Memories Of The Heights

WesternGulf

The 90% approval of COA's is actually quoted by Margaret Brown as 85%. Without this being broken down it is meaningless if 90% of the applications are to repair a window or handrail. We have asked but not received a breakdown by category. Additions and new construction are NOT getting an 85% approval. I don't know what the numbers are but in the January meeting 7 of 16 applications were denied COA's. A far cry from 85%.

Define "compatible" and "typical" from the ordinance and then see how many yes votes turn to no.

Edited by BBLLC

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 90% approval of COA's is actually quoted by Margaret Brown as 85%. Without this being broken down it is meaningless if 90% of the applications are to repair a window or handrail. We have asked but not received a breakdown by category. Additions and new construction are NOT getting an 85% approval. I don't know what the numbers are but in the January meeting 7 of 16 applications were denied COA's. A far cry from 85%.

Define "compatible" and "typical" from the ordinance and then see how many yes votes turn to no.

Every month, the HAHC posts the agenda for the upcoming meeting on the website with a detailed narrative of the application submitted and then posts the meeting minutes.  It is very easy to track what exactly is being submitted and the result if you spend a few minutes looking at the website (you would have to use the wayback machine for 2013 as it is no longer posted on the current website). 

I grew up in the nearby 1st Ward but moved to the Heights in the late 80's around 88 or 89 and there was gang activity. The most know gags were:

* Puro Heights

* 8 - Ball Posse

* Bad Company Posse (BCP)

* 6 1/2 Street Gang

And some other's I can't remember off of the top of my head. Also up until the early 90's there a rash of auto thefts in the Heights area. It's good to see that longer isn't the case and that the neighborhood is better off now.

• 3 months later...

I was going through some of my Granddad's stuff at my parents today, and there were two Texas sections from the Chronicle on the Heights. One from August of 1981, and one from April of 1991. Some interesting stories in them. The size is a bit awkward for scanning, but I'll see if I can come up with something.

Edited by Ross

Would love to see these. 

It's nothing short of shameful that the Chronicle doesn't have its archives available online in a more usable format, or the Post archives they own available online at all. If they had something similar to Google's News Archive, it would be amazingly useful:

http://news.google.com/newspapers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe I'll fabricate some new dinos and horrify the overly entitled newer neighbors in their 8/5 scale CraftMcMansions. :ph34r:

Just park one of these on your front lawn and put up year-round Christmas lights and you'll send them all into a tizzy.

lowrider.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

My wife and I are opening a workshop that will specialize in building furniture incorporating  salvaged architectural elements sourced from New Orleans. We are also planning to have a stock of these salvaged pieces to offer on a custom design basis for clients. Planning to offer vintage window and door repair and construction as well.

We are interested in what the readers of this forum have to say about this and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!!!

• The title was changed to Article In The Leader About Problems People In Heights Historic East
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Former Buildings in The Heights
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Norhill Area 11th At Studewood Photos

Back in the 50's, my Mom would take me for lunch at a hamburger stand on 20th street just east of the Heights. I believe that it was call 'the whitehouse'. Does anyone know of such a place at that time? It had an indoor dining area and a take-out window.

• The title was changed to The White House Hamburger Stand In The Heights
  • 4 months later...

Man I'm glad yall posted this.... 

I grew up in the 70s on Arlington Street in the Heights and was some of my earliest memories were driving past the plaster dinosaurs on the way home..... 

And yes there were pictures of them and and one day dad threw my brother and I in the bathtub and threw a small mattress over us....a tornado hit the heights in 75 or so during hurricane Alicia.... The Next day trees were down and crashed all over cars in their driveways... And I think that was the end of the heights Dinosaurs.... 

Thanks for sharing this everyone.... I'm 51 now and was about 4 years old when I remember the Dino friends.... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, weirdmagazine said:

Man I'm glad yall posted this.... 

I grew up in the 70s on Arlington Street in the Heights and was some of my earliest memories were driving past the plaster dinosaurs on the way home..... 

And yes there were pictures of them and and one day dad threw my brother and I in the bathtub and threw a small mattress over us....a tornado hit the heights in 75 or so during hurricane Alicia.... The Next day trees were down and crashed all over cars in their driveways... And I think that was the end of the heights Dinosaurs.... 

Thanks for sharing this everyone.... I'm 51 now and was about 4 years old when I remember the Dino friends.... 

Alicia was August of 1983.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Is Nicholson Street Is A New Street