Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

Just pull a George Zimmerman... :lol:

I would recommend some forthought before someone rushes out and takes the law into their own hands.

How would it look in court if someone was shot with a modern weapon in the Historic Heights?

Seriously, the partial plate # should be enough for HPD to determine who this is. All a confrontation will do is drive the guy into hiding for the next few months, which won't really help anyone.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy in a white Chevy minivan who slowly cruises the Blvd, up and down, between 5:45 and 6:45 am apparently ogling the joggers. He's been doing this for a month or more. He's been seen at the Nicholson bike trail also. 55-60, anglo, smoker, shoulder length hair, deep wrinkles. This is weekdays and weekends. HPD has been alerted (by others) but don't know if they actually have made contact with him. Last four digits of plate are -X802.

Updates welcome.

Thanks for posting. It is really helpful to know.

• Like 1

Washington Avenue and Midtown are in serious danger of the West Nile threat as their uninformed continue to believe that Grey Goose Vodka Tonics (diet tonic at that) are adequate protection against WN.

To make matters even worse there have been reported sightings of dead Popov bottles in Washington area parking lots, symbolic of the panic and misinformation that is being spread. The example below is being transported to Spec's Center for Inebriation Studies for gas-chromotology testing to determine if it is indeed a carrier.

IMG00022.jpg

Edited by TGM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah I saw a lot of commotion last night.  My house is so close to where this happened (like a few houses away), I can't figure out how I didn't hear the gunshots.  I saw the cops tape off the street, and then the police photographers, and eventually saw the medical examiner truck (thats when I knew it was bad stuff).  There really weren't that many police there though, and with a killer was on the loose I would have appreciated a heads up by the police...

Yeah, not much information there or on Khou.com either. 

Man, that must have been scary.  I too would have liked a heads up that the killer was on the loose in the neighborhood - especially if they thought he/she was on foot.  There really isn't a good mechanism for that.

What I have learned from all of this so far - that corner of the heights is jinxed...

James

What else happened there?  One of my neighbors dogs was ran over there last year...   also khou 11 keeps calling it an "up and coming" neighborhood near the heights.... lol.  Pecore's south side is considered Woodland Heights....  this area is up and came.  falling down crap shack is going for 350 just for the lot value across from this. 

oh, that was a good bit down pecore closer to studewood, but yeah still very close. We also had a lady with a giant kitchen knife chasing after a man holding a baby one morning. This sounds almost as if a drug deal gone wrong or something.

Dang...maybe the Historic folks need to focus on banning circumcisions in the Heights.

Edited by TGM

Comes with the territory. While some people call old homes "historic", others just call them cheap. Cheap homes provide residence for troublemakers. It will take a while for property values rise to the point that the troublemakers are priced out. Until then, we just have to hope the occasional stray bullet doesn't have our name on it.

SilverJK, I know you know this, since you live there, but I think the "up and coming" neighborhood is actually Brookesmith, on the other side of North Main. But, both side of North Main are a little rough around the edges still.

luckily the stray bullets are few and far between - what we get to deal with much more frequently is the petty crime - the car break ins, bike theft, etc...I dont ever see that going away.  The Heights has an awesome street grid.  It ensures that there is not too much traffic, BUT, that grid is also extremely easy for thieves to navigate in/out of the neighborhood. 

When you think about it, our grid is a thief's wet dream...upscale neighborhood surrounded by 3 major thoroughfares (I-10, 610, 45) with literally hundreds of streets that almost all access a major thoroughfare out...its easy to lose someone chasing you by making turns, and every turn will eventually drop you onto a major thoroughfare out of the hood.   Its b/c of this I never seen the petty crime going down much...we can reduce it with patrols, and vigilant neighbors, but it will never be as crime free as a neighborhood that is not easily navigable in/out.

Yeah, you got to take the cons with the pros for living in the city... but still, I'd like to not have cartel style executions happening nearly in my front yard. 

The only "pro" of living in the city for me is that I get to stay married....if my wife was willing to commute to work without divorcing me I would be long gone.  I would miss the diversity of food, the trails and the parks, - but I wouldn't miss much else.

I have enjoyed my time in the city but the crime is outrageous compared to anywhere else I have ever lived.  That said I don't feel that its dangerous...just that you always have to lock EVERYTHING up.  That is frustrating.  I'd just like to start shooting the jerk off's who are committing the crime.

• Like 1