I-45 Rebuild (North Houston Highway Improvement Project)

On 5/18/2023 at 2:41 PM, Amlaham said:

Idk if this has already been posted/discussed before, but Midtown TIRZ created funding for a cap park over i69 between Midtown and the Museum District. The dates are obviously off, but the important thing is that they plan on funding the park! 

Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 1.04.39 PM

Good to see confirmation, but this one was always going to happen. Midtown is well funded and good at planning. 

My big concern is the N Main cap.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Triton said:

Man, I'm going to be sad when they tear down Tout Suite. Someone was telling me it was the first Ford dealership in Houston... ?

There’s at least one thread on this forum about old Ford dealerships.  I don’t see anything about a dealership at this location. 

7 hours ago, Triton said:

Man, I'm going to be sad when they tear down Tout Suite. Someone was telling me it was the first Ford dealership in Houston... ?

In 1923, that address was Houston Brick and Supply

in 1911, there was a grocer and Houston Wood and Coal. Ford was located at 800 Walker.

I don't see any evidence that there was a Ford dealer there.

• Like 1

speaking of favorite places that are losing their land...

I've chatted briefly with the owner of Huynh, and asked what they plan on doing, I know they plan on keeping on, we just never got to that part of the conversation before he had to move on to another table.

They're aware of the inevitable, but aren't looking for a new location at the moment, husband/co-owner Bryan Hucke told me. They'll move when it's time.

Would prefer to stay in the east end, where the restaurant already has a large dedicated customer base, but the I-10 corridor going west is being considered. Heights, Spring Branch, Memorial, Memorial City were name-dropped. It'll depend on what spaces are available at what price points at the time. 

They want an inexpensive, turnkey restaurant space where no renovations are required in an effort to keep prices affordable. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JClark54 said:

They're aware of the inevitable, but aren't looking for a new location at the moment, husband/co-owner Bryan Hucke told me. They'll move when it's time.

Would prefer to stay in the east end, where the restaurant already has a large dedicated customer base, but the I-10 corridor going west is being considered. Heights, Spring Branch, Memorial, Memorial City were name-dropped. It'll depend on what spaces are available at what price points at the time. 

They want an inexpensive, turnkey restaurant space where no renovations are required in an effort to keep prices affordable. 

Appreciate the info, but I couldn't help but chuckle at "stay in the east end" - they're barely at the east beginning!

Which got me wondering (sorry, a little off-topic) - where does the East End "begin" for y'all (not necessarily talking about the technical district boundaries for the Greater East End district)? I think for me that rail line next to 65th is the dividing line

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Appreciate the info, but I couldn't help but chuckle at "stay in the east end" - they're barely at the east beginning!

Which got me wondering (sorry, a little off-topic) - where does the East End "begin" for y'all (not necessarily talking about the technical district boundaries for the Greater East End district)? I think for me that rail line next to 65th is the dividing line

I understand your laugh. They're right on the edge of downtown. My gut tells me the purists on this forum would have had a bigger issue with my location had I used downtown, however. I can see the comments now... 

In terms of what's east end, they'd be Third Ward if the ward boundaries are used. Third Ward roughly follows the West Belt. Hence, the Leeland light rail stop being called Leeland/Third Ward. They're obviously EaDo if we use current names, but that's east end, too.

image.jpeg.fb273d026c5004362aedc5d5d1a4ad11.jpeg 

Today, I think I'm fairly safe in assuming most people use highways as boundaries. It's east of 45, albeit you're right it's only east by 100 feet or so. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

there's the East End Management District, which their coverage starts where EaDo ends, as a western border.

that about the only officially named area with East End in the name.

my mom (and probably anyone who grew up in Houston before freeways defined borders), who grew up on Truett and Dismuke, went to Austin HS, she'd probably define EE as everything east of the westbelt railroad. (which is pretty much where the EEMD starts)

myself, before I moved here, I thought of anything east of 59 as the east end (which affirms @JClark54), now that I've lived here for 15 years (mostly at Telephone and Broadmoor), I'd probably use that same coloquial border she does. there's definitely a clear difference at that point. west of that (excluding the newer townhomes) it's mostly warehouses/industrial, and not high quality homes. east of that, there's less warehouses, and more homes, and of higher quality. at least, of the older stock. 

where you are seeing the start of the east end, basically, at wayside, I would say is smack dab in the middle of the east end. I bet if you canvassed 100 people, you'd probably get about 10-20 different responses for where the east end historically, and currently would have begun.

to the greater point, I'd think that most people who live with freeways, and probably don't live here, or have the influence of others who might have defined things before freeways, anything north of Gulf Freeway, east of 59, and south of Buffalo Bayou is Houston East End.

of course, with all the stuff happening north of Buffalo Bayou, I'd guess in 50 years the East End may include anything south of I-10 too. the same as the border of The Heights continues to grow over the years.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 12:47 AM, Houston19514 said:

There’s at least one thread on this forum about old Ford dealerships.  I don’t see anything about a dealership at this location. 

On 6/11/2023 at 8:19 AM, Ross said:

In 1923, that address was Houston Brick and Supply

in 1911, there was a grocer and Houston Wood and Coal. Ford was located at 800 Walker.

I don't see any evidence that there was a Ford dealer there.

Oh ok thanks. This was a colleague telling me about this... even had an elaborate story too. Like, where the glass windows are facing the highway is where the service bay for Ford vehicles used to enter. But guess not.

seeing this land without homes on it (other than doing the obvious things) shows some interesting features.

the slope of the land cascading towards the bayou is very obvious when you view it from a south to north orientation.

there's a lot of land there, and presumably they'll make it a retention basin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samagon said:

seeing this land without homes on it (other than doing the obvious things) shows some interesting features.

the slope of the land cascading towards the bayou is very obvious when you view it from a south to north orientation.

there's a lot of land there, and presumably they'll make it a retention basin?

I-45 and I-69 will be routed over most of that land, eliminating the big curve.

7 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I-45 and I-69 will be routed over most of that land, eliminating the big curve.

yes, that's correct.

I guess, I was just wondering, because it just says "Potential Detention". 

will it actually be an overflow/detention area, and will that area be given a similar treatment as Arthur Storey Park, or even the unnamed detention pond at 610/Braeswood intersection.

I'm guessing they'd say that's out of their scope of work, and it will depend upon the corps of engineers to do something?