Texas Medical Center Skyline Update

WestGrayGuy

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize that I really have nothing to add but I do have a question myself regarding construction in the Medical Center. I work at Methodist Hospital and I was wondering would anyone on this board have a drawing of the new Methodist Outpatient building going up on the west side of Fannin? Thanks in advance.

I apologize that I really have nothing to add but I do have a question myself regarding construction in the Medical Center. I work at Methodist Hospital and I was wondering would anyone on this board have a drawing of the new Methodist Outpatient building going up on the west side of Fannin? Thanks in advance.

I got the data I needed, but only for the TMC proper.

According to the TMC, Inc., the Outpatient Center will have 569,000 square feet of space, excluding parking, which takes up another 262,000 square feet of space. Completion is anticipated in June 2008.

img_large_1_project_50.jpg

img_large_2_project_50.jpg

img_large_3_project_50.jpg

More pictures and information can be found here, although their 'program manager' shows 1.4 million square feet and projects a 2009 completion. I don't know quite what to make of the discrepancy.

I got the data I needed, but only for the TMC proper.

According to the TMC, Inc., the Outpatient Center will have 569,000 square feet of space, excluding parking, which takes up another 262,000 square feet of space. Completion is anticipated in June 2008.

, although their 'program manager' shows 1.4 million square feet and projects a 2009 completion. I don't know quite what to make of the discrepancy.

Where did you get the first set of numbers? Everything I can find comes closer to the 1.4 million squre foot number. Here's one quote from the Business Journal that may explain:

"The building will include 500,000 square feet of patient care, says Felker. The other 1 million square feet will be solely for parking, she says, and will include more than 1,300 parking spaces."

• Like 1

Where did you get the first set of numbers? Everything I can find comes closer to the 1.4 million squre foot number. Here's one quote from the Business Journal that may explain:

"The building will include 500,000 square feet of patient care, says Felker. The other 1 million square feet will be solely for parking, she says, and will include more than 1,300 parking spaces."

Looks to me like the TMC, Inc. just got their parking numbers wrong. But the amount of non-parking square footage looks about right.

Are they having to tear anything down to build? I couldn't imagine there being an empty lot there unless it's parking?

Sorry, I don't frequent that area much and don't even live in Houston right now, so I couldn't see for myself until I come home next week, what up! ;)

• Like 1

img_large_3_project_50.jpg

Uptown may have taller structures, but hands down TMC has true density. Most every building is built right up to the street. If anything was going to compete with Downtown density, I think TMC is ahead of it game and off to a great street.

Great looking project. :)

• Like 1

Uptown may have taller structures, but hands down TMC has true density. Most every building is built right up to the street. If anything was going to compete with Downtown density, I think TMC is ahead of it game and off to a great street.

Great looking project. :)

That may have been planned, but with it being a bunch of hospitals, it's probably more of a pragmatic/logistical thing than anything, don't ya think?

• Like 1

Pics from Houston's World Famous Medical Center and Rice University:

I guess I should've been clearer in my response to a post in another thread, but when I suggested that you post multiple times to avoid the ten-photo cutoff that IPB has, I meant that you should initially post with ten photos, then respond to yourself with another ten, and keep on responding within the same thread until you've posted everything.

Perhaps a moderator could successfully perform a merge?

Thx for the comments. Yeah, I saw the lighting this Saturday when we tooks the kids to see the lights at Herman Park. It's got sort of a bluish/purple tint. It's awesome.

The lights in the park were scaled down this year due to "budget cuts" according to a security guard. It was kind of a bummer.

Here's a shot of the lights on the new tall building (anyone know the name of it). The shot was too dark but it does show the new lights.

Houston12-06christmaslights013.jpg

Edited by Boris