editor

• 1 month later...

I work in La Centerra and decided to take a couple pictures from my office today in case anyone was interested in seeing what exactly this is.

photo21_zps9b46272e.jpg

photo11_zpse0539de4.jpg

The building in the foreground is going to be a restaurant (not sure which one) and that has only recently started going up. The metal roof is blinding in the morning. The building obstructed on the right was the first to go up and they just started bricking up the walls within the last day or two. I'm also not sure what's going in there but it will be a few shops and maybe a restaurant with an outdoor patio.

The building that is obstructed to the left is going to house a majority of the new restaurants and shops (including beer world which sounds good to me already). The dirt area in front of that building is going to be an open space which will supposedly have an amphitheater. There is another building that you can't see here that is further to the left which is nearly complete from the outside and will house a few other stores.

Edited by brijonmang
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Looks like they're ready to start the next phase at La Centerra.http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/04/new-office-building-planned-in-katy/

Wow that is much bigger than the original plans for phase three. Phase two is almost done at this point. They started doing some site work recently on the remaining open land where this building would go. I'll get some pictures this week and post them here.

<p>According to the directory at http://www.lacenterr...il-restaurants/ it will include:

• Bonefish Grill
  • Emmanuel Salon
  • Grimaldis Pizzeria
  • World of Beer
  • Zoe's Kitchen

Ate at the Zoe's yesterday. It's got a nice seating area next to one of the lakes. Noticed Grimaldi's is going in next to Zoe's. They've got a sign up and are finishing the buildout inside. I think Bonefish is already open, but the one I'm most curious about is World of Beer. Can't wait to check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pictures I snapped on my way out yesterday.

This first one is where my most anticipated retailer - Beer World - is going to be.

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/brijonmang/media/IMAG0014_zps0c23d090.jpg.html'>IMAG0014_zps0c23d090.jpg

This second one is the new plaza with an amphitheater that is nearing completion.  There is field turf in the center like you see at City Centre or the other plaza already in place at La Centerra.  This chunk of turf is considerably larger than the one for phase one

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/brijonmang/media/IMAG0013_zps35230437.jpg.html'>IMAG0013_zps35230437.jpg.

It looks like there is a new Italian restaurant, D'Amicos to add to the list of restaurants. I think they'll back on the amphitheater. They currently have locations in the University and Heights areas. A simple search on their name brings up their web site and their menu and prices look good.

It looks like there is a new Italian restaurant, D'Amicos to add to the list of restaurants. I think they'll back on the amphitheater. They currently have locations in the University and Heights areas. A simple search on their name brings up their web site and their menu and prices look good.

Nice, I've really been surprised that it's taken so long for an Italian restaurant to go in there.

• 3 weeks later...

I walked by the World of Beer location yesterday, and it looks really nice. A long bar with a lot of windows that can be opened to the outside. Large patio out front.

Grimaldi's looks ready to open .... think they may have been having a soft opening or some event.

I wish I could be more excited about D'Amicos ... I've been to both locations and am always underwhelmed. But i'll go to a middling local chain rather than something like Olive Garden any day. Speaking of local chains, a Pronto or Cafe Express would be nice.

I walked by the World of Beer location yesterday, and it looks really nice. A long bar with a lot of windows that can be opened to the outside. Large patio out front.

Grimaldi's looks ready to open .... think they may have been having a soft opening or some event.

I wish I could be more excited about D'Amicos ... I've been to both locations and am always underwhelmed. But i'll go to a middling local chain rather than something like Olive Garden any day. Speaking of local chains, a Pronto or Cafe Express would be nice.

Grimaldi's is scheduled to open Monday, but I think that they are doing staff training. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they soft open this weekend.

I agree with you on both Pronto and Cafe Express. I think both of them would do big business out here. I'm really surprised that more of the local chains haven't moved out here after the success that companies like Mission Burrito and Black Walnut have had.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of going and checking out World of Beer tonight around 8 or 9 pm. If anyone is interested. I know it's last minute but I just decided to do it. :-)

Do you live in the area? I work there and would be down to meet up with anyone if there's some forethought

Let us know how it is. They are opening one in Sugar Land soon. Going to be hard to top the Saucer. 

I'm thinking of going and checking out World of Beer tonight around 8 or 9 pm. If anyone is interested. I know it's last minute but I just decided to do it. :-)

WOB was packed when I went Friday night. Luckily they have a large outdoor patio area because the bar itself is kind of small. They had a band and even though it was busy they had good service. They have an almost overwhelming beer selection. I stopped trying to pick my own and just asked the waitress to "bring me something new". Overall a great addition to the area for beer lovers (they  don't offer spirits) and I'm sure I'll being going back again.

I live nearby and would be willing to have a meetup there sometime in the future if anyone would be interested. It would definitely take a bit more forethought than I tried to get away with Friday. :-)

• 1 month later...

We heard about Trader Joe's coming to Katy - another forum had this link...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Trader-Joe-s-to-open-store-in-Katy-area-next-year-4784939.php

Katy residents who want dried chile-spiced mango or a jar of cookie butter will have a shorter shopping trip next year.

Specialty grocer Trader Joe's, known for its quirky offerings, will open its fourth Houston-area store in the Cinco Ranch area sometime in 2014.

The store will be at 2643 Commercial Center Blvd., company spokeswoman Alison Mochizuki said.

"Cinco Ranch is a wonderful community, filled with foodies - it's a great fit for Trader Joe's," she said.

The Monrovia, Calif.-based specialty grocer arrived in Houston last year, and the company currently has locations in The Woodlands, Montrose and Memorial areas.

Trader Joe's offers gourmet and organic products, often value-priced. Products range from a wasabi seaweed snack to staples such as milk and eggs. About 80 percent of the store's products are private label.

The Cinco Ranch store will be 12,500 square feet.

Trader Joe's is a "well- managed company," has no debt and is "unique" in its offerings, said David Livingston, an analyst at Waukesha, Wis.-based DJL Research.

The company is among the industry leaders in generating sales per square foot, he said. It typically places its stores in high-density areas with higher-income residents.

An H-E-B has been in Cinco Ranch for a few years, and Kroger and Whole Foods have opened stores in the high-growth area within the past year or so.

Trader Joe's has almost 400 stores in 35 states.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hrm... are not the culinary offerings in that area very homogeneous?

Homogeneous aka typical bland chain restaurants?

If you only drive by on I10 you might think so, but if you go down the surface streets you'll find quite a few non-chain restaurants.

Hrm... are not the culinary offerings in that area very homogeneous?

Homogeneous aka typical bland chain restaurants?

Nice stereotyping. Try driving down Mason sometime. You'll find a pretty wide variety of small family-owned restaurants tucked into the little strip centers there.

This has become a great area for grocery stores. In addition to Trader Joe's, we've got Whole Foods, Sprouts, the big HEB, and the new Kroger Signature all within a couple of miles. I need to start cooking more.

Edited by livincinco
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/lacenterra-at-cinco-ranch-expanding-with-trader-joes-and-more/

Vista Equities Group broke ground on a third phase of its LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch mixed-use development in an expansion that will bring the popular Trader Joe’s grocer to the Katy area.

“We’re very excited that Trader Joe’s is joining the LaCenterra family,” said Lindsay Kaye, director of marketing and public relations for LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch.

The Houston-based developer will add  37,000 square feet of retail space, 36,000 square feet of office space, and a parking garage.

The Trader Joe’s store will take up 12,500 square feet. The Monrovia, Calif.-based chain has three stores in the Houston area in The Woodlands, Montrose and Memorial neighborhoods.

Hoar Construction oversee construction.

LaCenterra is a 300,000-square-foot Main Street style development at 23501 Cinco Ranch Boulevard near the Grand Parkway. Among its tenants are Jos. A. Banks Clothiers, Eddie Bauer, Grimaldi’s Pizzeria and D’Amico’s Italian Market Cafe. The development spans 34 acres. It opened in March of 2007.

Completion of the new phase is planned in the fall of 2014.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/grocery-wars/

After eight years of development, the end is in sight for LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch. Vista Equities prez Woody Mann (above with director of marketing Lindsay Kaye) tells us his firm just broke ground on Phase 3 of the 34-acre, mixed-use project on the Grand Parkway. That includes 37k SF of retail anchored by Trader Joe's (well, hello there, $2 wine), 36k SF of office, and a garage. Woody tells us he hadn't worked a grocer into the original plan, but the community is excited about the Trader Joe's (its first location in Katy and fourth in the metro). This phase will open next October.

LaCenterra-at-Cinco-Ranch-Phase-3-ground

In December, Martin Fein will launch development of a 300-unit multifamily community. Next fall, the final phase will break ground: 40k SF of retail and 100k SF of office, bringing LaCenterra to 300k SF of retail and 225k SF of office total. Hoar Construction is handling construction for all phases. Woody tells us he couldn't have written the script better: The first two phases of LaCenterra are nearly 100% leased, and the center pulls in $500/SF of sales. He particularly loves the mix of restaurants, which the Katy area needed. Phase 3 of LaCenterra is 50% pre-leased on the office side and 70% pre-leased for retail, and Woody says he's already in discussions with some large tenants for Phase 4.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...