Texas Medical Center Skyline Update

WestGrayGuy

Everything seems to be rainbow in Houston... The top of Reliant Energy Plaza, this building, and the fiber optic lights over the bridges over 59.

They need more of that rainbow lighting downtown to offset the dull white x-mas lights that's used on virtually every builing in Houston (EXCEPT Uptown/Greenway)

Edited by tierwestah

They need more of that rainbow lighting downtown to offset the dull white x-mas lights that's used on virtually every builing in Houston (EXCEPT Uptown/Greenway)

Are you kidding? Uptown has the most buildings with dull white x-mas lights dotting the tops of them. The only one with a unique feature is Williams Tower.

Downtown has plenty of exceptions. Moreover, downtown doesn't have as many flat roofs, so even where there are dull white x-mas lights, it is still more eye-catching than most of uptown.

Everything seems to be rainbow in Houston... The top of Reliant Energy Plaza, this building, and the fiber optic lights over the bridges over 59.

How long do you think it'll take for MidtownCoog to discover this thread and rant about the homosexual agenda?

It's called new technology. Incandescents have been around for yrs and are cheaper installation-wise. The colored light technologies you see in the "hottest" places require power supplies, computer(s) etc.

It's called new technology. Incandescents have been around for yrs and are cheaper installation-wise. The colored light technologies you see in the "hottest" places require power supplies, computer(s) etc.

Bbbbbrrrr duh. (I apologize, inside joke).

I know its "new", but its rainbow. And I just pointed that out. Houston also holds the record for the largest human rainbow... in 92' or 94' in Eleanor Tinsley Park.

Houston isn't gay, its happy! >:)

Are you kidding? Uptown has the most buildings with dull white x-mas lights dotting the tops of them. The only one with a unique feature is Williams Tower.

no i ain't kiddin. Downtown overdoes the Christmas light scheme. I was talking about year round, not just the holidays. If you pay attention, Uptown turns their white x-mas lights off after the holidays, Downtown doesn't .

no i ain't kiddin. Downtown overdoes the Christmas light scheme. I was talking about year round, not just the holidays. If you pay attention, Uptown turns their white x-mas lights off after the holidays, Downtown doesn't .

Only The JP Morgan Chase Tower & Fulbright Tower have those bulbs on... And Fulbright doesn't have the save lighting during the holidays, it usually turns off the white lights, and portrays a green tree.

Only The JP Morgan Chase Tower & Fulbright Tower have those bulbs on... And Fulbright doesn't have the save lighting during the holidays, it usually turns off the white lights, and portrays a green tree.

You left out quite a few. I'll name them all who do the white xmas light thing year round (IN DOWNTOWN)

Chase Tower

Exxon Mobil

Houston Center 1

Houston Center 2

Fullbright (aka Chevron Tower/ Houston Center )

And that doesn't include the 2 buildings in TMC, Heights, and Greenspoint. My point is we need more color to some of our sklylines. The downtown skyline is dominated by the white perimiter x-mas lighting round the rooftops. Looks ugly.

You left out quite a few. I'll name them all who do the white xmas light thing year round (IN DOWNTOWN)

Chase Tower

Exxon Mobil

Houston Center 1

Houston Center 2

Fullbright (aka Chevron Tower/ Houston Center )

And that doesn't include the 2 buildings in TMC, Heights, and Greenspoint. My point is we need more color to some of our sklylines. The downtown skyline is dominated by the white perimiter x-mas lighting round the rooftops. Looks ugly.

Imo downtown is woefully lacking in illumination during any time of the year. Cities like Atlanta make us look silly in comparison.

Does anyone have any information on the new hospital Baylor is building off Wyndale, where the old Parkwood Apartments used to be? I have not been able to find any new information on it. However, the old apartments continue to be demolished. There was also a rendering in the Baylor newspaper that showed a bridge going from Pressler (off Holcombe) going over the bayou, connecting to Wyndale, near where the hospital is to be built. U of H owns the land on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale, and recently fenced off their land. Does anyone know anything about that one? Also, I know Cambridge Properties did own the land at 7000 Staffordshire, down the street from the proposed hospital. But Cambridge sold the land several years ago, and it has sat vacant ever since. If anyone has any info on the area(including the Devonshire Place neighborhood) please pass it on! thanks!

Does anyone have any information on the new hospital Baylor is building off Wyndale, where the old Parkwood Apartments used to be? I have not been able to find any new information on it. However, the old apartments continue to be demolished. There was also a rendering in the Baylor newspaper that showed a bridge going from Pressler (off Holcombe) going over the bayou, connecting to Wyndale, near where the hospital is to be built. U of H owns the land on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale, and recently fenced off their land. Does anyone know anything about that one? Also, I know Cambridge Properties did own the land at 7000 Staffordshire, down the street from the proposed hospital. But Cambridge sold the land several years ago, and it has sat vacant ever since. If anyone has any info on the area(including the Devonshire Place neighborhood) please pass it on! thanks!

Nope, and I've tried to pry it out of them. They won't budge. They just kept telling me to wait until mid-January.

I'm just wondering if they're finally going to get rid of the Kindred Hospital. that old horse is needed, but good lord, they need an upgraded facility!

So I assume that the building next to the new Outpatient center, the old one will be demo'ed?

I'm just wondering if they're finally going to get rid of the Kindred Hospital. that old horse is needed, but good lord, they need an upgraded facility!

So I assume that the building next to the new Outpatient center, the old one will be demo'ed?

I'm not sure off hand. Anybody else know?

• 4 weeks later...

Construction has started on the Methodist Hospital Research Institute building in the Texas Medical Center.

The 420,000-square-foot advanced medical research facility will have five floors of laboratory space, imaging equipment and operating rooms for research.

In early 2004, Methodist's board approved $100 million to create an endowment to launch the institute.

Later that year, the board committed an additional $30 million to fund a neurological institute as part of the research center.

The project is being built next to the Methodist Hospital on Bertner Avenue and it should be completed in 2009.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4542550.html

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Edited by houstonsemipro

• 1 month later...

i noticed two new buildings under construction at TMC yesterday. i have not been able to figure out which one is the really tall building with cranes still on top. i've perused this thread twice and still not identified which one it might be. i forgot to bring my camera. this building looks to be more than 25 stories and appears to be, sort of, in the middle of the medical center. can someone put 2 and 2 together for me? thanks.

i noticed two new buildings under construction at TMC yesterday. i have not been able to figure out which one is the really tall building with cranes still on top. i've perused this thread twice and still not identified which one it might be. i forgot to bring my camera. this building looks to be more than 25 stories and appears to be, sort of, in the middle of the medical center. can someone put 2 and 2 together for me? thanks.

The tall one u/c. Part of M.D. Anderson.

img_large_1_project_28.jpg

img_large_2_project_28.jpg

img_large_3_project_28.jpg

Edited by WesternGulf

Texas Children's is also planning on adding 8 floors to the 12 story Feigin Center. That project was announced at the same time they announced the new 15 story Neuro Bldg and the 14 story Maternity Center. The Feigin Center project was due to commence immediately so maybe that's the crane in question?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that a building Belonging to methodist was being Demo'ed, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

It amazes me that there is so much stuff going on in the medical center alone that it's getting to be very difficult to keep track of.

I noticed that a building Belonging to methodist was being Demo'ed, but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

It amazes me that there is so much stuff going on in the medical center alone that it's getting to be very difficult to keep track of.

The building being demoed is to make way for the new Methodist inpatient building.