Inverness Townhomes At 800 Post Oak Blvd.

This was never a 50-story building. Why does this keep getting repeated??? 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/05/new-pac-opposes-transit-plan-on-post-oak-boulevard.html?page=all

Edit: I said this tower but I meant the one at Post Oak and San Felipe. Just another one of amREIT's properties. Still begs the question what will happen to the PAC.

Edited by Triton

Swtsig--I think way have crossed the streams Ghostbusters style and confused this thread with the one regarding the structure to be built at San Felipe and Post Oak. Looking at my post above, that's what happened to me.

That's exactly what happened. Lol Sorry about that swtsig. :)

• Like 2

It's still a 40-story building. I expect the PAC to hang around. Will the Cosmopolitan residents seek an injunction? All it takes is one person to file a suit.

I guess it only takes one judge to justify such a frivolous lawsuit.

If the NIMBY's are going to insist on zoning by lawsuit, it's time to put zoning back on the ballot. Otherwise, this is the city you all wanted - unregulated and proud of it. All the lawsuits should be thrown out for lack of cause.

Edit: I said this tower but I meant the one at Post Oak and San Felipe. Just another one of amREIT's properties. Still begs the question what will happen to the PAC.

It's confusing, I know. There are just so many rumored projects, and a lot of them seem to overlap. I still don't know if Crow's deal with AmREIT replaces the other Crow proposal.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/11/amreit-updates-development-plans-for-uptown-park/

800 Post Oak: AmREIT owns a 20.3 percent interest in the Inverness Townhomes and has entered into an agreement with Trammell Crow Co. to develop 591,000 square feet of office space and 19,000 square feet of retail space with parking. The site is about 2.9 acres and is located at the northwest corner of Post Oak Boulevard and Uptown Park Boulevard. Trammell Crow’s longtime partner, Principal Financial Group, will be a key investor. The more than $280 million project could begin within the next 15 months.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is that from a source or just a hunch?

My source is common sense.  Stock prices across the energy spectrum are getting crushed (with many down 25-30% last Friday alone).  A lot of the growth of the E&P and midstream sectors have been possible by the issuance of high yield debt.  That market is completely dried up - not only is there not any availability for new issuance, but there is limited liquidity for buyers of that debt.  Borrowing base re-determinations are going to happen at year-end and many companies' liquidity is going to be reigned in.  Cash flow is going to nose dive.  The last thing any E&P or midstream company wants to do right now is expand its workforce and acquire more office space. The Houston metro has been flooded with new office space and even more is under construction.

There is virtually no chance of this project going forward unless it is funded by really dumb money.  No way TC puts its own money behind this deal.  

• Like 1

My source is common sense.  Stock prices across the energy spectrum are getting crushed (with many down 25-30% last Friday alone).  A lot of the growth of the E&P and midstream sectors have been possible by the issuance of high yield debt.  That market is completely dried up - not only is there not any availability for new issuance, but there is limited liquidity for buyers of that debt.  Borrowing base re-determinations are going to happen at year-end and many companies' liquidity is going to be reigned in.  Cash flow is going to nose dive.  The last thing any E&P or midstream company wants to do right now is expand its workforce and acquire more office space. The Houston metro has been flooded with new office space and even more is under construction.

There is virtually no chance of this project going forward unless it is funded by really dumb money.  No way TC puts its own money behind this deal.  

Probably.  However, people talking about this current downward dip in oil prices aren't abandoning ship just yet.  We don't know how low, or for how long, but we do know that eventually prices will stabilize.  Of course new office towers are usually the first to get cut when things take a dip.

I'd bet if TC needs to postpone this building they will, but I'd be surprised if it gets cancelled all together.

Besides starting construction now it will take a year and a half to get it completed.  That's middle of 2016, maybe closer to 2017.  Remember 2 years ago?  2012 wasn't exactly a banner year for Houston construction.

But yeah, this thing is probably going to be pushed back.  Same with a few downtown office towers (think we can kiss old Stream/Essex tower goodbye).

Edited by arche_757

But yeah, this thing is probably going to be pushed back.  Same with a few downtown office towers (think we can kiss old Stream/Essex tower goodbye).

Along with that glitzy multi-tower project proposed for Dallas. There ain't NO WAY that gets built in its entirety. If it does, I shall eat a skyscraper.

Along with that glitzy multi-tower project proposed for Dallas. There ain't NO WAY that gets built in its entirety. If it does, I shall eat a skyscraper.

I don't know how much of Dallas' market is driven by oil prices... but the fact something that scale even got mentioned considering their fairly weak Downtown office market, well it says a lot about the developer.

I'd bet this building just gets pushed back a few quarters.

Developers sometimes get a long-term approach that you don't see for corporate built-to-suit. Remember when BG Group tower was built? Right in the thick of the big recession, and Hines did not delay the project. Many people thought that tower would sit empty for a long time. Similar thing for the Hess tower.

• Like 2

Developers sometimes get a long-term approach that you don't see for corporate built-to-suit. Remember when BG Group tower was built? Right in the thick of the big recession, and Hines did not delay the project. Many people thought that tower would sit empty for a long time. Similar thing for the Hess tower.

Right.  I'd suspect it may get delayed, but who knows who/what Trammell Crow is marketing this building to?

I'll say that *IF* prices stay low for the next few years places like Uptown and Downtown should be ok - the Westchase and Energy Corridor areas will not be ok.