Discovery West: Mixed-Use Development Downtown By Skanska

Moore713

14 minutes ago, wxman said:

Looks like a building that belongs in Phoenix--the height, color, design. No?

yes, it should be 10-20 stories taller. The building looks very squatty. They should have used horizontal line, instead of vertical, or a more"amoeba" like shape wrapping around the Embassy Suite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Gonna ask a couple of dumb questions but here goes:

1. How do they make sure the roots don't break into the ceiling above?
  2. How do they make sure the roots are strong enough that these plants won't get uprooted and blown off in a big storm/hurricane?

Guessing - 

1. Reinforced and water sealed concrete boxes. Given enough time and cracks, the roots may find a way through, but presumably it would be going into dry concrete, so less likely than a root migrating trough a pipe or around a foundation on the ground. All of the water and soil is confined to the box. 

2. More anchors/tie downs? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious about this tower? 

Did they not consider the Embassy Suites views? Now the visitors to ES have nothing to look at except the walls of this new building. I am wondering how enticing it will be now to get visitors to stay in this hotel with basically view of the city or downtown. 

4 hours ago, scarface said:

Just curious about this tower? 

Did they not consider the Embassy Suites views? Now the visitors to ES have nothing to look at except the walls of this new building. I am wondering how enticing it will be now to get visitors to stay in this hotel with basically view of the city or downtown. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scarface said:

Did they not consider the Embassy Suites views?

I think the answer to that question is obviously not.

7 hours ago, scarface said:

I am wondering how enticing it will be now to get visitors to stay in this hotel with basically view of the city or downtown. 

Plenty of hotels in NYC, Chicago, and other major cities (in Houston, too, I'm sure) that similarly abut neighboring buildings.  At least this will be only on one side.  I don't think the run-of-the-mill traveler is looking for a view when booking a hotel.  If they get a nice one, sure, it's a major plus, but it seems to me like the only people who would really know AND really care would be repeat travelers, who after a while could figure out a way to request a room on the other side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I think the answer to that question is obviously not.

Plenty of hotels in NYC, Chicago, and other major cities (in Houston, too, I'm sure) that similarly abut neighboring buildings.  At least this will be only on one side.  I don't think the run-of-the-mill traveler is looking for a view when booking a hotel.  If they get a nice one, sure, it's a major plus, but it seems to me like the only people who would really know AND really care would be repeat travelers, who after a while could figure out a way to request a room on the other side.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, it’s the Embassy Suites not the Hyatt Regency.  I don’t think a view is why people book there.

• Like 1