Icon M Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

Sparrow

13 minutes ago, Triton said:

And just one more reason this city, at least in the loop, needs zoning. That's why a rather large indoor/outdoor music hall (WOMH) was able to be built in my neighborhood... because there's no zoning and developers can build whatever they want wherever they want. I also have a feeling that if we had zoning, we'd have more walkable commercial areas.

We'd also have less development.

53 minutes ago, Triton said:

I also have a feeling that if we had zoning, we'd have more walkable commercial areas.

Evidence from the past several decades would indicate the exact opposite. 

The most walkable places in the country and around the world were developed organically, usually on small lots, without any central planning (other than laying out rights of way and platting lots, if that). While it's theoretically possible to urban-plan your way into walkability, in practice zoning is pretty good at sewing the seeds for car-dependence, by implementing use segregation, density limits, minimum setbacks and parking requirements.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 11:16 PM, NoMoHouTx said:

As for a 20 story monster in my backyard vs a 3 story townhome or townhome complex?  A 20 story wall will completely, and I do mean completely, cover any view i have of open space/sky and my guess is that in the summer time the backyard will go dark around 4 pm.  in the winter time, there will never be any direct sunlight.  With a townhome development or something half the size of a 20 story building, the impact on light, sun, sky etc would not be nearly as severe.

I applaud your reasonable expectation that they allow neighborhood feedback. Unlike so many that just go straight to the "fight against it with all of your being", it's refreshing. 

I personally would miss the sun, but the lowering of my energy bill during the summer thanks to the shade this thing will create would be very welcome. And the ability to sit in my backyard in the shade on an August afternoon enjoying a summery beverage without getting a massive sunburn would be awesome. 

what kind of tree do you currently have? it will still have direct sunlight for a portion of the day, and perhaps that will be enough, and maybe, if it's in the shade during the hottest parts of the day as you suggest, it might flourish in those conditions. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 0:55 PM, Angostura said:

Evidence from the past several decades would indicate the exact opposite. 

The most walkable places in the country and around the world were developed organically, usually on small lots, without any central planning (other than laying out rights of way and platting lots, if that). While it's theoretically possible to urban-plan your way into walkability, in practice zoning is pretty good at sewing the seeds for car-dependence, by implementing use segregation, density limits, minimum setbacks and parking requirements.

Well, it gives you the power to encourage walkable development and it gives you the power to prevent it. Many cities (e.g. Austin and Dallas) have fostered walkable development by identifying certain roadways as pedestrian commercial corridors, requiring zero setbacks and GFR, and prohibiting incompatible uses, parking garage entrances, curb cuts, etc. There are also certain soft tactics like giving extra FAR or density credits for doing things like adding public spaces or awnings to a project. Think how much different West Gray would look if there had been some way of preventing the big public storage building, forcing the CVS at Bagby to be built up to the hard corner, requiring Dolce Living to have GFR, etc. Then other developers would feel confident putting a high quality product along that street and not fearing that it would be ruined by more public storage, etc. As it stands, I doubt it develops into a great walkable street, despite the early promise of Post Midtown Square.

Of course, zoning can also be used against walkable development for the reasons you mention - setbacks, minimum parking, etc. But then, Houston went ahead and created ordinances for those anyway. It also can work against an organic mixture of uses, slows (or stops completely) the process of densification/urbanization, and prohibits organic changes in the cityscape. Would the Galleria area have developed the way it did if we had zoning, the most dramatic suburban skyline in the U.S.? Or would it have been much more bland, like Tyson's Corner or Addison?  

Edited by H-Town Man

2 hours ago, samagon said:

I applaud your reasonable expectation that they allow neighborhood feedback. Unlike so many that just go straight to the "fight against it with all of your being", it's refreshing. 

I personally would miss the sun, but the lowering of my energy bill during the summer thanks to the shade this thing will create would be very welcome. And the ability to sit in my backyard in the shade on an August afternoon enjoying a summery beverage without getting a massive sunburn would be awesome. 

what kind of tree do you currently have? it will still have direct sunlight for a portion of the day, and perhaps that will be enough, and maybe, if it's in the shade during the hottest parts of the day as you suggest, it might flourish in those conditions. 

The tree in my backyard is a very mature Japanese Blueberry.  It's tall (I'm guessing about 40') and does a great job of shading the back side of my townhome in the summer time while also shading the yard.  The tree is listed as full sun to partial shade so I'm not sure what it's severely limited direct sunlight exposure will mean once this 20 story development goes up.   While a reduced electric bill in the summer time may be nice, it's not nearly as nice as being able to look out of my kitchen window/back door window and see greenery/sky/sunsets etc.  I'll be staring at the backside of a parking garage.  Let's see if the developer cares enough to at least make the backside of his building not a 100% eye sore.

1 hour ago, NoMoHouTx said:

The tree in my backyard is a very mature Japanese Blueberry.  It's tall (I'm guessing about 40') and does a great job of shading the back side of my townhome in the summer time while also shading the yard.  The tree is listed as full sun to partial shade so I'm not sure what it's severely limited direct sunlight exposure will mean once this 20 story development goes up.   While a reduced electric bill in the summer time may be nice, it's not nearly as nice as being able to look out of my kitchen window/back door window and see greenery/sky/sunsets etc.  I'll be staring at the backside of a parking garage.  Let's see if the developer cares enough to at least make the backside of his building not a 100% eye sore.

I think it's also fair to note that you built your house (or the previous resident did) as tall as the blueberry tree preventing any sunlight from reaching in during the first half of the day. 

Granted, if the 20 story building was to your east that wouldn't matter, but owning a lot doesn't mean you get guaranteed unfettered sunlight coverage for your backyard. 

The renderings posted above did have a glass veneer on the parking structure, so I would hope that stays!

4 minutes ago, NoMoHouTx said:

The proposed 20 story building is directly to my east.  I'm hoping the tree survives as due to its size and branching out the way it does, it will serve as nice foreground to the parking garage that will rise directly behind it on the adjacent lot where the restaurant currently sits

Ohhhhhh. I thought you were in one of the townhomes with a tree in the backyard bordering to the west where the tree is boxed in on all 3 sides already. 

50 minutes ago, NoMoHouTx said:

The proposed 20 story building is directly to my east.

Is your Japanese Blueberry in the Montrose median?

I used to own on the block just south and was a regular at Khun Kay through when she retired (food went downhill after that IMO though some items were still good).

It does seem like a small block to fit this size in but as far as the area, but this is the direction things are going. Every apartment going up or proposed in the area are in the 8 story range. I for one look forward to the density.

image.png.f2ce803d2f0e435ce9d949d90028f10e.png

6 hours ago, skwatra said:

Is your Japanese Blueberry in the Montrose median?

I used to own on the block just south and was a regular at Khun Kay through when she retired (food went downhill after that IMO though some items were still good).

It does seem like a small block to fit this size in but as far as the area, but this is the direction things are going. Every apartment going up or proposed in the area are in the 8 story range. I for one look forward to the density.

image.png.f2ce803d2f0e435ce9d949d90028f10e.png

Oops..I misspoke.  The 20 story building will be directly to my WEST!   The sun sets in the west...duh! My bad.  It's the afternoon and evening sun that will be almost totally blocked out during the summer months by this building. 

The setback variances were approved, subject to certain conditions on the plat:

Montrose Boulevard- 15’ Walkway with 8’ unobstructed sidewalk & 5’ Landscaping Buffer with Min. 3’ Caliper Trees.

Along West Clay, 13’ Walkway with 8’ Unobstructed sidewalk a 10’ Landscaping Buffer with Min. 3’ Caliper Trees.

Screening covering parking garage & on eastern building side, provide opaque windows to prevent disruption to SFR housing.

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

The setback variances were approved, subject to certain conditions on the plat:

@nomohoutx Your thoughts? They're going to cover the garage at least and do some walkability stuff with the sidewalks. 

Edited by wilcal

On 9/21/2018 at 6:18 PM, wilcal said:

@nomohoutx Your thoughts? They're going to cover the garage at least and do some walkability stuff with the sidewalks. 

I think it's great what they're doing with the walkability improvements and am very happy to hear they are taking into consideration the neighboring townhomes with the design of the garage.  I am very curious to see how this project develops and to see what the final product will look like.   

• The title was changed to Montrose Gardens: 20-Stories
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Icon M Tower: NEC of Montrose & West Clay
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Variance request signs are up at Kuhn Kay. Talked with the lady at the counter, the restaurant is going to relocate during construction and then re-open in the GFR of the tower. 

0ABFD5A0-6E28-4369-98A1-D4D29C22470E.jpeg

Seeing home made printed Variance signs don't give me much confidence in the developer being well capitalized.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the official Notice of Variance notification from the city the other day.  It looks like the ground floor retail is no longer part of this project.  Under 'Statement of Facts' is the following:

'The plan for the building is to provide 70+ luxury residential high-rise units with 5 floors of parking and no retail on the street side........The Montrose favorite Khun Kay Thai is planning to relocate just down the street and open to continue to serve the Montrose area their delicious Thai cuisine.'

It also mentions that inspiration for this building comes from ICONSAIM in Thailand and Garden by the Bay in Singapore....

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

My architectural knowledge is significantly less than many on this board, but isn't the Singapore example a giant covered garden with tall mushroom like supports; and the Thai example a glass tower over a giant upscale shopping center (with more in common with many Singapore towers)? I might be wrong on the Bangkok building.

My usual trusty imagination fails trying to merge the two concepts.

I look forward to seeing the designs.

With all the new residential construction on or planned for Montrose Blvd, are there plans for improved public transit beyond the 56 bus?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

My architectural knowledge is significantly less than many on this board, but isn't the Singapore example a giant covered garden with tall mushroom like supports; and the Thai example a glass tower over a giant upscale shopping center (with more in common with many Singapore towers)? I might be wrong on the Bangkok building.

My usual trusty imagination fails trying to merge the two concepts.

I look forward to seeing the designs.

With all the new residential construction on or planned for Montrose Blvd, are there plans for improved public transit beyond the 56 bus?

Not sure if you've seen the improvements along Studewood, but that's basically what is coming to Montrose Blvd. Along the median of Studewood they added pedestrian crossings for better access to stops, wider sidewalks along the majority of the street and the bus shelters look really nice. 

https://www.ridemetro.org/Pages/METRO-BOOST-Network.aspx

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

• The title was changed to Icon M Tower: NEC Of Montrose & West Clay St.