Jensen And Navigation Blvd. Roundabout

15 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I know of 4 in the greater Houston area.

1. Main St. at Montrose Blvd.

2. Washington Ave. at Wescott St.

3. South side of the Washburn Tunnel.

4. North side of the Washburn Tunnel.

There aren't very many inside the 610 Loop (only 5 of them), but there are plenty in the Houston area.  You can import the attached KML file into Google Earth to get the location of all the roundabouts in Texas.  There seem to be well over 100 in the Houston area alone, with a large concentration in a neighborhood in Cypress.

roundabouts.jpg

roundabout_export_9_23_2022.kml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, JBTX said:

The double roundabouts off i45 and 1375 en route to Sam Houston National Forest are always a trip. They are just so random and seemingly out of place. Love em.

There's one on Buffalo speedway that isn't even an intersection. Just...a roundabout. For funzies.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:50 AM, cspwal said:

Until people run the roundabouts using lifted trucks through the middle

Wait until they come across a Diverging Diamond.

I've run across a few of these in the last ten years, and they're always startling to me.

I haven't seen any in my — admittedly limited — Houston travels yet.

9 hours ago, editor said:

Wait until they come across a Diverging Diamond.

I've run across a few of these in the last ten years, and they're always startling to me.

I haven't seen any in my — admittedly limited — Houston travels yet.

In Lexington the circle highway has maybe 12 major interchanges, and there’s a diverging diamond, a single point urban interchange (SPUI), a cloverleaf, a 3 level stack, 4 normal exit ramps, and a bunch of traffic lights

incidentally, the Kentucky traffic engineering school is located at UK right there

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

having recently been at this intersection near school dismissal (I'm guessing the "Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School"), and seeing waiting parents parked on Jensen, and then wrapped around the corner onto Navigation, I am wondering how this roundabout is going to look around school dismissal?

especially, if as it appears, there's only one lane on Jensen headed north as it comes out of this roundabout. 

6 hours ago, samagon said:

having recently been at this intersection near school dismissal (I'm guessing the "Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic School"), and seeing waiting parents parked on Jensen, and then wrapped around the corner onto Navigation, I am wondering how this roundabout is going to look around school dismissal?

especially, if as it appears, there's only one lane on Jensen headed north as it comes out of this roundabout. 

The parents will just keep going around the circle until they see their kid

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard from someone who is familiar with the project that there might be some community pushback with this project. Did anyone attend the meeting or get the vibe that the community does not want this? 

• Sad 1

Well that would be immensely disappointing. I have a hard time thinking what about the new intersection design would be objectionable, though I get people don't generally like construction and/or change.

4 hours ago, Justin Welling said:

Heard from someone who is familiar with the project that there might be some community pushback with this project. Did anyone attend the meeting or get the vibe that the community does not want this? 

Some folks at a recent super neighborhood meeting voiced opposition, mostly on the grounds that they're prefer the status quo over a roundabout. Another claim was that they were given no notice. The East End District has had information about the project displayed for a decade now, including blurbs about the date, time and place of myriad meetings. 

Of those in the room, it appeared to be a vocal minority rather than the majority. 

https://www.eastenddistrict.com/capital-projects/navigation-jensen-runnels-roundabout/

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like work may be starting. There are trees that are fenced off near the sidewalk and they were using machinery to tear up some sidewalk. There is fiber optics signage along the sidewalk as well but I wouldn’t imagine they would rip up pavement to install fiber optic cables and then do it all over again when the actual work begins. 

• Like 5

One of those "I'll believe it when I see it" projects.   There has been a lot of fiber optic infrastructure work going on the the neighborhoods around here.  Our Sidewalks are pretty torn up still, and the streetscape is a mess as a result.  Waiting for the contractors to come backs are repair the sidewalks...but, It's taking a long damn time.   I do hope that this is a sign that the roundabout is a "go" though.    

The Navigation-Jensen-Runnels Roundabout is underway and we wanted to inform you of the latest construction details. 

Important Note: Updated renderings of the project's first quadrant outside of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church are available HERE

Here are other key updates:

1. Construction Progress:The first phase of this project will begin the week of July 10th with surveyors walking the area in preparation to improve stormwater drainage at the St. Charles intersection. 

2. Traffic Management: Throughout the construction process, we have diligently managed traffic flow to minimize disruptions to commuters and local businesses. Temporary detours and alternative routes have been established, and traffic control measures are in place to ensure safety and efficiency.

3. Community Engagement:We continue to prioritize community engagement and have held regular meetings with local stakeholders to address concerns and gather valuable feedback. The community's input has played an essential role in refining the project's design and implementation.

4. Environmental Impact:Environmental considerations are paramount in our project planning. We have implemented measures to minimize the environmental impact of construction and ensure the preservation of the surrounding ecosystem.

We understand the importance of open communication and transparency throughout this project. Should you have any questions or require further information, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

The project's completion will be around the end of Summer 2024 contingent on weather, materials, and other factors. Make sure to visit our website to stay up to date on the latest happenings in East End. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:53 PM, samagon said:

Drove past during this line up yesterday and it blocks Navigation because a lane is closed at St Charles. Hopefully they can figure out a better solution after the construction. Is the school's pickup time so short that all the parents have to be there immediately as school ends?

• 2 weeks later...