Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

Is ND Heights a message board?

It's called Next Door. It's more of a community Facebook. You won't be able to access ND Heights unless you live there or in a surrounding neighborhood, and you have to validate where you live.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Criminals also know that breaking into a detached garage is "burglary of a building" while an attached garage could be "burglary of a habitation" and those two have significantly different punishments. 

I actually think the crime has gone down a good bit since i've lived here (6+ years).  A few years ago we had multiple armed robberies, car robbery, sexual assualts on the trails, and a someone even got shot in the face accross the street from me...

It seems like people on ND like to think crime has got soo much worse when they are the victim.  I'm not sure how much more police presence will help.. .there is a LOT of police presence on my street yet car breakins happen regularly.  I think more lighting would definitely be a good thing though.

The vast majority of crime in The Heights and Montrose seems to be property crime. People breaking into cars, stealing bikes, stealing stuff from garages, the Heights pooper (lol), stuff like that. The most serious rash I saw of crime in The Heights in recent memory was the arsonist.

Pfftt. Worse thing I ever saw in the Heights was a patron from the beer joint peddling down 26th street, a white Ford truck with a camper pull up even to him, pulled out a gun and shot him in the face. He fell dead in our driveway.

Next worse was the guy running up on the porch of 638 E. 26th, banging on the door at 3 in the morning, and another guy walking up on the porch and sticking a knife in the first guy. He died on the porch.

I can't tell you how many nights occurred where there was a spray of automatic gunfire that rang through the night, or police chases that ran through Sunset Heights back then. Just too many to count. You think crime is bad there now, you should've witnessed what the Heights was like 30-40 years ago, when just walking down North Main at night was an adventure all to itself.

• Like 2

The vast majority of crime in The Heights and Montrose seems to be property crime. People breaking into cars, stealing bikes, stealing stuff from garages, the Heights pooper (lol), stuff like that. The most serious rash I saw of crime in The Heights in recent memory was the arsonist.

I have to say that in Montrose Burglary of Motor vehicle is #1 crime-- Avondale is close to HPD storefront many times ( maybe just to prove their point- but also I'm sure because many cars are in our neighborhood because of the restaurants and bars) the officers walk our neighborhood and put "report" cards on windshield on whether you have passed or failed as a candidate for BMV-- The report back from HPD is always that more cars fail. Mainly because cell phones or laptops or whatever is left visible in cars but many cars are left unlocked---- this is after Avondale papers our neighborhood with warnings about type of thing. So I'm at a loss to know what to say. BMV keeps going up.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

Walking North Main at night could still be an adventure... I had a shotgun pulled on me just off of main not too long ago while longboarding on the street (i was on the street but the "thug" thought we were infringing on his "territory")

I live on North Main... where did this occur?

I pass by the corner of Heights/I-10 at approx. midnight five nights a week.  There are usually a number of homeless people gathered at the seating area in the esplanade.  They also walk about in the street with seemingly no regard for traffic.  It will be interesting to learn more about this incident.

• Like 1

KHOU now reporting that a smoke shop at 13th and Yale was robbed and the suspects fled in a vehicle.  A citizen was chasing the suspects and the suspects fired out of the vehicle at the citizen and a woman pushing a baby in a stroller was struck by the stray bullet.  She is expected to be OK and the baby was not injured.

Chron is reporting a woman was shot in an apparent robbery at 13th and Harvard:

http://www.chron.com/about/article/HPD-Woman-apparently-shot-in-Heights-robbery-5730881.php

This is crazy.  I guess these vape stores are the new target of robbers.  Strange that the murder last week was right infront of a new smoke shop as well.

The murder probably occurred very early in the morning.  Body was found @4:45 am.  Also, it looks like the victim was a transient/homeless man.  No more of a coincidence than the fact that the two crimes were both committed near where businesses are baking bread (Sarita's and Subway).

The smoke shop is more of a "you put your weed in it" place than an e-cig.  I would guess that they would do a lot of cash business (who would want to put a weed pipe on a credit card?) and might have a decent amount of cash on hand in comparison to their security measures in place (or lack thereof).   

• Like 1

The murder probably occurred very early in the morning.  Body was found @4:45 am.  Also, it looks like the victim was a transient/homeless man.  No more of a coincidence than the fact that the two crimes were both committed near where businesses are baking bread (Sarita's and Subway).

The smoke shop is more of a "you put your weed in it" place than an e-cig.  I would guess that they would do a lot of cash business (who would want to put a weed pipe on a credit card?) and might have a decent amount of cash on hand in comparison to their security measures in place (or lack thereof).   

**Law and Order sound**

Thats good work right there.

Seriously, those idiots are lucky they didnt accidently shoot a baby. 

Didnt his mom live here next to Helms Elem and dad in Pasedena? I forgot about all of that. We moved here around 74. There was also 2 other killers in this area. I want to say that Henry Lucas guy was also thought to have killed a girl in 1st Ward.....which is now the 'Arts District'. Then there was that guy that buried a woman along the bayou near Stude Park. He lived in the SkyLine Apartments that are now torn down. 

Does anyone else remember this?

The smoke shop is more of a "you put your weed in it" place than an e-cig. I would guess that they would do a lot of cash business (who would want to put a weed pipe on a credit card?) and might have a decent amount of cash on hand in comparison to their security measures in place (or lack thereof).

We used to call them "head shops" back in my *ahem* smoking days. Maybe I don't realize how much business these kinds of places are pulling in nowadays, but unless the proprietor is selling a kilo of cut every day, I wouldn't think that type of establishment would net a large haul for any robber. To me, there's something more to this story than what's being reported. 2 vehicles used, 4 guys, and shooting at a pursuant in broad daylight? I smell a fish.

• Like 1

Do some homework.

Mother had a candy factory next to Helms EL & & "He" lived in many locales in the Heights.

May be true but the Candy Man that all us Houstonians remember was from Pasadena, and he poisoned his son with a candy Pixie Stix, ruining Halloween around here for decades.

The media may have tried to give Dean Corll the Candy Man name during the Elmer Wayne Hendley Jr. trail, I presume to make the story sound more salacious, but all of us know that the real Candy Man was already locked away.

• Like 1

I pass by the corner of Heights/I-10 at approx. midnight five nights a week. There are usually a number of homeless people gathered at the seating area in the esplanade. They also walk about in the street with seemingly no regard for traffic. It will be interesting to learn more about this incident.

There's supposedly a homeless camp in the wooded areas north of Patterson and Interstate 10. I wouldn't be surprised if it was connected somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

The smoke shop is more of a "you put your weed in it" place than an e-cig. I would guess that they would do a lot of cash business (who would want to put a weed pipe on a credit card?) and might have a decent amount of cash on hand in comparison to their security measures in place (or lack thereof).

I had to chuckle to myself reading about how these are largely a cash-based business. You're not suggesting that their customers are paranoid are you? Lol...

I'm sure there are also comparable vehicle break-in stats for customer vehicles parked at these businesses. Maybe the nearby Star Pizza should run a 24x7 pizza buffet. Alight, I'm finished.

In Timbergrove we may have a serial puker going around a puking on people's property. Same person different end?

Eventually all of these idiots will be caught, and I think the reward may be just the thing to get someone to come forward.

I thought they realized a lot of the supposed heights cat killer cases were actually other animals killing them? 

There have been a number of cats that have been killed by a pack of dogs.  One pack was recently captured by residents.  Some may have also been killed by birds of prey (owls/hawks).  But there are definitely some that were killed by a person.  The head of a cat was mounted on a stake in front of one residence.  Remains were placed in areas that were not accessible to dogs and had evidence of being cut up with knives.  There is definitely a cat killer out there. 

There have been a number of cats that have been killed by a pack of dogs. One pack was recently captured by residents. Some may have also been killed by birds of prey (owls/hawks). But there are definitely some that were killed by a person. The head of a cat was mounted on a stake in front of one residence. Remains were placed in areas that were not accessible to dogs and had evidence of being cut up with knives. There is definitely a cat killer out there.

s3mh is correct. This is a case that we in Texas would label as "A turtle on a fence post". (aka, someone put him up there) Birds, dogs, and coyotes maul, rather than ritualistically dissect their prey. I also started out as a skeptic, but the repeatable patterns have led me to believe the intent is not to serve as a meal for a hungry animal.

Granted the owners should take more personal responsibility in not letting their animals roam free, but to do this is madness.