3302 Mercer: 7-Story Building

Urbannizer

From the rendering I was baffled as to what it was going to be.  Almost no windows, but balconies?  For years this location has been a rather sketchy-seeming nightclub with various names.  Looking at the hours now it seems like an after-hours place.   I wonder if this is now going to be a 7-story tall nightclub.  That would certainly be unusual.

Interesting location. While that part of town has a lot going for it, that particular street is very sketchy. As I recall, it's a mix of mostly commercial businesses, one of those streets where there's no clear delineation between street and business. There's no real sidewalks, the streets just meld into the parking lots. And no one just strolls around, like those happy young people in the sketches above.

I'll walk over there next week when I'm back in town and check it out.

It would be a surprising place for residential.  The area is commercial but with a bit of an industrial feel.  The building next door is brand new but has an enormous setback for parking, which just continues the unfriendly feel.  Once RO goes up this could be better, though, and maybe that's what the developer is thinking.

However, what I'm not seeing is how parking would work.  It could be plausible that the three approximately-windowless floors are for parking (with an entrance in the back?), but the floor-to-floor spacing seems the same as the upper floors, when I would expect lower ceilings for a garage.  A ground floor entirely dedicated to retail doesn't make much sense either (especially the depicted grocery store).  At least it has what looks like 4 parking spots at street level to serve that retail.  The aforementioned office building next door with the giant parking lot could maybe share spots with this if operating hours don't overlap, but stilI don't see how this could meet any parking minimums for such a large building.

If not for the large balconies on two of the upper floors, plus what looks like an expansive rooftop patio, I'd think it was going to be self-storage.  In the old days I would have guessed it would be for telephone switching equipment, but the giant AT&T building is already vacant from that.  Maybe a data center on floors 2-4 and offices on 5-6?   Floor 7 with a patio and swimming pool as an amenity?  Insert more random implausible guesses here...

Nothing about this building makes much sense to me.  I always applaud increased density, but this is just weird.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 3302 Mercer: 7-Story Building
  • 8 months later...

On 2/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Houston19514 said:

https://www.covingtoncommercialhtx.com/the-underground

The answer is coming soon!  (Looks to be very wine-focused -- perhaps a new wine club)

On 2/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, phillip_white said:

Interesting. Could be wine storage, tasting room, and event space upstairs. Seems a little all-in on wine, but who knows.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, phillip_white said:

Interesting find on pinterest of all places... titled "The Underground -Wine & Whiskey Building on Mercer"

https://www.pinterest.com/minacovington/the-underground-wine-whiskey-building-on-mercer/

Conceptual interior renderings of The Underground from Covington Builders' website are below.  The images seem to suggest there will be some elements that will include: wine storage, tasting room, and maybe a wine bar.

The Underground / Underground is slated for 3302 Mercer St. It's a project from Covington Builders.

67tZDKf.png

7pSbmrD.png

pXiFy50.png

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, Houston19514 said:

https://www.covingtoncommercialhtx.com/the-underground

The answer is coming soon!  (Looks to be very wine-focused -- perhaps a new wine club)

On 2/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, phillip_white said:

Interesting. Could be wine storage, tasting room, and event space upstairs. Seems a little all-in on wine, but who knows.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:55 AM, phillip_white said:

Interesting find on pinterest of all places... titled "The Underground -Wine & Whiskey Building on Mercer"

https://www.pinterest.com/minacovington/the-underground-wine-whiskey-building-on-mercer/

Along with the possibility Underground / The Underground may include a wine bar, tasting room, and wine storage, maybe it will also contain a market element.

In the rendering, there is a small market and grocer on the ground level. 

CnD1bcs.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A plan reviewing fee permit was filed yesterday for 3302 Mercer St.

A few details from the permit:

• Use: Remodel, bar
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

The permit pertains to Underground (or The Underground). It's a project from Covington Builders that is planned for 3302 Mercer St.

Gdb2AYj.png

There is an architectural barriers project filing for 3302 Mercer St. It was filed today with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR.) The filing is for a speakeasy bar.

Below are details from the filing:

• Estimated Start Date: March 1, 2024

• Estimated Completion Date: August 15, 2024

• Estimated Cost:  $120,000

• Type of Work: Renovation/Alteration

• Scope of Work: Interior remodel

• Square Footage: 3,500 sf

• Design Firm: JL Studio

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2024008382

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's Now Houston reported on the architectural barriers project filing for 3302 Mercer St. Based on the article, it seems the author contacted Covington Custom Builders  / Covington Builders for additional details.

Still, the news site isn't the most reliable source of information. Almost all the content on the site are stretched-out details from architectural barriers project filings. The content on their site is mostly limited to restaurants and bars. I find their articles are mainly low on information, usually lacking details from developers or business owners. Also, the writing is as if it was written with an AI program. 

Details from What's Now Houston's article:

Covington is now setting his sights on reinventing the bar scene with his latest project: a uniquely conceived Bourbon Bar, to be located 3302 Mercer St.

Currently unnamed and in the early stages of development, the bar’s identity is beginning to take shape. Covington’s bar marks a significant departure from his speakeasy concept, which was the original thought when submitting the permit. The new venue pivots towards a brighter, more inviting atmosphere, featuring wine lockers and storage facilities. 

https://whatnowhou.com/new-bourbon-bar-concept-in-the-works/