Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only "pro" of living in the city for me is that I get to stay married....if my wife was willing to commute to work without divorcing me I would be long gone.  I would miss the diversity of food, the trails and the parks, - but I wouldn't miss much else.

I have enjoyed my time in the city but the crime is outrageous compared to anywhere else I have ever lived.  That said I don't feel that its dangerous...just that you always have to lock EVERYTHING up.  That is frustrating.  I'd just like to start shooting the jerk off's who are committing the crime.

You sound frustrated indeed.

I feel like I might have seen that guy around a few times.

Things I'd like to know...  were they in the car together, where were they coming from/ going too, do either of them live actually live in the area,  priors?

The HPD news release has some additional information.  This link will answer your questions.

http://www.hcdistrictclerk.com/eDocs/Public/Search.aspx

That is just the basic search link.  What do we enter into the boxes to bring up the info?

Cheers

James

You have to register to actually search. Once you've done that, do a criminal search for whatever name you are interested in. Really useful site.

The only "pro" of living in the city for me is that I get to stay married....if my wife was willing to commute to work without divorcing me I would be long gone.  I would miss the diversity of food, the trails and the parks, - but I wouldn't miss much else.

I have enjoyed my time in the city but the crime is outrageous compared to anywhere else I have ever lived.  That said I don't feel that its dangerous...just that you always have to lock EVERYTHING up.  That is frustrating.  I'd just like to start shooting the jerk off's who are committing the crime.

I think part of the problem is that you live in the Heights. I've never been able to understand why the Heights continues to climb in value despite the crime problems we always hear about. Yes, there are a ton of awesome properties with amazing people... BUT, the neighborhood is still transitional. There are other neighborhoods in the loop where you can get more for your money and deal with far less crime.

Crime isn't that bad in the Heights. What is bad is that the neighbors blow every little theft into a full blown crime wave. Montrose crime is much worse, but they don't blow it as much out of proportion. There is certainly some transitional areas, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

I think part of the problem is that you live in the Heights. I've never been able to understand why the Heights continues to climb in value despite the crime problems we always hear about. Yes, there are a ton of awesome properties with amazing people... BUT, the neighborhood is still transitional. There are other neighborhoods in the loop where you can get more for your money and deal with far less crime.

I have lots of friends in the Heights, its full of good people, young families, its got good food all around, a great location, good parks, trails, and nice houses that are not the same generic tract home that is being built everywhere...that is what makes the heights attractive to me....I assume its what makes it attractive to others as well.  I loved the diversity of homes when I moved here (which is why I loathe the historic districts) - As to the hood being transitional...ehhh - 5 years ago when I moved in it was transitional, now I would say its transitioned, but it still has hold outs.  The hold outs are the minority now by a long shot, and many of those hold outs are old and just not willing to move.

The crime is another story though...its actually gotten worse as the neighborhood has gentrified.  I blame it on the access in/out and the vast quantity of construction which brings in the opportunity criminals....I had my garage broken into about a year ago - came through the alley - not surprisingly there were 3 houses under construction at the time that backed up to my house but on the other side of the alley.  The construction was the bait, a visible bike in my garage just made collateral damage.

I don't think the Heights is transitional or dangerous, I think its filled with homes where both owners (if applicable) work full time, nice things and easy access, for those reasons its frequented by opportunistic criminals who generally know that nobody is home.  Also, older homes are less likely to have alarms....this is changing FAST, but its still basically true.

We are near Oxford and 8th. According to the Constable, none of them have been reported as stolen. If these sound like yours or someone you know, I have a case number with the Constable.

Urban UNO KHS

Mongoose XR-J5

Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle

Schwinn Windwood

I've also posted on the Inner Loop Houston Crime Alert Facebook page and on Heights Kids.

Are they in your possession, or the police? If no one claims them in a decent amount of time, I'd recommend donating to 3rd ward bike shop (or similar, they're just the only ones I know). They fix up unwanted bikes and give them to local underprivileged kids.

Good luck finding the owners.

I don't know what the constable will do with them after they decide no one is going to claim them? Might be worth checking with them how long they will hold on to them, and what they do after that time is up. If you want, I can PM you my number, and if they just plan on destroying them... You can have them call me and I'll take them off their hands and get them to 3rd ward bicycles myself. 

I'd assume that they would donate if no one claims them, rather than just junking them, but I don't know?

let me know!

• 2 months later...

Time to get a crime thread going again....posted on Nextdoor last night:

"Just to let you know (sadly) - my husband and I were walking home around 10:30 from Fitzgerald's tonight and two african american males with hoodies, and guns, held us up - at Norhill and Woodland.

Luckily they only stole my husband's wallet. But two men on foot, who said, "delicate flower, I will shoot you," is a very scary thing - I screamed, ran, and shouted back as loudly as I could - but my very Zen husband was calm enough to save both of our lives and gave the men what they wanted.

After dialing 911, the police came within a few minutes. Another couple (walking a few minutes behind us) saw the two men run to their car and drive away, eastward towards Michaux and turn left, towards Pecore. They also gave their statement.

Everyone - please be very safe - we did not even see them! They took us completely by surprise, scared us to death, held us both at gun point and demanded money or wallets, etc. And Norhill is very well lit!"

This is the first ambush robbery I remember in a long while this deep in the gentrified Heights.  This pair will strike again, maybe a car-exit ambush in a driveway.....be alert and to those who can, lock and load.

More details:

..."Just thought I should provide a few more details about the incident for anyone interested. First of all, they were in a car waiting for us - according to the couple that was walking home down Euclid. ... View more They ran up behind us, both had revolvers, hoodies and bandanas though my guy pulled his down when he spoke to me. At first they didn't say anything and just pointed the guns at us. They were young, 18-25, 5 foot 2 or 5-5, I'm 5' 7 and they were shorter than me. My husband thought the men were Hispanic, mainly because he actually spoke to one more than I did. I was screaming and yelling because I thought a neighbor might hear us though no one did - even though I could see a tv on in someone's window. My husband asked his robber to keep his ID from his wallet and the guy said yes, then Holger handed over his wallet. I was sort of freaking out and shouting at my guy, telling him I didn't have a wallet, etc. That was when he said he would shoot me.

What's weird is we both had our iPhones on us and I had cash, ID, credit cards etc in my pockets but my guy didn't come near enough to me - maybe because I was screaming at him so much - I don't know?

My husband was so calm that it looked almost like a friendly interaction. He also thought maybe it was a gang initiation type of thing because they seemed so inexperienced and young. And they didn't pat Holger down for his phone, etc.

Anyway, then they ran back to their car and drove off (small red sedan, broken tail light). They were parked at the corner house on Euclid and Norhill Esplanade (north side of the street), facing studewood. It's dark and shady there.

I did get angry and run after them, which in retrospect was the wrong choice. We chose to walk to dinner and Fitzgeralds because it was a beautiful night, we are mindful of our fellow neighbors and frankly, parking is ridiculous over off of White Oak.

It was only 10:30 at night and there were other people out on Studewood - it just seemed so out of place.

Anyway, everyone be mindful of your surroundings and be safe! And thanks for all the emails and thoughts!"

The wife reports they were African-American males. The husband thinks they were Hispanic little people. Maybe later, they can update it to report that they were Vietnamese gang-bangers in wheel chairs.

People who have been the victim of a violent crime are often unsure of the descriptions of suspects and/or vehicles.  It is very understandable and I don't think they should be criticized.  Fortunately they were not harmed.

With the exception of the arsons and that string of robberies a few years back, we are lucky that crime in our area is primarly non-violent property crime.  According to the HPD crime stats for March 2013, the beat that includes most of the Heights (2A30) had 3 robberies, 1 aggravated assault, and 116 non-violent property crimes.

Compare this to crime-ridden Sunnyside (14D20's beat) which had 1 murder, 16 robberies, 32 aggravated assaults, and 113 property crimes.

We should continue to look out for our neighbors and report all suspicious activity to the police.

• Like 1

Sorry, but if you can't tell the difference between African-American males and short Hispanic males, then maybe you shouldn't give a racial description. Or, at the very least, consult with your husband and get your story straightened out before you send out an alert. 

Crime sucks and it's scary as all hell to get held up at gunpoint (I know this personally having had it happen to me 13 years ago) but racial profiling against young black men is a serious problem. 

Sorry, but if you can't tell the difference between African-American males and short Hispanic males, then maybe you shouldn't give a racial description. Or, at the very least, consult with your husband and get your story straightened out before you send out an alert. 

Crime sucks and it's scary as all hell to get held up at gunpoint (I know this personally having had it happen to me 13 years ago) but racial profiling against young black men is a serious problem. 

Just out of curiosity, is this gentleman African-American or Hispanic?

David+Ortiz+Boston+Red+Sox+Photo+Day+TK-

I might also point out that "racial profiling" is a problem for those of hispanic origin as well. Though many people are unaware of this problem, false identification in criminal cases is a huge problem. Most case where DNA has exonerated innocent men have been cases where eyewitnesses were wrong in their identification. The eyewitnesses were not intentionally trying to misidentify African-Americans. They were simply mistaken. It is a sadly common mistake.

• Like 1

don't you just love know-it-all thread jackers?

Sorry to hear you guys got robbed....glad it wasn't any worse

You think witnesses should consult each other to give their eyewitness account? Terrible idea. Eyewitness testimony often has flaws. That doesn't mean it's worthless. Also, Hispanic is not a racial description.

I am as liberal as can be, but this just isn't racial profiling. First, racial profiling is the act of law enforcement taking action on the basis of racial bias. Second, even if you are just claiming that this woman has a racial bias in attempting to describe the criminals, she openly admits that she may have been wrong about the description. Third, a basic skin color description plus a description of the vehicle can be an important tool for law enforcement and neighbors who see a similar vehicle acting suspiciously in the area. Whether the suspects are south Asian or Mexican or African American isn't something that reasonable people expect someone with a gun pointed at the face to be able to sort out. But light skinned versus dark skinned is easy to discern under the stress of the moment and is important information to share.