yes great news, except for the reduction in retail!

In this instance, I don't think it's a big loss. There is more than enough retail, bars, and restaurants to support the population that will be moving there. If anything, this might spur some major development to include something more ambitious in the area.

In this instance, I don't think it's a big loss. There is more than enough retail, bars, and restaurants to support the population that will be moving there. If anything, this might spur some major development to include something more ambitious in the area.

Agreed man, that's how I felt about the downsizing of HP. I was happy that it took up quite a bit of open lots and am hoping it spurs new condos and/or rental propoerties in the numerous other open lots in that area. Only time will tell...

I"m really happy to see this coming back from the dead. I don't think the loss of retail space is that big of a deal, small and large retailers come and go very often in the village. It's a tough retail market with the limited parking. I really hope they put some serious thought and planning into the public spaces as that can really be a draw for the walking public.

dream

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Village news Link is reporting a mid July ground breaking and that the project is now called "Ashton Rice Village" with 20k sq ft of retail, and will be built in three phases. They intend to use a brick similar to the ones used at Rice and will have sidewalks 10-20 feet in width to promote pedestrian access.

• Like 3

The Village news Link is reporting a mid July ground breaking and that the project is now called "Ashton Rice Village" with 20k sq ft of retail, and will be built in three phases. They intend to use a brick similar to the ones used at Rice and will have sidewalks 10-20 feet in width to promote pedestrian access.

Wow. This is a complete surprise. I thought that land was going to sit vacant for at least another couple of years. The village can certainly support a bigger project, though. That place is always packed.

I found it interesting that they are also warning people about the parking as well.

I believe there is another thread out there about this project with renderings but perhaps it'll be found and merged. As someone who enjoys and frequents Rice Village, I can't wait for this. This is one of the better pedestrian and bike accessible "activity centers" or whatever you want to call it and this is a large step in the right direction. All it would need now would be some small independent grocer.

Kirby is such a pleasant, walkable street.

I'm going with this is sarcasm. However, Kirby has almost been entirely upgraded between Braeswood and Westheimer (they're still working in the section roughly between Bissonnet and Richmond) with wider sidewalks and increased . While, it isn't avante garde urbanism, it is functional and appropriate for what kind of pedestrian environment currently exists and what can exist.

• 1 month later...

Drove by this morning and there was a new fence around the entire site (including the old walgreens building), some bull dozers and such, and a sign saying Hanover Company construction site. I think this thing is finally getting started.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I suppose with the obvious great view I have of the site from my office...I'll have to start contributing with construction photos :)

The precast parking garage has gone up literally in the past week, it appears that there's 1 or 2 levels underground, and I think the wall components are up to the 7th or 8th level of the garage.

Work on the building has been going on for the past two months, columns have gone in on the 1st floor and they started pouring concrete today for the 2nd floor.

Our view of the Upper Kirby district has pretty much been blocked now, but I'm definitely looking forward to the new restaurants/retail!

post-4902-0-40178000-1323370356_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Rode my bike to Rice Village and took some shots of the progress...

Ashton Rice Village updates:

photos by me

7304542710_a486199c47_b.jpg

Entrance by dv1033, on Flickr

7304543202_a611b2f98a_b.jpg

Entrance2 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304542374_fdde15ffd9_b.jpg

IMAG0389 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304542016_0d0be9ce06_b.jpg

IMAG0390 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304541698_ff2fa5a890_b.jpg

IMAG0391 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304541372_e034b78bef_b.jpg

IMAG0392 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304541066_eda6263821_b.jpg

IMAG0393 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304540536_c5fc76a910_b.jpg

IMAG0394 by dv1033, on Flickr

There's a sizable courtyard area:

7304539646_4879aeb593_b.jpg

IMAG0396 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304539370_0e3fe88496_b.jpg

IMAG0398 by dv1033, on Flickr

7304538254_8e19dda66d_b.jpg

InsidetheCourtyard by dv1033, on Flickr

7304538572_1f137cb647_b.jpg

DeepCourtyard by dv1033, on Flickr

7304538994_bc7139248f_b.jpg

Courtyard by dv1033, on Flickr

This is definitely going to be a great addition to this area.

• Like 2