East Blocks: 10-Block Mixed-Use Redevelopment in EaDo

texan

I just checked TDLR and didn't find any filings by Pagewood or Wile yet.

Existing businesss "8th Wonder Brewery and Pitch 25, one of Houston’s urban beer garden concepts, are the first retail tenants at East Blocks."

2120 Walker St. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VYFCDH7Mi6kZy87R8

2202 Dallas St. https://maps.app.goo.gl/NgAkDb3pgzdAevKv8

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texan said:

Pagewood and Wile Interests plan to redevelop 10 blocks in EaDo into a mixed use development, including many Houston favorites.
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/11/13/pagewood-wile-interests-develop-east-blocks-eado.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

I was wondering where East Blocks is located and what is entails. I noticed trademark filings for this over the summer, but no further details were available online at the time:

Thanks for posting, @texan.  

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

East Bock is several different properties.

https://pagewood.com/properties

4lamS3t.png

1lPNp0I.png

1P8W2u7.png

QENRgoy.png

RR7GhLl.png

Qvqy2OA.png

@hindesky are you sure? I know those properties are listed as East Blocks on Pagewood's website, but most are located in Second Ward and Near Northside. Also, those properties were previously listed for sale as recent as this summer (link to an archive page of the website from March and July.)

Houston Business Journal notes this from the press release:

Pagewood and Wile Interests have entered into a joint venture to redevelop several warehouses near the intersection of McKinney and Hutchins streets into a walkable district that will offer visitors a range of restaurants, shops, offices and green space. The development is slated to be called East Blocks, the companies said in a news release.

The article also reiterates East Blocks is located in EaDo / East Downtown. While people  - most notoriously real estate developers - often stretch neighborhood boundaries to include nearby areas, are we sure that's the case here?

Granted, the article mostly covers phase one in some detail, noting the entire development is "for a 10-block mixed-use redevelopment" in EaDo. However, it doesn't specify the properties phase one will entail. The same goes for other phases. Yet as @ChannelTwoNews notes from the photo's file description, some the properties for East Block, at least from the renderings published, include:

• 2215 McKinney St
  • 2105 McKinney St
  • 1005 Hutchins St
  • 908 Live Oak St
  • Like 1

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/east-downtown-houston-eado-mixed-use-project-18488768.php

"Houston's EaDo neighborhood is poised for further transformation, this time with a mixed-use development that will convert several blocks of midcentury warehouses into trendy restaurants, shops, offices and green spaces.

Houston real estate firms Pagewood and Wile Interests unveiled plans Monday for East Blocks, a project that spans 10 blocks, many along Hutchins from Walker to Polk, southwest of Shell Energy Stadium in East Downtown. East Blocks includes the existing 8th Wonder Brewery and the Pitch 25 "beer park." 

"East Blocks, a project that is 50 years in the making, will be a pedestrian-friendly hub full of chef-driven restaurants, unique retail boutiques, creative office space, and parks with art for the local community and those visiting downtown and the nearby stadiums to gather,” said Paul Coonrod, founder of Pagewood, in a statement."

• Like 4

East Blocks would be built in multiple phases over the next three years, starting with Phase One in the second quarter 2024, according to Pagewood. Designed by architecture firm Gensler, phase one redevelops half a million square feet, including 196,0000 square feet for retail and restaurants; 112,000 square feet for offices; and 650 parking spaces. Phase two will include more restaurants and retail.

• Like 9

@ChannelTwoNews notes the following properties are included in East Blocks. His conclusion is based off the file description from the renderings published in a Houston Business Journal article today (county records also back this up). Additionally, @DotCom includes more properties from the article. Those properties are home to the first retailers announced for East Blocks.

• 2215 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 2105 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 1005 Hutchins St (Block 201)
  • 908 Live Oak St (Block 248)
  • 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St

EaDo Redo I LLC is the property owner for those properties. As previously noted, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests.

Other possible East Block properties based on HCAD information: 

• 1115 Live Oak St (Block 487)
  • 2315 Polk St (Block 467)
  • 1107 Hutchins St (Block 463)
  • 0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)
  • 2208 McKinney St
  • Like 2

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/east-downtown-houston-eado-mixed-use-project-18488768.php#photo-24444325

"East Blocks would be built in multiple phases over the next three years, starting with Phase One in the second quarter 2024, according to Pagewood. Designed by architecture firm Gensler, phase one redevelops half a million square feet, including 196,0000 square feet for retail and restaurants; 112,000 square feet for offices; and 650 parking spaces. Phase two will include more restaurants and retail.

The adaptive reuse would convert former railways into four connected city blocks of green space. The existing Bastrop promenade would be improved to include room for events, farmer’s markets and fitness classes. An alley would connect three buildings along Hutchins and McKinney."

All looks good, but the former railways sentence is confusing. I am not aware of any former railway lines remaining on the EaDo side now the Walker line has been removed. On the Second Ward side, many remain. Only thing I can imagine is the few-block stretch of Velasco, which runs parallel to and ultimately dead-ends at the Columbia Tap trail. That is former RR ROW. 

Hutchins at Commerce, near the Dynamo stadium, is very much an active railroad line. It's where the UPRR Galv Sub and West Belt emerge from the UPRR Congress Yard. 

image.png.bf41dbe8b57e8d100bbe0f8f0eb93d55.png

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DotCom said:

I just checked TDLR and didn't find any filings by Pagewood or Wile yet.

Existing businesss "8th Wonder Brewery and Pitch 25, one of Houston’s urban beer garden concepts, are the first retail tenants at East Blocks."

2120 Walker St. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VYFCDH7Mi6kZy87R8

2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@hindesky are you sure? I know those properties are listed as East Blocks on Pagewood's website, but most are located in Second Ward and Near Northside. Also, those properties were previously listed for sale as recent as this summer (link to an archive page of the website from March and July.)

Houston Business Journal notes this from the press release:

Pagewood and Wile Interests have entered into a joint venture to redevelop several warehouses near the intersection of McKinney and Hutchins streets into a walkable district that will offer visitors a range of restaurants, shops, offices and green space. The development is slated to be called East Blocks, the companies said in a news release.

The article also reiterates East Blocks is located in EaDo / East Downtown. While people  - most notoriously real estate developers - often stretch neighborhood boundaries to include nearby areas, are we sure that's the case here?

Granted, the article mostly covers phase one in some detail, noting the entire development is "for a 10-block mixed-use redevelopment" in EaDo. However, it doesn't specify the properties phase one will entail. The same goes for other phases. Yet as @ChannelTwoNews notes from the photo's file description, some the properties for East Block, at least from the renderings published, include:

• 2215 McKinney St
  • 2105 McKinney St
  • 1005 Hutchins St
  • 908 Live Oak St

29 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@ChannelTwoNews notes the following properties are included in East Blocks. His conclusion is based off the file description from the renderings published in a Houston Business Journal article today (county records also back this up). Additionally, @DotCom includes more properties from the article. Those properties are home to the first retailers announced for East Blocks.

• 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St

EaDo Redo I LLC is the property owner for those properties. As previously noted, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests.

Other possible East Block properties based on HCAD information: 

• 0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)
  • 2208 McKinney St

Houston Chronicle notes this in their recent article on East Blocks:

The project's buildings are at 2105 McKinney, 2215 McKinney, 1005 Hutchins, 1107 Hutchins, 2202 Dallas, 2315 Polk Street, 908 Live Oak and 1115 Live Oak. Pagewood and Wiles bought the land from New York trust HBS Warehouse for an undisclosed price.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/east-downtown-houston-eado-mixed-use-project-18488768.php

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Houston Chronicle notes this in their recent article on East Blocks:

The project's buildings are at 2105 McKinney, 2215 McKinney, 1005 Hutchins, 1107 Hutchins, 2202 Dallas, 2315 Polk Street, 908 Live Oak and 1115 Live Oak. Pagewood and Wiles bought the land from New York trust HBS Warehouse for an undisclosed price.

2202 Dallas pops up as 8th Wonder for me. Is 8W moving? Closing? Being folded into this project?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

2202 Dallas pops up as 8th Wonder for me. Is 8W moving? Closing? Being folded into this project?

From an above post quoting the Houston Business Journal article today:

4 hours ago, DotCom said:

Existing businesses "8th Wonder Brewery and Pitch 25, one of Houston’s urban beer garden concepts, are the first retail tenants at East Blocks."

2120 Walker St. https://maps.app.goo.gl/VYFCDH7Mi6kZy87R8

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/11/13/pagewood-wile-interests-develop-east-blocks-eado.html

• Thanks 2

Great research everyone.  Here's a list of BUILDING addresses compiled from all sources thus far (this doesn't include the green space locations):

2120 Walker St. (Pitch 25 Beer Garden)

2202 Dallas St. (8th Wonder Brewery)

908 Live Oak (new office/food)

1115 Live Oak

1005 Hutchins (new office/retail/food)

1107 Hutchins

2105 McKinney (new office/food)

2215 McKinney (new parking garage/food)

2315 Polk Street

2208 McKinney St

0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DotCom said:

Great research everyone.  Here's a list of BUILDING addresses compiled from all sources thus far (this doesn't include the green space locations):

908 Live Oak (new office/food)

1115 Live Oak

1005 Hutchins (new office/retail/food)

1107 Hutchins

2105 McKinney (new office/food)

2215 McKinney (new parking garage/food)

2315 Polk Street

2208 McKinney St

0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)

I forgot to include the addresses and info on Pagewood's and Wile's websites.  Here's an updated list.

908 Live Oak (new or alteration? office/restaurant).  Existing 3 floor, 99,000 SF warehouse, current Magpies & Peacocks and Donkeeboy.

1115 Live Oak

1005 Hutchins (office/retail/restaurant)

1107 Hutchins

2105 McKinney (office/restaurant)

2215 McKinney (parking garage/restaurant)

2315 Polk Street

2208 McKinney St

1512 Gano

1505 Gentry

407 Velasco

110 Milby

10 N. Milby

1315 Palmer

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DotCom said:

I forgot to include the addresses and info on Pagewood's and Wile's websites.  Here's an updated list.

908 Live Oak (new or alteration? office/restaurant).  Existing 3 floor, 99,000 SF warehouse, current Magpies & Peacocks and Donkeeboy.

1115 Live Oak

1005 Hutchins (office/retail/restaurant)

1107 Hutchins

2105 McKinney (office/restaurant)

2215 McKinney (parking garage/restaurant)

2315 Polk Street

2208 McKinney St

1512 Gano

1505 Gentry

407 Velasco

110 Milby

10 N. Milby

1315 Palmer

Be mindful the Gano and Gentry addresses are in Near Northside, while the Milby ones are across the tracks in Second Ward. Unless this project is more transformative than I imagine, they may not be included in the East Blocks development. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 4:07 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Here are the renderings from the article. 

4XUYGLM.jpg

east-blocks-on-the-street.jpg

east-blocks-on-the-street-2.jpg

Based on the file names for the photos that were uploaded, we can figure out some of the proposed locations of some of the structures.

908 Live Oak

G5KE89P.png

UvgAC7u.jpg

TCdngcd.jpg

1005 Hutchins

R39ZPqD.jpg

AeGICTb.jpg

ZdhzpYa.jpg

2105 McKinney

RqOBmeJ.jpg

2215 McKinney Parking Garage

W1UnXeD.jpg

Below is another rendering of East Blocks. It appears this may be another view perspective of 1005 Hutchins St. 

The rendering is included in Pagewood's recent Instagram post.

As mentioned, East Blocks is a joint venture from Pagewood and Wile Interests. The East Downtown / EaDo development includes the following:

• 2208 McKinney St (Block 202)
  • 2120 Walker St
  • 2202 Dallas St
  • 0 McKinney St parcel (hard corner of McKinney St and St. Charles St; next to 915 St Charles)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzoZKxKgQ92

SyLNjsY.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

There are several registered web domains related to the East Blocks development. I don't know which one will be the official website.

Also, there are two Instagram accounts for East Blocks. None of the accounts have posts or a bio. As with the web domains, I'm unsure which one East Blocks will decide to use.

Web domains:

Instagram:

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, hindesky said:

a project that is 50 years in the making

I'm not sure they should be so proud that it took them a half a century to renovate a cluster of warehouses.  And it isn't even done yet.  It's not like they're digging a tunnel through the Himalayas, or putting a bridge across to Cuba.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

This will be a game changer for East Downtown for sure. Many of the residents have been staring at those unused warehouses with the promise of development for far too long, myself included.

I am curious if the other phases of the project will include residential of some sort. Both Alliance Residential and Urban Genesis are building multi-family within walking distance of East Blocks. There appear to be a few townhouse developments under construction. I am hoping the businesses will be the types that all East Downtown residents will be able to take advantage of. With the Polk St. bike lane, Columbia Tap Trail, METRO routes 40 and 41, and METRORail Purple and Green Lines, I am hoping this becomes more of a walkable community, and one that neighbors from Downtown and Midtown will want to visit by using the transportation options available other than a car.

• Like 8

On 11/14/2023 at 4:42 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Also, there are two Instagram accounts for East Blocks. None of the accounts have posts or a bio. As with the web domains, I'm unsure which one East Blocks will decide to use.

Instagram:

A follow up to the post regarding two Instagram accounts likely linked to Houston's East Blocks development: The official Instagram account for East Blocks is @eastblockshtx.  

Shortly after my post about the accounts, East Blocks added a bio and posts to one of the accounts. It's possible progress updates and further details will be shared on East Blocks' Instagram.

S4TgAI2.png

• Like 7