Houston House At 1617 Fannin St.

WesternGulf

Hunter Green would be nice.

I disagree. That would be garish. Because you insist on provoking needless argument about which atypical color schemes are or are not ugly, and because that incites bad brand image, it is clear that we must agree to compromise on beige as the preferred color scheme. Are you happy now?

• Like 2

Gee, I didn't know simply stating an opinion about the color of a building is provoking a needless argument. Perhaps you are reading too much into it? We're not going to agree to compromise on anything, because it isn't our building. You prefer what you prefer, I'll prefer what I prefer, and they'll paint the building whatever color they want.

I reserve the right to state in the future what I do and don't like about various buildings in a local architecture forum.

Edited by kylejack

Does anybody else remember that it was originally black? What they are doing now is definitely better than that ugly beige. Of course, that's my own personal opinion - don't want to shake anybody up.

• Like 1

Does anybody else remember that it was originally black? What they are doing now is definitely better than that ugly beige. Of course, that's my own personal opinion - don't want to shake anybody up.

haha i agree i think it looks much better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

They're removing the balconies? I thought they were just painting.  It's possible they're replacing the railings - they had to reinforce a bunch of them with big steel supports a while back

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 12:50 AM, Caleb said:

I think you’re right. I walked my dog that way today and It’s just railings. Maybe a new paint job too? One could hope. 

I think they repainted the building not too long ago.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Seems like they have been working on it for a while. I think it will be much better looking with that white paint job.

Agree, I noticed it for the first time the other day. My first reaction was admittedly negative but my opinion has completely changed. Well done!

• The title was changed to Houston House At 1617 Fannin St.
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I look at those photos and I think Houston House is iconic in its own way. What a survivor! Built in 1966 and has never changed its name, even when you think there would’ve been a need to from a marketing perspective with all the new construction.

Are there any other downtown properties besides the Beaconsfield and the Plaza and Peacock that have been residential for over half a century? 

Incidentally I just looked up the Plaza and Peacock and they were built in 1923, so this is their centennial. Beaconsfield of course are not only pre-WWI but also months older than Titanic sinking.

I’m sure I’m missing some.

• Like 3