Grand Parkway Shoppes

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what ever happened to this development?

I think you are refering to the mall to be build at Grand Parkway and I-10. The last I heard there is still a committment of the project, but specifics had not been released. Currently JC Penny is builing a new format store similar to Kohls just on the other side of the Cinimark Theater. The walls are up as well as a sign with the JC Penny logo, this store will be a free standing store similar to what you see in a Kohls development. There is also work on putting a new road into the "mall" area off of Westside Parkway. They have also been doing quite a bit of utility work in the area as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I think you are refering to the mall to be build at Grand Parkway and I-10.  The last I heard there is still a committment of the project, but specifics had not been released.  Currently JC Penny is builing a new format store similar to Kohls just on the other side of the Cinimark Theater.  The walls are up as well as a sign with the JC Penny logo, this store will be a free standing store similar to what you see in a Kohls development.  There is also work on putting a new road into the "mall" area off of Westside Parkway.  They have also been doing quite a bit of utility work in the area as well.

Plans are underway to bring this mall (formerly known as Houston Premium Outlets) back to life. The HPO mall, on the north side of I-10, east of Grand Parkway, was going to be an outlet-type shopping center in its first incarnation in the late 90's. For those that don't remember, around 1998 there was a race between HPO and the Katy Mills Mall to see who would get on the ground first. Katy Mills had invested tons of money (and plenty of politics), and when Houston Premium Outlets started getting a leg up in construction, the Mills group bought out HPO and shuttered it. HPO had already built a lot of its infrastructure when it was shut down, including utility lines, detention ponds, entrance road from I-10, and part of the ring road around the mall.

Fast forward to 2005...the mall is cranking back up, with a new name and a new concept. Instead of an outlet mall, this will be more in line with a traditional mall, with your standard mall retailers like JC Penneys, Dillards, Nordstrom, etc. From what I understand, the Katy Mills mall is more of an outlet mall, and it has not been entirely successful.

My understanding is that the new mall will be part open-air, and partially enclosed. I'm not a big fan of malls, but I think the end product will be much better than what was proposed back in 1998. I think this mall will benefit from the fact that there is no "arms race" anymore...everyone involved can take a little more time to put a good finished product on the ground, rather than rushing to put just anything on the ground, as things were headed back in 1998.

Plans are underway to bring this mall (formerly known as Houston Premium Outlets) back to life.  The HPO mall, on the north side of I-10, east of Grand Parkway, was going to be an outlet-type shopping center in its first incarnation in the late 90's.  For those that don't remember, around 1998 there was a race between HPO and the Katy Mills Mall to see who would get on the ground first.  Katy Mills had invested tons of money (and plenty of politics), and when Houston Premium Outlets started getting a leg up in construction, the Mills group bought out HPO and shuttered it.  HPO had already built a lot of its infrastructure when it was shut down, including utility lines, detention ponds, entrance road from I-10, and part of the ring road around the mall. 

Fast forward to 2005...the mall is cranking back up, with a new name and a new concept.  Instead of an outlet mall, this will be more in line with a traditional mall, with your standard mall retailers like JC Penneys, Dillards, Nordstrom, etc.  From what I understand, the Katy Mills mall is more of an outlet mall, and it has not been entirely successful.

My understanding is that the new mall will be part open-air, and partially enclosed.  I'm not a big fan of malls, but I think the end product will be much better than what was proposed back in 1998.  I think this mall will benefit from the fact that there is no "arms race" anymore...everyone involved can take a little more time to put a good finished product on the ground, rather than rushing to put just anything on the ground, as things were headed back in 1998.

What's the company name that's doing the mall? What is the new name of the mall? Any pictures, or something to look at?

I would like to have more info about this project.

The land is owned by Simon Property Group. I didn't see anything on their website about the development, and I don't have any pretty pictures to share.

Here's an aerial of vicinity, though. It gives a good overview of the area. Interfin still owns the land between the proposed mall and Mason Road, and their history would suggest that they'll do some quality things there as well.

westside_map.jpg

I believe it's about 150 acres. The project is going by the name of "West Houston Town Center", if that tells you anything about the development.

I'm not intimately involved in this project, so I don't know all the details.

Maybe someone here can explain the "town center" commercial concept to me. It seems like everyone's building "town centers" now instead of malls. Is this just the new name for today's malls? What differentiates a "town center" from a typically big-box shopping center?

My 18-year old niece said something to me yesterday that pretty much confirmed all of our suspicions about malls: people are less and less interested in them and are coming around to the open air centers that are going up in these "town centers."

"Uncle, malls are boring. They're empty and they're a drag."

i wonder if open air markets are just a fad. i kind of wish there were more malls like memorial city. its cool to have a target you can get regular stuff in, and a mall section to shop for less everyday items. the woodlands open air mall has some cool stuff in it though. pf changs is great.

i went to a mall in shawnee, oklahoma that had a walmart in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest information on the mall. It provides the same map below, except now there is a link to the rough plans for the mall and area shopping.

http://www.interfin.com/projects/westside.html

The land is owned by Simon Property Group.  I didn't see anything on their website about the development, and I don't have any pretty pictures to share.

Here's an aerial of vicinity, though.  It gives a good overview of the area.  Interfin still owns the land between the proposed mall and Mason Road, and their history would suggest that they'll do some quality things there as well.

westside_map.jpg

So, by reading the article. Right now they building a J.C. Penny's on the site of the mall, and will be opening this fall. This rest of the mall will be open Spring of 2008.

Alot of other deveoplments will take place surrounding the mall, well should I say "town center."

I think this will be great, since this is Simon's development.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the layout of the Mall as all outdoors and parking in the back.

This is the type of development that can easily integrate residential and office into it. I don't think it'll happen at this one because of the location, but it's possible. Maybe in 20 years there will be a demand out there for a more urbans space, but for now it looks cool.

The location is also very strategic. The GP will eventually go to US 290 allowing all of west Houston between US 290 and I-10 west of the Beltway easy north south access. Also, tons of new homes are planned along the GP corridor including about 1500 acres just south of the Fairfield development.

Let's see it sprawl baby.

The mall looks no different than a traditional mall without a roof. It even has the surrounding parking lot with the circular road around it. Is there anything special here other than open air.

The "Shoppes" is the same outer edge infill as well. Even has the movie theatre to the side.

Someday tell me what makes this special. Somebody show me who would walk to this place. Somebody tell me why, other than a cute marketing name and spiel, this isn't a regional shopping mall that saves on air conditioning.

The key word is regional.

It saves you from going to Memorial City which is crowded and the travel time to West Oaks or Willowbrook.

Katy Mills is just a large enclosed outlet center. Not really normal mall stores.

I think it will be a good project. It'll probably be very simlar to Uptown Park will a less upscale in it. The same developer anyway.

This is something specifically designed for those who live in the middle of nowhere. I mean just look at the location. Thanks for the sprawl.

I just cannot believe the people will actually drive all the way out there for nothing. It's just BS. As RedScare stated, there is absolutely nothing special about this sprawl project.

No thanks.

This is something specifically designed for those who live in the middle of nowhere. I mean just look at the location. Thanks for the sprawl.

I just cannot believe the people will actually drive all the way out there for nothing. It's just BS. As RedScare stated, there is absolutely nothing special about this sprawl project.

No thanks.

I can't see anyone from intown going out there it seems like it is there only for the people who live there and even further out. Granted I know some people who live close in and yet go to katy mills sometimes to shop. I always think they are crazy to go out there when they could shop intown.

I will go, and alot other people will go too. Some of y'all will go, just cause its new. y'all right now saying, I'm not going. When the grand opening, y'all be right in there.

And can y'all changed the topic, cause all I hear is sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. We can not help it, we can not destory it, so live with it. This is Houston, and sprawl will continue here and across the world.

Now I call that entertainment!

I will go, and alot other people will go too. Some of y'all will go, just cause its new. y'all right now saying, I'm not going. When the grand opening, y'all be right in there.

Are you going to go for the grand opening or on a regular basis just to shop. I was saying I don't see why someone who lives close in would go out there to do their shopping when all of these stores are probably somewhere closer in.

Archived