @Triton and other mods. With how wide spread and significant the renovations are to the Houston Zoo and how big the zoo is to the city, don't y'all think this should be part of some kind of Houston Zoo super thread and placed on "Going Up" in similar vain to my reason for putting the Rothko Renovations/Campus on "Going Up". Thoughts?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Avian Conservation Center could be starting soon.

This was from HBJ:

Tellepsen Builders commercial construction 6200 Hermann Park Dr. #BA-G Houston 77030 Houston Zoo (bird aviary-holding area and aviary)   300000 2019-07-11 City of Houston Commercial

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Texas Wetlands exhibit opened earlier this year at the Houston Zoo...  (May be worth an Admin merging that 'Wetlands' exhibit thread into this one, somehow.)

Found some high-res images of the forthcoming 'South America's Pantanal' (opening next year) and 'Galapagos Islands' exhibits (opening in 2022) at a designer's website.  Scroll down a bit, here, for those:

http://www.studio-hansonroberts.com/on-the-boards

• Like 2

I always thought it would be smart to make the golf course a 9 hole one and turn the other 9 holes into an expansion to the zoo they could have even built a nice pedestrian bridge over the road to connect the old part of the zoo to the new.

Edited by cougarpad
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

I always thought it would be smart to make the golf course a 9 hole one and turn the other 9 holes into an expansion to the zoo they could have even built a nice pedestrian bridge over the road to connect the old part of the zoo to the new.

The golf course doesn't bring in more revenue to the park then the zoo does. Plus you can make more open habitats for the African animals.

Edited by cougarpad

7 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Love the idea, Cougarpad ...golf has been over emphasized in CoH parks with the end result being  to crowd much larger numbers of park goers into a small fraction of the overall park area. I would hate to think the Park Board members emphasize THOSE activities that they themselves prefer to use rather than what the majority of taxpayers actually use.

The golf course at Hermann Park has been there since the 1920's, as long as the Zoo has existed. It isn't crowding out anyone, and is popular, especially with folks who can't afford the higher end courses.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, Ross said:

The golf course at Hermann Park has been there since the 1920's, as long as the Zoo has existed. It isn't crowding out anyone, and is popular, especially with folks who can't afford the higher end courses.

I didn't know you were so into historic preservation. I say let the market determine things. The zoo gets 2.5 million visitors a year and is crowded onto 55 acres. How many visitors does the golf course get?

• Like 1