Iconia Hard Rock Houston: Hotel & Condominiums At 3500 Sage Rd.

Urbannizer

I think they should at least start with a Whole Foods Post Oak location, then a "front of Galleria" location (maybe just adjacent to the Westin/Cheesecake factory entrance)...then an Uptown Park location as well! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Hard Rock Hotel & Condominiums Proposed For Uptown
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 4:44 PM, Urbannizer said:

I believe The Mercer was originally planned as 4 high-rises with their backsides facing each other, hence the lack of windows. The idea was cut down to 2 high-rises but only one came to be.

52_1.jpg

Just an FYI regarding the Mercer... our general manager at the Mark worked at the Mercer when it first opened. Apparently the skyrocketing price of cement prevented the second tower from being built. Just as well if you ask me. Same developer built both the Mercer and Mark and then went bankrupt. Back to topic... I noticed some soil testing (is that what they call it when drilling holes all over the property?) about 6 months ago on this property. Hope this and the McNair developments happen. This side of town desperately needs some lovin... The Bristol and particularly 3525 Sage is looking pretty shabby. The Mark was recently painted and is holding its own but we could use some new investment over our way.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

The project is seeking a hotel variance. On the very last page of the new agenda, there’s a very large image. I can’t tell if it’s a site plan, elevation or rendering because the file crashes before I can view it when mobile. If anyone can capture it please post here. I won’t be able to do so until tomorrow.

(Click current agenda)

https://plattracker.houstontx.gov/edrc/login.aspx

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Iconia Hard Rock Houston: Hotel & Condominiums For Uptown
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I saw them taking soil samples a few months ago and got my hopes up but then nothing. The property is covered with graffiti and looks awful. Right across the street is 3535 Sage which a new for sale sign just went up. Found an advertisement for 3535 saying they are going to demolish the now abandoned commercial building on the 8 acre sight. This area has really declined in the 15 years I have lived at the Mark and has brought the property values along with it, I’m afraid…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mark Resident said:

I saw them taking soil samples a few months ago and got my hopes up but then nothing. The property is covered with graffiti and looks awful. Right across the street is 3535 Sage which a new for sale sign just went up. Found an advertisement for 3535 saying they are going to demolish the now abandoned commercial building on the 8 acre sight. This area has really declined in the 15 years I have lived at the Mark and has brought the property values along with it, I’m afraid…

This portion of Uptown is very unattractive including The Mark, 3525 Sage Condominiums, and The Bristol which are very dated looking buildings. However, have property values really declined in the area?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fortune said:

This portion of Uptown is very unattractive including The Mark, 3525 Sage Condominiums, and The Bristol which are very dated looking buildings. However, have property values really declined in the area?

Definitely has not declined in anyway 😂 I live in the area and they've been increasing every single year. I feel like people throw around "property values gone down" wayyyy to loosely.

Every time something minor happens "yeah things not the same anymore, property values are going down" 

It takes 1 google search to invalidate this

These lots/apartments are all within a 5 min walk from this site (Also, keep in mind, these aren't new builds) 

Lastly, here is a map of Houston property value change over the last year. Also, it has the change of Houston property value average since 2000 (126K in 2000 to 313K in 2022)

• https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/real-estate/houston-home-price-tracker/
  • Not a single area in or around Houston had a decline in property value. You guys we don't live in a small random abandoned town. We live in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. It doesn't matter how many crackheads are on the corner or how many gun shots you hear, property values will ALWAYS increase. Its the basics to the principle of "Supply and Demand"  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, Fortune said:

This portion of Uptown is very unattractive including The Mark 3525 Sage Condominiums, and The Bristol which are very dated looking buildings. However, have property values really declined in the area?

If you check HCAD for 3505 sage rd you will see a definite decline in values over the past 5 years for condos in this building. The unit across from me, 3008, sold for $310K when the building was new. It recently sold for $265K. A gentleman down the hall with the same identical unit (sq feet, view, amenities) purchased his unit 7 years ago for $338K. I have more examples but won’t bore you.

I believe the two issues have created this problem. 1) Covid - the pandemic allowed people to work from home and shifted the demand for housing to the suburbs where it was cheaper and no longer necessary to battle traffic. 2) the freeway construction at the 610/59 interchange is a mess and won’t be completed for 2 more years and has made our little area over here less desirable.

The whole area looks considerably worse than it did 15 years ago. That said… I believe the vacant parcels of land nearby (3535 and 3000 sage) are very valuable and will eventually attract some new investment, maybe when the construction mess clears up.

by the way, check out the values for the Bristol. I heard they have declined more than any other highrise condo building in Houston. It’s an old building and they are having lots of special assessments.

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Definitely has not declined in anyway 😂 I live in the area and they've been increasing every single year. I feel like people throw around "property values gone down" wayyyy to loosely.

Every time something minor happens "yeah things not the same anymore, property values are going down" 

It takes 1 google search to invalidate this

These lots/apartments are all within a 5 min walk from this site (Also, keep in mind, these aren't new builds) 

Lastly, here is a map of Houston property value change over the last year. Also, it has the change of Houston property value average since 2000 (126K in 2000 to 313K in 2022)

• https://www.houstonchronicle.com/projects/real-estate/houston-home-price-tracker/
  • Not a single area in or around Houston had a decline in property value. You guys we don't live in a small random abandoned town. We live in one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. It doesn't matter how many crackheads are on the corner or how many gun shots you hear, property values will ALWAYS increase. Its the basics to the principle of "Supply and Demand"  

Definitely beg to differ. See my response above.

1 hour ago, Mark Resident said:

If you check HCAD for 3505 sage rd you will see a definite decline in values over the past 5 years for condos in this building. The unit across from me, 3008, sold for $310K when the building was new. It recently sold for $265K. A gentleman down the hall with the same identical unit (sq feet, view, amenities) purchased his unit 7 years ago for $338K. I have more examples but won’t bore you.

I believe the two issues have created this problem. 1) Covid - the pandemic allowed people to work from home and shifted the demand for housing to the suburbs where it was cheaper and no longer necessary to battle traffic. 2) the freeway construction at the 610/59 interchange is a mess and won’t be completed for 2 more years and has made our little area over here less desirable.

The whole area looks considerably worse than it did 15 years ago. That said… I believe the vacant parcels of land nearby (3535 and 3000 sage) are very valuable and will eventually attract some new investment, maybe when the construction mess clears up.

by the way, check out the values for the Bristol. I heard they have declined more than any other highrise condo building in Houston. It’s an old building and they are having lots of special assessments.

Definitely beg to differ. See my response above.

Well I beg to differ even more 😌 and you can see my response above as well which lists multiple properties within the immediate vicinity of 3505 Sage. Also, listed in my response is how the land value in and around Houston has only gone up (the property that your building sits on is included). Just because your unit or your neighbors unit is selling for less, it doesn't mean property value is going down (again I provided multiple sources above). The sell price of a condo unit has more to do with the unit/building itself vs the property. For example, if the building is falling apart and is outdated, its not going to sell at the same price it did when it was new, HOWEVER, its not going to be dirt cheap either because of the property value itself, thats that buffer. ANOTHER example, if I bought a lot for 100K, and I build a shed that costs me 50K, then I sold it for 150K, but now that shed is getting kind of wonky, and I only manage to sell it for 140K. Its not because the property lost value but rather the shed on the property itself lost value. 

Again, I listed multiple resources above, you suggest HCAD which only mentions the units and not the property itself. 

So once again, your unit isn't losing value because of the area, it losing value because of your unit/ building itself :) 

Also...saying the area looks worse than it did 15 years ago is hilarious considering a lot of those new nice buildings weren't there, there were a lot of empty lots, the streets were in worse quality, there was hardly any beatification efforts.

So tired of the "times were much better back then" narrative 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Well I beg to differ even more 😌 and you can see my response above as well which lists multiple properties within the immediate vicinity of 3505 Sage. Also, listed in my response is how the land value in and around Houston has only gone up (the property that your building sits on is included). Just because your unit or your neighbors unit is selling for less, it doesn't mean property value is going down (again I provided multiple sources above). The sell price of a condo unit has more to do with the unit/building itself vs the property. For example, if the building is falling apart and is outdated, its not going to sell at the same price it did when it was new, HOWEVER, its not going to be dirt cheap either because of the property value itself, thats that buffer. ANOTHER example, if I bought a lot for 100K, and I build a shed that costs me 50K, then I sold it for 150K, but now that shed is getting kind of wonky, and I only manage to sell it for 140K. Its not because the property lost value but rather the shed on the property itself lost value. 

Again, I listed multiple resources above, you suggest HCAD which only mentions the units and not the property itself. 

So once again, your unit isn't losing value because of the area, it losing value because of your unit/ building itself :) 

Also...saying the area looks worse than it did 15 years ago is hilarious considering a lot of those new nice buildings weren't there, there were a lot of empty lots, the streets were in worse quality, there was hardly any beatification efforts.

So tired of the "times were much better back then" narrative 

I think once construction of 610/59 interchange is completed, we will start to see development south of the Galleria move forward.  

Edited by htownbro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Iconia Hard Rock Houston: Hotel & Condominiums At 3500 Sage Rd.
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 10:30 AM, citykid09 said:

I’ve been seeing commercials for that Hard Rock Hotel in Florida shaped like a guitar and was wondering if this was still happening for Houston. 

No. It's supposed to be residential towers and a random hotelHouston+Aerea+Toma+E-2.jpg?format=1500w

Edited by htownbro
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1